SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 NRL matches?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 NRL matches? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone try it? I went to their site and watched a couple video matches. Seems kinda cool without the whole PRS expense.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Anyone try it? I went to their site and watched a couple video matches. Seems kinda cool without the whole PRS expense.

Been shooting "NRL/PRS" style 22 matches for several years. Ton O' fun!

We just call them 22 matches. The match directors don't want any part of the NRL guidelines, do their own thing, set up stages based on our feedback.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are fun, I don’t shoot very well but still enjoy them ( while some people spring for very expensive equipment a decently set up off the shelf rifle suitable for NRL22 base class can be put together including glass for under $700)
Not sure where in Arizona you are but I am involved in a small group that attends a match hosted monthly at gunsite in paulden. In the Phoenix area several clubs run matches as well. Most allow non nrl22 members to shoot.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

I’m thinking about trying this. Either picking up another CZ or putting a .22 barrel on my current CZ.

Just need more appropriate glass.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Bump.

I’m thinking about trying this. Either picking up another CZ or putting a .22 barrel on my current CZ.

Just need more appropriate glass.

What stock or chassis do you have? Big deal having a stock that fits you, especially cheek hieght. Cheek hieght is important to maintain POA/POI. When shooting positional even that much more. Having a grip closer to vertical also a good thing.

"NRL" matches or any steel match for that matter is not about shooting groups, it's about hitting a target, maintaining POA/POI! In the other 22 thread there's a couple group targets. As good as those groups are... all misses on the last few targets on a 50yd KYL rack Wink Dot drills are a great way to practice POA/POI.

Going to your first match don't worry about gear, bags... You'll see what the best shooters are using, most likely they'll let you use their stuff. I only use a GameChanger bag for rear bag prone, positional support, under my ankle... I'm in the less is better, less is faster camp.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I just have the stock CZ 455 Varmint 20” heavy barrel and wood stock with straight comb.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ideally I’d find a 40x that jelrod1 built but I’m trying to stay at a much lower budget level.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I just have the stock CZ 455 Varmint 20” heavy barrel and wood stock with straight comb.

The point of my ramblings is instead of another CZ or re-barreling, drop the one you have in a chassis. XLR, MPA...

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

I'm at a crossroads though as my current CZ is in .17HMR and would need to be re-barreled to a .22 LR, which isn't bad with a factory barrel. However, as my CZ 455 is discontinued, that kicks me out of base class because no current MSRP can be verified. The idea being to be cheaper and easier to get into and find places to shoot vs. a full-size rifle setup in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I shoot NRL-type matches with a Ruger Precision Rimfire and a Vortex 6-24 scope. Good ammo is critical.
Shooting these matches has improved my shooting tremendously. Before, it was all about speed (Steel Challenge, my first love). NRL-22 has improved my accuracy and consistency.
And, it’s just a hoot.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
We just call them 22 matches. The match directors don't want any part of the NRL guidelines, do their own thing, set up stages based on our feedback.

I run the Precision Rifle and RIMFIRE matches at our range and was approached by several shooters and the NRL about doing the their matches; I declined for the same reason "OFFGRID" states.

The NRL's attempt to standardize the matches so shooters compete on an even playing field is good in theory, bad in application. While the targets, distances, props are the same, i.e. the COF is alike, the simple fact is that ranges are not the same. Our range, at times, can experience full value winds of 10-20 mph making shooting a .22 very challenging thus scores being compared to someone shooting at a range that has little to no wind is not equal/fair when comparing scores.

Another reason I avoided them is the NRL posts the COF (Course Of Fire) a few weeks in advance. This allows shooters to "practice" the COF beforehand and allows them the opportunity to figure out a way, if possible, to "game" the stage.

As "OFFGRID" states, some of us designing and running matches prefer challenging shooters beyond what the NRL does and do it in real time making shooters adapt and think through their COF without practice or planning ahead. My matches consist of timed shooting fundamental skill drills at 25 and 50 yards, steel games like KYL (Know Your Limits) and TYL (Test Your Limits) at 50 yards with plates from 2" down to 1/4". Then I do stages where shooters engage steel at 100 yards to 225 yards shot from tripods, tank traps, barricades, barrels, buckets, tires, ladders, ropes and other implements found around the range. The NRL does not do this.

To help me get intel, I have a debrief at the conclusion of each match to get feedback from the shooters on what they liked or disliked about the match and what they would like to see that would help them become better shooters.

BTW, shooting a .22 at 225 yards is like shooting a centerfire rifle 800-1000 yards; it's a challenge...especially on those 10-20 mph wind days.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post