SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 516 or DD MK18?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 516 or DD MK18? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
If you were in the market for an AR pistol, which would you prefer, and why?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
DD Mk18 for several reasons. I will leave out my personal feelings about SIG rifles, but will say that even if I didn't have a very unfavorable view of SIG rifles I would still do with DD Mk18. I tend to look at the Mk18 as the settled design for shorter than 14.5" guns. I tend to prefer the original manufacturer of a design. Even though companies were making ~10.5" barreled ARs before DD was even making guns DD stepped in when there was enough data to understand how these shorter guns really ticked.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5561 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the comments above. My MK18 runs exceptionally well suppressed and unsuppresed. I've had 3 MK18s but now just my 300blk. The 5.56 version I sold in lieu of a DD V7S, unless you really have to have a 10.3 barrel or want the RIS, the V7s is better imo.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Take the model out of the equation.

DD > SIG, always.

Because DD only does AR and they do it exceptionally.

SIG tries to do all sorts of stuff and one of them happen to be ARs. At least today and likely for the next couple of years as well. But I have no doubt that they could / would drop ARs at the drop of a hat if it made business sense, or they just wanted to do something else.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a backpedal quickly after, but I am in the camp that this guy showed what he thought, before thinking about the reaction. At best, he put a letter out without knowing the details of what he was supporting.

I'm not ok with either, and while I'm not going to chopsaw the DD stuff I have, they won't get another dime from me.

Maybe look into a MCX Rattler PSB.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Keep it OT please. Don't spam threads.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Was he spamming or did he just post all that shit in my thread by accident? Maybe thinking he was in another post? I’m hoping that’s the case...

I have a 516 pistol now, and honestly I love it. The only real issue is that it’s HEAVY!!! I think it looks good, accurate beyond my expectations, and it has ran flawlessly. I like the piston system, but it obviously adds to the weight.
I have seen a few of the MK18 Uppers on sale lately and it got me thinking that I should give them a try. I also think that DD is top notch. I’d be giving up the piston system, but maybe it would be worth it to shed some weight.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If weight is the main issue you might not be happy with the MK18, its a heavy little sucker.

MK18 10.3": 3lbs 8 oz

DD V7s 11.5": 3lbs 5 oz

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:

I have a 516 pistol now, and honestly I love it. The only real issue is that it’s HEAVY!!! I think it looks good, accurate beyond my expectations, and it has ran flawlessly. I like the piston system, but it obviously adds to the weight.
I have seen a few of the MK18 Uppers on sale lately and it got me thinking that I should give them a try. I also think that DD is top notch. I’d be giving up the piston system, but maybe it would be worth it to shed some weight.

Between the two dd's, I'd recommend the V7 pistol over a MK18.

The lighter, more flexible and comfortable MFR rail wins out.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post