SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 556 classic swat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 556 classic swat Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been bidding on a sig classic 556 swat and just curious what a good price is for this gun. Haven’t been able to find much online about the value. Just curious if anyone has any opinions on the max they would pay for one. I really want this rifle just don’t wanna overpay for it. Bid is currently at 850$

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The SIG556 series is discontinued.

Personally $500 is the max I would pay, but I don't think you are overpaying at $850, but much more than that and I think you are.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I would pay $1k but that's it. $850 seems fair to me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up, Sig called 2 versions the "classic swat". Original was w/light/forgrip, birdcage hider, 556002 (??). Latter was side folding w/ACC quickmount hider, 556302. May make some difference to buyer.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped bidding and it’s up over 1000$ now. I’ve seen em on gun broker for a little more than that but getting a discontinued gun worries me just because of the lack of parts etc

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The SiG 55X isn't a gun I've ever been worried about spare parts, not even the 556's

Granted, they aren't as prolific as the AR but unless something drastic happens ... and if that happens, we'll have bigger problems. If the time comes that we have to worry about spare parts, we better have a spare gun.

There are several guns that I like but would never be a go-to or bug-out gun ... like my AUG, certinally not a FS2000 or a PS90 and definitely not a KelTec anything like that.

In fact I'd probably grab my SiG P553-sbr or SiG P556-sbr as a go-to gun before I grabbed an AR (unless its a top-tier gun like a Knights, LMT etc.) ... for that matter I wouldn't hesitate to grab my LEO issued 551 or 552, and I have no idea of either of their round count, but I do have that kind of faith in my SiG's.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu2301:
I stopped bidding and it’s up over 1000$ now. I’ve seen em on gun broker for a little more than that but getting a discontinued gun worries me just because of the lack of parts etc

This is precisely the reason I would never buy a SIG long gun, they always seem to discontinue them so quick and when they do discontinue them, even normal wear parts availability like magazines, disappear within the first year.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Stu2301:

This is precisely the reason I would never buy a SIG long gun, they always seem to discontinue them so quick and when they do discontinue them, even normal wear parts availability like magazines, disappear within the first year.

I dont think that comment applies to the 55X guns as mags are AR-15/NATO ... recoil springs are available through Wolf and other than the 552 which had a problem with small batch soft bolt carriers ... I've never really heard of any problems with any 55X rifle.

I've got AK's and HK built from parts kits from de-milled guns that from the look of the metal and stocks, they had hard lives in their previous lives.

I will admidt tho, when the SSG's were discontinued, there was a temporary shortage of mags. But it never was a huge seller, although it did span several decades. I think there's at least one aftermarket manufacturer that makes both mags and extensions ... but being a bolt gun, is there a true need to have 10 mags.

Back to the point, if you want a 556, they are still around ... bide your time and wait for the right deal, you might even set up a "saved search" on GunBroker, and set it to email you when a new one is offered.
Or consider a real Swiss gun like the 553.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to stay out of this thread but couldn't. I've a bunch of these 556's. At one point I shot them in volume. I can't for the life of me imagine paying $1000 for one. I wouldn't pay $400. Now a real swiss gun I would gladly pay for. Among the problems that I have had include canted rails, incorrect sight blocks, bolt issues, gas tube problems, gas port issue, extractor problem, broken charging handle, and probably a few more I don't remember. And of course there are no official parts. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post