SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin .44 mag lever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin .44 mag lever Login/Join 
posted
On sale at Field and stream stores in my area.

Its weird though.
they had the ad in the sunday paper, but I can not find them on line

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
GO BUY IT NOW

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The .44s are easier to find than .357s, but still not super common.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Yeah my wife wanted one. The LGS said "they're hard to get probably take months". Went and looked at his distributor and the clouds parted and he said "well, they have two of them, you want one?" A week later she was shooting it and giggling. Go figure.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I miss the ones I used to own. Frown

Please go get it and enjoy it for me.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why Marlin doesn't quit screwing around and make some of their .357 magnum 1894 carbines. They're in great demand.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Like many manufacturers, real Marlin used to make them in batches and when the supply was gone, they were gone for a long time.You could wait years. What Remington is doing, who can say.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I have zero to back this up.

Several states are allowing straight wall cartridge rifles for deer hunting, that formerly allowed only shotguns.

I can well imagine this has created a run on anything chambered as such. Hell, Ruger is catalogueing a bolt action .450 Bushmaster.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several states are allowing straight wall cartridge rifles for deer hunting,

Iowa

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do most people own .357 mag guns ?
or do most own .44 mag guns?

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

The cost of 44 mag led me to go the 357 route. But i know several coworkers who own 44 mag firearms and only one i know of has a 357 revolver.

None are marlin carbines though. Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I bought my Marlin 1894 357 and 1894P 44 Mag back in the 1990s. Even back than the 1894 44 mag 45 Colt were much easier to come by than the 357. It took me about 7 mouths of looking before I found a 357 at a area chain store. I did not see another 1894 in 357 for more than two years after that.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I don't know. But I see a lot of .44s on Gunbroker, and many fewer .357s. The .44s go for $600 or $650 new. The .357s are all used and are more like $1000.

The .357s are more popular.

I've also heard what someone else said - the factory makes them in batches, and you don't know when a run will be produced. Maybe that availability will flip in a year? Who knows.

The .357s are a blast to shoot, and the ammo is much less expensive. But, the .44 is a capable short range deer and hog gun, and the .357 is not as capable. Adequate for that size game, but not much more than adequate.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My levers are mainly .357 for Cowboy Shooting. .44 is great because you can fire full power rounds for hogs or deer, and .44 Specials for plinking.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Bendable, my Marlin 1894C in .44 mag is one of very few guns I regret parting with and I hope to someday replace it with the .357 stainless version. Starting to feel like that's going to become a long-term grail gun project if I don't get to it soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I searched for a .357 mag. It was futile.

Ended up with a Henry in .45 LC instead because I just "had" to have a lever gun. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Strange. My distributors show them in stock.

For $100 more though I prefer a Henry.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just can't make myself like hiw the Henry is loaded, although i can find a Henry. 357 in 3 stores here on the gulf coast.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I still want a .44 lever gun...and if I'm honest probably a .357 and a .45 Colt as wall, but the .44 comes first! However, I'm still leery about new Marlins after Remington took over. I have this perception that, while they are not BAD guns now, it might not be worth paying the premium over something like a Rossi to pick one up anymore. Plus, as far as I can tell, Remington kept the stupid 1:38 twist on the barrels instead of dropping to the now-common 1:20 twist in their .44 barrels. As I would almost certainly be handloading the .44's, that is likely to put some fairly strict limit on how heavy of a bullet I could load.

I have this dream that Remington gets strapped for cash, and sells the Marlin name and products to Ruger to help re-focus their portfolio. I feel like Ruger would make better Marlins than Remington would. Sadly, it's just a dream.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$579.00 in the sunday ad