SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka CTR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka CTR Login/Join 
posted
Anyone here running a Tikka CTR? What’s your opinion of the CTR compared to the remington 700?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a CTR, but I am very happy with my older T3 “Tactical” models in 223 and 308, and especially with the T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor as reviewed here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7470031074

I get the impression that the CTR is essentially the same rifle as the TAC A1 except for the stock/chassis. Somewhere I read that Tikka’s sub-MOA grouping guarantee is for three rounds with most of their rifles, but for five rounds with their “tactical” models. I would assume that applies to the CTR. I have almost zero experience with the Remington 700, but I do notice that their current MOA precision claim is for three rounds.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Tikka typically has a significantly better trigger right out of the box. The Remington 700 has a far healthier aftermarket, though the T3 series is steadily catching up due to its current popularity. Beretta does a pretty good job of supporting Tikka, whereas who knows how well the 700 will be supported by the company's new owner.

As hunting guns both are accurate platforms, though the 700 sometimes needs trigger work to get there. Though I don't consider myself a skilled distance shooter (right now), I own a .270WIN T3 and have shot a couple of T3Xs (30-06, .308 and 6.5WIN) and the CTR 6.5CR and thought they were excellent based on how well I did at shorter distances (400 yds and in). A good friend has both the CTR and TAC A1 and is ALWAYS crowing about them and how accurate he is with them. Conversely I have a cousin who's a 700 junkie and have shot a number of his rifles; also exceptional guns though each of his has been gone over extensively. While this might not say much in the company of long distance experts, my best 3-shot group ever at 200 yds was with his .260 700.

In the end I don't think either is a bad choice, though right out of the box I do prefer a box magazine and not having to do any work to clean up the trigger action, so I'd give the slight nod to Tikka as to which is 'best' between these two choices.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another Tikka owner here.
T3x Lite Stainless in 270WIN

Longest nearby range is 200yds & with Winchester Silvertips was seeing roughly 1MOA accuracy.

Wouldn't mind looking into a softer recoiling rifle for more of a range shooter.
Curious how the 6.5 compares to the 270 over a longer course of fire.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Wouldn't mind looking into a softer recoiling rifle for more of a range shooter.
Curious how the 6.5 compares to the 270 over a longer course of fire.

I have both calibers, although in different types of rifles.

Recoil energy -- expect about 17 foot pounds with typical 270 Win ammo; about 12 foot pounds with typical 6.5CM ammo. Furthermore, the 270's recoil is more abrupt. For extended round range sessions the 6.5CM is substantially easier to deal with.

Accuracy -- 6.5CM is a pretty accurate chambering from the start, as competition was a primary goal. 270 is definitely accurate enough for hunting, but it has virtually no following in competition. A primary consideration is barrel twist rate. 6.5CM barrels are usually 1:8, which works well for 147 grain bullets -- maybe more.

Most 270 barrels are 1:10 twist. My rifle is most accurate with 130 grain loads, but accuracy falls off with similar bullets weighing 140 and 150 grains. I feel the twist rate is inadequate for the heavier pills. I suspect there aren't many .277 bore barrels available with twist rates of 1:8 or 1:9. Accuracy-based bullets are also pretty rare with 270 Win. Sierra makes a MatchKing in 135. Berger makes hunting bullets in 130, 140, and 150 which should be quite accurate. I doubt that factory ammo comes with such bullets, so it will be down to handloading.

Barrel life -- if teeny-target accuracy is the primary goal, then expect 3,000 rounds +/- from either caliber. If you're willing to accept hunting-type accuracy, then barrels will last a whole lot longer. And velocity will fall off noticeably, unless you are handloading.

Barrel heat -- There's more powder in a 270 case, therefore the barrel will heat up faster. With most barrels, higher heat tends to reduce accuracy.

Bottom line -- for punching holes in paper and ringing steel, 6.5CM is better in every way than 270 Win.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that.
IIRC, my hunting round is a 130gr.
After some extended time at the range, you're definitely a bit worn out.

No idea if I'd potentially look at any competing, and would be limited to off-the-shelf options at least to start.
At any rate, that's a ways off. Wife needs her own CCW first & we've got other things taking financial priority at the moment.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comparing a Tikka to a current Remington is all about quality. Think Snap-On vs Harbor Freight. Simply put Remington quality has gone to CRAP! Tikka's are very good quality and have guaranteed accuracy. If you want Remington interchangeability move up to custom action or other brand that's built on Remington pattern like a Seekins etc.

For a low-priced rifle look at Savage or Ruger American. Mid priced think Tikka, CZ or Bergara.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Get the CTR and be happy with life, unless you'd like to spend a few extra dollars and get a clone from one of the custom gunmakers. Accuracy is on par or better than the factory Remington guns and the trigger is superb but gets even better if you replace a spring. A KRG Bravo stock makes it even better.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, to note, though probably for the legal side, IIRC the Tikka accuracy guarantee is with Sako ammunition (which I've never seen on a shelf anywhere).

Though, my first outing with my T3x resulted in a 5 shot, 3 hole group at 100yds, roughly 1.5" spread (it was January, cold (for SE TX) & I admittedly know I jerked at least one of the shots).

Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
My CTR loves Winchester match 140gr and it easily meets the 1 MOA guarantee - by a good margin. I’m just starting my handloading journey with this gun. I’m Very pleased with the CTR overall. This is also my first gun in 6.5CM and probably won’t be my last.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had a Tikka T3 in varmint configuration in .223. It was very accurate and consistent, and extraordinarily accurate for a mid-grade factory rifle. It easily exceeded the Tikka accuracy guaranty with any ammo I put in it. With ammo it liked, and when I was careful, it was a MOA rifle for five and ten shot groups. I got some .3 MOA groups with three to five shot strings.

The trigger was very good and the action was very smooth.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you going to use it for? did I miss that. I have a bunch of Tikka's including a CTR. And like sigfreund I've been very pleased with all of them. Punching holes in paper of their model line I am also a big fan like sigfreund of the Tac A1. So much so that I got a chassis for one of my older Tacticals. I would never buy a real 700. If you want to get into the 700 ecosystem (and its by far the largest) then get a good quality clone and build what you need.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T3x Stainless CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I love it and probably won't buy another Remington 700. The Tikka action is smoother than any factory 700 I've felt and the factory trigger is better too (in my opinion). I put mine in a KRG Bravo stock with a Midas trigger as I didn't care for the factory stock (it's functional but definitely cost rationalized). It's been very accurate so far (still developing loads) and would make a fine hunting weapon untouched from the factory. For punching paper I'd prefer a heavier barrel as the 6.5 heats it up pretty quickly. I intended replacing mine at some point anyway, but that's my only complaint.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God dammit! They make left-handed detachable mag precision rifles with modular chassis? When did this happen?

Well now that's another couple of grand for rifle and optic that I can look at and dry fire for the next year or so until I can get ammo for it.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Well now that's another couple of grand for rifle and optic that I can look at and dry fire for the next year or so until I can get ammo for it.

6.5 Creedmoor ammunition has actually been more available than many other loads. For example:

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog...le/65-creedmoor-ammo

But the closest places to me that sell ammunition had Hornady match loads in stock just yesterday as well. Expensive, but available.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post