SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    1-4 v RDS for a house gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1-4 v RDS for a house gun Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the market for an optic for my ACR and I'm trying to decide between a Sig Romeo 4 series RDS possibly with a Vortex or like 3x magnifier, and a Tango 4 1-4 horseshoe optic or maybe a 1-5 XTR.

I would primarily be using it in case I needed to clear my house or for some randomness on my property for serious purposes and for general plinking/shooting otherwise. I have less than a half acre and have a SCAR 17 set up for midrange with a 1.5-8 if I felt that I needed more.

As my base need is for a close optic I am leaning RDS but I've never used a magnifier and I've heard merits of a 1-4. I had a CQT on my rifle in Iraq and liked it quite a bit besides its large profile, which I imagine would be close to the 1-4. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Red dot.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
For the ranges you are talking, 1x Red Dot. I have a Romeo 3 on a short range rifle, and I like it a lot. Vortex Venom is very nice also.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Red dot, for sure. Unlimited eye relief, much lighter and more compact than a 1-4x, and you won't need the magnification for inside the house or even for across your half-acre lot.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RDS, one with a battery life measured in years always on. This isn't even close IMO.

For home defense you just grab the AR and the dot is there. Poor cheek weld, awkward position around cover, who cares, can you still see the dot?

The low power variables are great optics but not for a bump in the night gun. If I could only have 1 carbine for HD/SHTF it would wear some version of an Aimpoint.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my Eotechs went back, I decided to try a Leupold VX-R Patrol. Motion activated illumination for long battery life, standard reticle available even without illumination, more precise than an RDS if needed. Shooting with both eyes open, it gives up very little to the Eotech.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help so far. Has anyone used a rds with a magnifier? I imagine it as a jack of all trades situation. I suppose I could buy a magnifier used and turn it for sale if I don't like it.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have used stuff behind an aimpoint including a magnifier and on my house gun PVS14.
For your intended use the magnifier is simply not needed. A flip to the side magnifier is nice in principle but it is simply a PIA in real life.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Well I have used stuff behind an aimpoint including a magnifier and on my house gun PVS14.
For your intended use the magnifier is simply not needed. A flip to the side magnifier is nice in principle but it is simply a PIA in real life.

Thanks for that. I more meant to have a magnifier just to lend versatility to the RDS but not mount it for in the house. Maybe more for range trips or something.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Has anyone used a rds with a magnifier? I imagine it as a jack of all trades situation. I suppose I could buy a magnifier used and turn it for sale if I don't like it.

I have an Aimpoint PRO with 3x magnifier on one of my ARs.

Pros:
-The magnifier adds a bit of versatility over just a red dot. Sort of a "jack of all trades" setup, as you said.
-Allows for a true 1x red dot with unlimited eye relief when the magnifier is flipped to side. Many/most 1-4x aren't exactly 1x at the lower end, plus a 1-4x scope will have a limited eyebox even at 1x. Red dots are much more forgiving with regards to head placement.
-Still allows for the use of cowitnessed BUIS, when the magnifier is flipped to the side.

Cons:
-Just as bulky and heavy as a 1-4x.
-Sometimes requires buying a different cantilever mount for the red dot, since it can be tough to squeeze the red dot, magnifier, and BUIS all on the upper receiver rail.
-You give up the unlimited eye relief feature of the red dot when using the magnifier. Magnifiers have a limited eyebox just like a scope.

If you're just wanting to try out a magnifier, you can pick up a Primary Arms 3x and a flip to side mount for about $150 new, and even cheaper used.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have both. If I knew I was in a house the dot sight would be my choice. It does not have to to have a good stock weld to work, nor does it send light forward as much as a 1-4x does.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
For in your house, or immediately around your house, an RDS is the way to go. I myself chose the Vortex Spark II Red Dot Sight. It has superior clarity,compact size, and can be had for $200. It also has a bullet proof warranty that would make NightForce cringe.

If you really must got with a 1x-4X, I went with the Vortex Viper PST 1x-4x on my AR pistol. Great eye relief, great warranty, $500 range, and just a great short range engagement AR Optic.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
House gun=red dot
General purpose Rifle=1x4

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Red dot.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sorry.

All you red dot fan boys are wrong.

1X4, all the way.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
When my Eotechs went back, I decided to try a Leupold VX-R Patrol. Motion activated illumination for long battery life, standard reticle available even without illumination, more precise than an RDS if needed. Shooting with both eyes open, it gives up very little to the Eotech.

Exactly what I did as well.

Posts: 179 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Sorry.

1X4, all the way.

Discussion is about a rifle optic for in the house and on the property. What kind of self defense or critter shooting are you thinking of that requires magnification in that situation?

Even a rotten shot with bad eyes can hit paper plate at 50 yards with a red dot.

OP should get an aimpoint and call it a day. And if something rock solid (reliable, multi-year battery life) isn't in the mix, then just use irons.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A scope needs proper eye relief every time, a CCO doesn't. I know which one I want at jack in the box ranges.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Would be nice if saying it made it so, but if you actually tested it, you would be totally wrong.
Try running any good range (shoot house) stage the simulates this and you will change your mind.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post