SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 500 upgrades/best part swaps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 500 upgrades/best part swaps Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted
Titles says it all. I just have it for a home defense and fun gun, and my only previous shotty experience was some O-U's and doubles. Its' sorta a tactical model, but only holds 6+1. Any way to up that, and what chokes do ya'll recommend/ have fun shooting?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You'd have to replace the mag tube, which would mean a different barrel as well. The only package I know of (which I used to enhance one of mine) is a twenty inch. You won't be able to swap other 500 barrels onto it anymore after that.
I also replaced the mag tube follower with a blaze orange aluminum one.
All these parts were from Brownell's.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I also did the mag tube & barrel swap.
All metal trigger group.
Extended safety.
Knoxx recoil stock.

I guess I put as much more into it as it's worth, but it's how I want it now.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I added this Surefire forend weapon light and I really like it. The one it is on is the shotgun next to my bed.

The Knoxx stock is a must and I have that on it as well. I also put an Eotech on it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I added an enhanced tang safety to my Mossberg model 500 410. It was a Pro-Mag brand that I ordered from Walmart.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Definitely upgrade the safety switch. The OEM plastic switch tends to lose the captive ball bearing, then the switch won't stay in position. Drives you nuts when shooting. That's when people start jamming paper to secure it. Better to upgrade it before it happens.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me old fashioned, but what is wrong with leaving it it just the way it came? I've got a 500 and have no compelling urge to go changing shit.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
Call me old fashioned, but what is wrong with leaving it it just the way it came? I've got a 500 and have no compelling urge to go changing shit.

The safety lever upgrade sounds like good advice. As to the rest, "it depends."

To each his own, really. It boils down to the essence of:

Some take ice in their scotch, others don't. Only dickbags criticize what another man puts in his mouth.

It used to flare up more often when "sporterizing" milsurps was a thing. I'm not sure who does that anymore. Availability of said milsurps, and availability of things you can just buy instead of "sporterizing" are certainly factors.

What are "necessary" upgrades, and what are "best" upgrades are two separate questions, and depending on the gun, you have to be careful you aren't polishing a sneaker.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I replaced the safety lever on mine because it was extremely stiff. The serations were eating my thumb up.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
most of ya'll are mentioning the safety, so I must ask how often you move it. I generally do not have the safety on any of my HD guns, so how often would I encounter this issue, since I am not flipping it on and off.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
most of ya'll are mentioning the safety, so I must ask how often you move it. I generally do not have the safety on any of my HD guns, so how often would I encounter this issue, since I am not flipping it on and off.

You'd be using it all the time. Without spring tension, the safety tends to go on, and you have to move it for every shot. Or tape it in the fire position.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations for upgraded safety? My son will use as his main hd so I want it right...

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
Any recommendations for upgraded safety? My son will use as his main hd so I want it right...

Here's the one I got...

M500 Metal Safety

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I used the Pro-Mag. The little extra meat was what I wanted.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post