SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I’d like help choosing my first skeet Shotgun ** UPDATE , made a purchase **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’d like help choosing my first skeet Shotgun ** UPDATE , made a purchase ** Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
I Started working at a range recently, and spent time on the skeet trap range. I have never shot skeet or trap before, but it looked like a ton of fun, typical fun shooting crowd.

I tried hitting clays with an 1100 but did not do well. I also tried a Beretta A300 which I like quite a bit, soft shooting really smooth, but I wasn’t able to hit much. I decided I needed some training and instruction so I spent an afternoon on a range with a certified instructor, burned through three boxes of shells learning hold points, leads, footwork etc. Improved quite a bit and was asked if I wanted to try to shoot a round, to which I said “yes.“ The instruction paid off, and I shot 20 out of 25! So now I’m hooked.

The gun I was shooting was a Benelli Supersport which I really really liked. It was light and fast and pointed very well for me. I have gone to the gun counter and shoulderd several but would like to hear from the experts on SIG Forum For some ideas as to what to look at. My budget is around $1500 although I could go a little bit more if I really needed to. I think I want to stay with a semi in 12 gauge, something that I can keep and shoot for a long time and not grow out of.

So what say you?

** UPDATE **

Thanks to all who offered guidance and opinions, it was all thought provoking.

After researching the subject to death, I headed to a large gun shop in Charlotte to get my hands on my options. I had decided not to skimp, rather, buy something I could be proud to own and enjoy. After tying several things, the one that seemed to have the best combination of gun fit to me, outstanding fit and finish and good overall value, was the FABARMS L4S Sporting.

The reviews, both professional and user were extremely good, and matched my opinion of the gun. AND it was on sale! It also doesn’t hurt that it’s sexy as hell!

Tomorrow it will be broken down for the initial clean and lube, and shot on Monday, maybe Sunday.

Once I’ve had a chance to use it, I sill post proper review.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nick,

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
A Benelli Supersport would be an excellent choice. It will last you decades. You’ll get dozens of other recommendations as the thread unfolds. Everyone has their favorites.

The ideal shotgun for trap and skeet are very different. But lots of folks use one gun for all shotgun sports.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
A Benelli Supersport would be an excellent choice. It will last you decades. You’ll get dozens of other recommendations as the thread unfolds. Everyone has their favorites.

I did notice the inertia action is a little harder on the shoulder, though not bad. But I really enjoyed the light weight. It made the 1100 feel slow quite pudgy.

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Beretta gas operated semi-auto shotguns shoot softer. But you have to clean out the carbon buildup occasionally. I like Benellis because they stay very clean for a long time. I’ll trade I little more recoil for less maintenance.

You can buy light target loads which kick a little less, if recoil bothers you.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, you need to decide if you want to shoot skeet, trap or both. This will have an effect on your choice of shotgun.

Second, if you intend to really get into shooting my recommendation would be to get an over/under. They are easier to clean, more reliable, and won't eject shells at others on the line.

Third, you get a lot more bang for your buck buying used. And a well made shotgun doesn't really wear out, so you're not losing much by getting a used gun. If you go this route there are some very nice Brownings and Berettas in your price range.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
At this stage what shotgun you shoot doesn't matter. First shoot a lot of rounds to see if the game is for you. I've seen hundreds of people show up at the range shoot a few rounds then go out and buy expensive shotguns and give up on the sport. My safe holds a lot of those guns bought from discouraged shooter at a fraction of what they paid for them. Next get to know your fellow shooters and see if they will let you try a round with their guns and learn what's available and how you like it. Third get all the help you can as skeet is a game of perfection just like golf and technique is very important. In skeet light guns and short barrels are your enemy as they tend to hurt a shooters smooth and consistent swing and weight and longer barrels are your friend as weight absorbs some of the recoil and reduces flinching (I'm a 200 pound man who shot a 28 ga in 12 and 20 events because of recoil) and longer barrels (28,30,32 inch) swing smoother. Last when you decide on what gun you want remember the 3 Fs: Fit-Fit-Fit. I don't care how much you like a gun, if it doesn't fit you it will not perform well for you over the long run. Remember, equipment is not what makes good skeet shooters, attitude, technique, concentration and practice (lots and lots of practice) are what makes you a good shooter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: low8option,

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Good advice above. Fit is everything.

I'd suggest a small little book. Orvis Wing Shooter Guide. Don't be in a hurry, read, ask questions, lots to learn.

I have Benelli shotguns and love them. My favorites though are my Beretta 687 and 686's, especially in 28 gauge. Be careful. Just like Sigs, it's very easy to get hooked and get quite a collection going.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low8option is the post you want to pay attention to. Skeet is a lot more complex than it appears when watching from the side line. It's a game where a heavier gun is beneficial because it slows you down. Currently I shoot my 12 gage better than my 20 gage because it's 1 lbs. heavier and that weight makes it steadier.

Also as noted Fit is everything if you want to be consistent. the Fit controls where your Eye ends up when you mount the gun and your Eye is effectively the rear sight of a shotgun. Imagine trying to shoot a rifle accurately if the rear peep sight can move randomly up to 3/16 inch every time you shoulder the rifle. Obviously that is NOT conducive to good accurate shooting.

Checking for Fit can be easy and rather complex. The easy method is to tape a soda straw to the top rib perfectly straight and in line with the rib. Then you close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun. When you open your eyes if the fit is perfect you will be looking straight down that straw. Problem is that most Skeet shooters want their POI to be slightly above the front bead, not centered perfectly on the bead. This allows you to see your target without it being obscured by sight or barrel at every station on the Skeet field. What all this means is that you need to do some shooting to determine what works for you.

