SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which offset buis ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which offset buis ? Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
Magpul Pros and Daniel Defense are my go to, but the Griffin Armaments caught my eye and they aren't super expensive.

I want to keep them small as possible but durable. Thoughts?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Troy makes a set of quality offset sights.

Their standard BUIS are what I prefer anyway, so I naturally got their offset sights when I wanted to try the concept out on one of my rifles.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
...when I wanted to try the concept out on one of my rifles.

I agree, I have a Badger One mount and I just feel the need for back ups just in case.

David W.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
offset sights

?

Posts: 27829 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
?

Offset iron sights put the iron sights at a 45ish degree angle from the top of the receiver. This allows you to have BUIS along with a magnified optic, without having to dismount the optic in order to use the iron sights.

Instead, you just cant the rifle towards the left to bring the irons vertical and in alignment with your eye when you need to use them.

Like standard BUIS, some are fixed while others fold.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was using Magpul Pros but have recently switched to offset RDS instead.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
once upon a time I was in this camp. But at this point with so many great 1-x optics exactly why would one head down that path any more? But in any case I used the Troy ones and was very happy as I have been with most of their products. But to me best to fix the source of the problem...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But at this point with so many great 1-x optics exactly why would one head down that path any more?

Potential benefits:

1) Fixed magnification optic + offset BUIS can be lower weight than the often rather chunky variable power scopes.

2) Canting to use an offset sight is faster than switching optic power and doesn't require breaking down your grip and stance (frequently seen in competitions, with magnified optic for long range + fixed offset BUIS or offset mini red dot for close range, which is useful when a stage involves both types)

3) The offset BUIS can still be used if the 1-X variable optic goes down (a remote chance, but a chance... similar to having standard BUIS alongside a quality red dot like an Aimpoint).

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

3) The offset BUIS can still be used if the 1-X variable optic goes down (a remote chance, but a chance... similar to having standard BUIS alongside a quality red dot like an Aimpoint).

This is my main concern. However, after thinking about it, I think offset BUIS won't work. My light will be at 1:00 so the BUIS wont work. My thinking has shifted to using a j-arm mount on the Badger One and using a closed emitter red dot sight. I'm not sure at this point.

David W.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
This is my main concern. However, after thinking about it, I think offset BUIS won't work. My light will be at 1:00 so the BUIS wont work.

Depends on the light/mount/sights.

For example, standard AR sights and some red dots clear some lights mounted at 12:00.

So there's a chance that some offset sights might clear your light. But probably not worth throwing money at just to see.

I mount my lights at 11:00, so there's no conflict with offset sights for me.

posted Hide Post
I tried but hate them. On my serious guns I have a ton of stuff up front that make it a nightmare, light, switch, DBAL, etc. Just run an aimpoint in line with folding backups and all the problems go away. At any range that you might consider using it defensively, legally. If that bothers you just get a 1-x and do the same. On my competition guns there was a period when I ran a 2.5-10 NF and needed them. But they snag on everything, make shooting around barricades, windows, slots, etc. annoying. Stuff that is literally in every match I attend. The NF 1-8 may be a bit chunky, but its way better than the setup with a higher power scope and offset irons. just my experience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A whole lot of magnified optic rifles in LE and military service have no back up irons.

The 1-8x variable is about ideal for 5.56 - and since it will work without batter power, the need for backups is questionable. A combat-approved 1-8x is plenty tough. A quick throw lever is faster than flip ups.

I might consider offset irons to play with, but I'm left handed so the only ones I've seen that can be canted to the left are the Griffins. Since they fold they might work. But then deploying them will be slower than yanking a quick throw lever.

The offset micro red dot seems a better option if the scope cannot do true 1x.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

My main carbine has an Aimpoint and fixed front A2. I'm building a gamer carbine that the rules say you need backup irons. I'll be using a LPVO and need some offset irons.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post