SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger SR-556 takedown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR-556 takedown Login/Join 
posted
Any experiences? I heard that early on there were supposed issues with carrier tilt in the SR-556 series, and that there used to be more versions available, but now it seems like the Takedown version is the only version still in production. Also know they were somewhat pricy, which may be why they’ve pretty much dropped off the radar, but I see that CDNN is selling them for $1K. Worth taking a risk at that price? TIA.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Any experiences? I heard that early on there were supposed issues with carrier tilt in the SR-556 series, and that there used to be more versions available, but now it seems like the Takedown version is the only version still in production. Also know they were somewhat pricy, which may be why they’ve pretty much dropped off the radar, but I see that CDNN is selling them for $1K. Worth taking a risk at that price? TIA.

When I had mine, ( non- TD ) it had the improved BC that dealt with the carrier tilt issue. I had mine about five years or more ago, so I'm willing to bet that any current production rifles you encounter now are also good to go.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one with 5.56 and 300 Blackout bbls. I've fired mine a total of 1013 rounds in all calibers. Inside the buffer tube from the end and going in about 1/8" there is wear in the black finish, but I can't see or feel any wearing away of metal.

I had a heck of a time getting acceptable accuracy (to me) with the 5.56 bbl. Everything but Hornady 62gr BTHP loads (I load my own ammo) gave 2-3" groups at 100yd with a scope. I wanted under 2". The Hornady bullets give consistent 1 1/2" 100yd groups. I'm happy with that.

The Blackout bbl shot fine with several loads. In fact, using the Takedown in Blackout, I took an 8pt whitetail this season with Barnes 110gr black tip bullets.

You'll play heck trying to buy the Blackout conversion. Ruger stopped making them per my call to them asking why not in stock. "Keep checking back in our web store...maybe more will be made." I found one new via Armslist at about $50 under retail.

Very nice trigger, close to the MBT or SSA. Nice stock. Rifle keeps very clean. I shoot both bbls on gas setting "1" with zero failures. The 5.56 bbl is shot stock. The Blackout bbl uses a suppressor and "plays" very well with the Crux Ark30 for accuracy. Have never shot subsonic ammo in the Blackout bbl.

Now this is just MY speculation, but with CDNN blowing them out at $999, I suspect Ruger is stopping making them. I have no inside information about that, it's just that I've seen sales such as this before when a company has/is stopping production of certain models. Example: Ruger stopped making the 5.56 RPR and CDNN bought the remaining and sold them deeply discounted.

Since I shoot scoped due to my age and eyes, and I didn't feel like re-sighting when switching bbls, I decided at $999 it was too good to pass up, so when it arrives in a day, I'll then have 2 of them. I'll keep one each in each caliber and scope optic sighted in. Since I already know and have tested the 5.56 bbl of my first one, I will use that bbl on the 2nd.

And FWIW, I keep records on and gage bbl wear. The 5.56 bbl in 844 rounds has only had the throat wear/advance .033". Assuming it continues to wear at that slow rate, it ought to have a life of 25,575 rounds fired slowly (5 rounds and cool to ambient temp). (1"/.033") x 844 rounds = 25,575 rounds until the throat or rifling has advanced 1" (US military standard for worn out).

I give the Takedown a thumbs up, especially since Ruger put in the better trigger and slimmed down the hand guard.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been intrigued by the 556 but like practically all other piston ARs, they were priced to high for me. It's gonna be a shame if they're discontinued.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dae Zee:

Now this is just MY speculation, but with CDNN blowing them out at $999, I suspect Ruger is stopping making them. I have no inside information about that, it's just that I've seen sales such as this before when a company has/is stopping production of certain models. Example: Ruger stopped making the 5.56 RPR and CDNN bought the remaining and sold them deeply discounted.

I suspect you're right. CDNN seems to get great buys on discontinued models.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I also suspect Ruger may finally be discontinuing them. They dropped the other SR-556 models earlier and the 300 BO barrel seems to be currently unavailable almost everywhere. To be fair, they probably have themselves to blame with a MSRP of $2200, which is too much to swallow for almost everyone, especially with the current AR glut.

Wouldn’t have considered it at the original price, or even at a $1400-$1500 street price, but seems a lot more palatable at $1000. Went ahead and got one as my last purchase of 2018.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My original one was serial #26xx, and I have had it at least two years. The new one is serial #4320. Maybe they have not made or sold lots of them. Weather permitting, I will sight it in tomorrow.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sighted in the new Takedown using the 556 bbl from my old Takedown (bbl #1). As hoped, the load that bbl #1 liked previously, it still liked on the new lower and upper (1 1/2"). Pulled USGI M193 bullets gave 2 1/2". However, while I used gas setting 1 on the old lower, I had to use 2 on the new lower...suspect it was due to the lower parts needing breaking in, although I'd lubed the BCG and buffer tube generously. Some areas (outside of bbl assembly, inside upper receiver, and hammer) were not as smooth and as dark in color as the older Takedown. Will monitor and periodically try gas 1. The new Takedown trigger has some creep in the first stage; will also see if it gets smoother with use. 2nd stage of the trigger pull was fine. I am happy with it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
e

Got an email from Ruger.

1) It said nothing about the SR 556 Takedown being discontinued or remaining in production.

2) "The 300 Blackout Barrel Kit will be available again early 2019."

3) "We do not offer the barrel kit for the 5.56 Takedown." I shoot a lot and want an extra 5.56 bbl assembly (since a regular AR15 bbl will not work). Maybe I'll call and ask if I sent my rifle in would they then sell all the bbl assembly parts. Seemed easy enough to sell me the 5.56 bbl assembly if it is still in production.

posted Hide Post
Called Ruger. They will not sell me a 5.56 bbl assembly unless I return a Takedown with a broken or worn out 5.56 bbl, in which case they will keep the broken/worn out bbl assembly. They will not issue a RMA unless the bbl is broken or worn out.

The SR556 Takedown is discontinued. They will keep the bbl making equipment in case more bbls are needed in the future I was told.