SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin .44 mag lever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin .44 mag lever Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
$579.00 in the sunday ad

Don't walk, run like hell and buy it at that price.

I have a Winchester 1894 Trapper in .44 and it is a great brush gun. I shot a doe at around 50 yards with it and she dropped like she was hit by a train.

Seriously, grab it and enjoy.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
^ What Jimbo said. Bendable, I hope your next post is a picture of your new Marlin. Wink

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very capable, fast-handling and compact rifle. I've shot a 1894P in .44 Magnum (16.25" barrel with 6-groove Ballard rifling). Very accurate for its size with a variety of jacketed bullets. I haven't tried anything heavier than 240 grains, so I don't know whether the longer bullets would be as accurate.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So dumb question for the guy who has never owned a rifle that wasn't fed by a magazine and had a lot of "plastic".....if I wanted a carbine/rifle and a pistol/revolver in the same caliber (that would be socially acceptable in any state), what should I be looking for?

Like the OP, I was looking for a .357mag lever action, but as already noted, they're scarce as hen's teeth.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Winchester 94 30-30, Marlin 1894P 44 Mag

Ruger 96/44

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jelly,

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Wife gave me a pristine JM Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited with a 24 inch octogon barrel in .44spec/.44mag last year for valentines day. I highly recommend them. They are superb lever guns.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
So dumb question for the guy who has never owned a rifle that wasn't fed by a magazine and had a lot of "plastic".....if I wanted a carbine/rifle and a pistol/revolver in the same caliber (that would be socially acceptable in any state), what should I be looking for?

Like the OP, I was looking for a .357mag lever action, but as already noted, they're scarce as hen's teeth.

It took me a LONG time to get both of my "combos".
I wanted a Marlin in 38/357 and a pistol to match.
I also wanted the same combo in 44.
Oh, and everything stainless. Smile

The 38/357 combo I lucked into...I walked into the LGS one day and they were unpacking a Marlin 1894SS in 357 AND someone had traded in a 4" GP100 in stainless the day before.

I bought a 5" SS Redhawk in 44 not long afterwards, but it took 2 years before a stainless, JM stamped Marlin in 44 showed up.

So, I advise patience. I believe for sheer versatility, the 38/357 combo is the way to go...again, my opinion.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For the price of a new Remlin, I would take your time and try and source a clean used specimen that is pre-Remington. I have found a few at local gun shops and pawn shops over the last few years for less than 5 bills; I have handled many Remlins since they began cranking them out in late 2009 and they pale in comparison- visually and mechanically.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want an 1873 in .44 mag so bad. Uberti makes one, but I am too chicken to get it. The toggle link works makes me nervous with that load. Don't really need a bolt to the face. It is just the looks of the 1873 that makes me weak. Beautiful rifle.

I am sure that it is safe or they would not have it out. But everything I have read about the 1873 and full 44 mag loads gives me pause.

Will be looking into the later models 1894 to see what I like. Is the quality of Marlins still like it was in the late 80's and 90's?

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Many will say that the Remington/Marlins (Remlins) aren't as nice as the old Marlins.

I can't really say, as I have never had a Remlin. What I am getting is that the very first Remlins had some problems but that they are now better. Maybe not up to the old standard of Marlin, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of info in this thread from the SASS Website...pay attention the posts from "Widow Maker Hill" (known far and wide as the "Marlin Whisperer"...he is one of the better Marlin gunsmiths around these parts)...

https://www.sassnet.com/forums...894-44-magnum-newby/

Of course...SASS shooters run their rifles in ways "normal" folks never would, so YMMV Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Many will say that the Remington/Marlins (Remlins) aren't as nice as the old Marlins.

I can't really say, as I have never had a Remlin. What I am getting is that the very first Remlins had some problems but that they are now better. Maybe not up to the old standard of Marlin, though.

I have a 1982 vintage Marlin 1894 in .357. I also have a Remlin 1895 in .45-70. The Remlin is a little rougher in the action than the Marlin, but it was also purchased brand new and hasn't had 30+ years, and thousands of action cycles to break it in. As far as fit and finish go, the Remlin is the equal of the older Marlin, although it has a few elements that I don't care for (plastic parts in the sights, cross-bolt safety).

Altogether I'm happy with both guns. I do like the older Marlin a bit better, but I have experienced nothing that would dissuade me from buying another Remlin, nor would I pay a premium to purchase a used Marlin over a new Remlin.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Rossi lever S/S 20 inch rifles, one in 44 and the other 357. These are not Marlin quality, but I have shot these a lot and have not had a single problem with either of them. These were bought as a divorce present to myself!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

I have a 1982 vintage Marlin 1894 in .357. I also have a Remlin 1895 in .45-70. The Remlin is a little rougher in the action than the Marlin, but it was also purchased brand new and hasn't had 30+ years, and thousands of action cycles to break it in. As far as fit and finish go, the Remlin is the equal of the older Marlin, although it has a few elements that I don't care for (plastic parts in the sights, cross-bolt safety).

Altogether I'm happy with both guns. I do like the older Marlin a bit better, but I have experienced nothing that would dissuade me from buying another Remlin, nor would I pay a premium to purchase a used Marlin over a new Remlin.

I'm glad you like yours, and that the new ones are generally up to snuff. I haven't closely examined any Remlins, as mine are all older. I've seen some at the gun shows, and they weren't obviously deficient, although maybe didn't have quite as nice walnut.

But there is a definite perception (maybe wrong), that they aren't as desirable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
There isnt a big difference in the last few years between the two. If I was not an enthusiast and just an everyday joe hunter, I would happily buy a Remlin and use it for its intended purpose. Being a gun guy im also somewhat of a purist. I dont own US made Sigs, I dont own Japanes made Winchesters. Thats not to say they cant put out a good or in some cases a better product. I simply want stuff the way it was meant to be, that includes JM Marlins. The Marlins have more to do with the fact that everyting Remington touches turns to shit. I dont own any Remington products and never will.

I told buddy of mine recently when he was looking for Marlin Guide, if you dont care about the history or collectability and just want something to beat around in the woods, save the money and buy a Remlin. You'll have a 7 out of 10 chance of getting a good one.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
I just can't make myself like hiw the Henry is loaded, although i can find a Henry. 357 in 3 stores here on the gulf coast.

+1. I can’t belive they haven’t made one that loads through the receiver yet.

I would have bought one years ago if they made it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Remlin Guide gun in 45/70-Stainless with laminated stock. Overall fit and finish were as good as JM Marlin. I did buff all the rough spots out of the lever. I shot it and my Marlin 444P. Couldnt zero my scope on the 45/70. The factory didn't lock tite the AO mount......easy fix but not in North Woods Maine. 444P got the job done.( Warpig your Zeiss scope on AO mount/Larue QD) Smile
My favorite Marlin is my 44. Picked up from my FFL only to find out the stock was cracked. Easy fix-my FFL drove to the factory. It was restocked with a much higher grade wood. Back in "The old days".

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
I want an 1873 in .44 mag so bad. Uberti makes one, but I am too chicken to get it. The toggle link works makes me nervous with that load. Don't really need a bolt to the face. It is just the looks of the 1873 that makes me weak. Beautiful rifle.

I am sure that it is safe or they would not have it out. But everything I have read about the 1873 and full 44 mag loads gives me pause.

Will be looking into the later models 1894 to see what I like. Is the quality of Marlins still like it was in the late 80's and 90's?

You may want to check out Cimarron's 1873 in .44mag. It's made by Uberti is over built for the magnum cartridge.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
I just can't make myself like hiw the Henry is loaded, although i can find a Henry. 357 in 3 stores here on the gulf coast.

+1. I can’t belive they haven’t made one that loads through the receiver yet.

I would have bought one years ago if they made it.

You're going to miss out on some finely made Wisconsin rifles. We don't discriminate against tube feed in this house.

Picked these up last week, 1894 in 25-20 and a 375 in 375Win

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://gunwatcher.com/marlin-...guns-best-price-link

They seem to run from $472 to $830 online.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post