BTW, Coloradohunter is 100% correct about getting a collection going. I started busting clays in May of 2018 and at present I have 4 Over/Under's, 1 side by side, 2 pumps, and one semi auto. I'm also a fan of the Beretta 686 with one in 12 and one in 20 gage. However the best fitting shotgun for me was my Browning Citori Sporting Clays until I changed to adjustable comb stocks on my 686's. Now I have 2 Beretta's with a Browning Fit. Note the difference is quite small, the Browning Sporting stock is 1/16 inch higher at the comb than the standard Beretta Sporting stock.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
In a semi-auto it would be Fabarm all day, everyday.

(I would have said Remington V3 for a great gun that is under your price point but that was before the chapter 11. Will have to see what comes out the other side now that Roundhill owns them. The V3 was/is Remington’s best shotgun and it’s also the softest shooting shotgun of any make that I know of. It’s just like butter.)

The Beretta A400 series should deserve a look in SA but I personally wouldn’t purchase the 300 series. The 300’s are sourced out parts with a Beretta label and price. If I’m paying for a Beretta, I want a Beretta.

In fact, in over and under, the Beretta 686 is my choice. Shot mine today on quail. It’s my go to shotgun that is a breeze to shoot well...for me. I much prefer it to the Browning Citori; which I have as well but to each his own as it comes down to personal fit. The Beretta fits me wonderfully off the rack.

On a budget, the CZ O/U, which I don’t own, is spoken of rather fondly in some of the circles I’m in. Never shot one myself however.

We do have the CZ Bobwhite SxS in 20 ga. and it’s actually quite the little gun for its price point so I do have that as a reference. The only issue I have, and it’s a common one, is that the factory triggers are heavier than the gun itself....but we will get those smithed and lightened next spring. Even so, my son shot better than he ever has with it today on both on 5 stand clays and live birds.

Final thought, if I’m shooting a lot of volume then I use a SA as I get less fatigued. But if I want to shoot for scores, I shoot an O/U.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Checking for Fit can be easy and rather complex. The easy method is to tape a soda straw to the top rib perfectly straight and in line with the rib. Then you close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun. When you open your eyes if the fit is perfect you will be looking straight down that straw. .

Ran a range for over 20 years and fitted a lot of guns to people but I never heard of this method. Learn something new every day on this forum.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Checking for Fit can be easy and rather complex. The easy method is to tape a soda straw to the top rib perfectly straight and in line with the rib. Then you close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun. When you open your eyes if the fit is perfect you will be looking straight down that straw. .

Ran a range for over 20 years and fitted a lot of guns to people but I never heard of this method. Learn something new every day on this forum.

Ha. Nice trick. I like it. Thanks.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
So how much fit do you need from a stock shotgun? And how much fit can you get by altering angles?

posted Hide Post
I can't take credit for the soda straw technique. When I was trying to figure out how to get my Beretta's to shoot as well for me as my Browning. Did a search for "checking shotgun Fit" and a video from Larry Potterfield of Midway popped up and in that video he demonstrated the soda straw technique. Some folks tend to rag on him because he does own Midway but he's also an excellent old school gunsmith who really knows his stuff.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get all tore about about shotgun "fit" just starting out. Especially if you're trying to shoot skeet and trap with the same gun. I'd be more concerned with just learning good shooting technique starting out.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fit is everything. You can't go wrong with tbe Beretta or the Benelli, just depends on what fits, points and swings better for you. I'm from the buy once, cry once crowd. But I use a HK 368 Lion for trap shooting......12 gauge, 28" barrel and it was pretty cheap at the time, made by fabarm in Italy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
So how much fit do you need from a stock shotgun? And how much fit can you get by altering angles?

This all depends on how much you deviate from the ideal "perfect" male. Me, I am 5'10" with a BMI of 22, so I am quite close to that ideal. However I do have a narrow face and need a small amount of cast on my stock and a comb that is a smidgen high. You could be exactly the same height and weight but with a round head and short neck. Which means that you would need a lower comb and a good bit more cast than I would. Basically a shotgun fitted to me would be horrible for you.

To sum it up you need the aid of someone who knows how to check and advise for options to get the fit correct.

I've stopped counting.

posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a momma preaching to daughter to not give it up until she’s sure that the boy is the “one” and that they truly love each other. Yet daughter senses that momma (and all the other mommas) didn’t follow such advice herself.

Either you’ll like the sport for the long term and periodically buy different shotguns using newly-invented reasons or you’ll lose interest.

Thus, don’t stress about this first purchase. Does the range have rentals from which you might buy a used gun? Or a bulletin board where members are selling their guns? Someone there should be happy to match you up with a reasonable used model that will allow you the time to form your own opinions on fit, style, SA or OU, BMI, hair color, hobbies, car...

Sorry, I drifted back to the analogy there.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I wouldn't get all tore about about shotgun "fit" just starting out. Especially if you're trying to shoot skeet and trap with the same gun. I'd be more concerned with just learning good shooting technique starting out.

But if you can't hit anything, no big deal right?

It all works together.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice already. I'd like to add that if you like the Benellis, they have adjustable stocks using shims where the stock mounts to the receiver, so you should be able to get a good fit pretty easily and adjust it as needed down the road.

I recall an article in Field & Stream years ago. The subject at hand was bird hunting in Argentina. According to the article, the population of game birds was incredible by US standards and thus there was essentially no limit on the number of birds you could harvest.

The guide's advice on shotguns? Due to the enormous amount of shooting they were doing he recommended bringing two shotguns... Or one Benelli.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
The gun I was shooting was a Benelli Supersport which I really really liked. It was light and fast and pointed very well for me. I have gone to the gun counter and shoulderd several but would like to hear from the experts on SIG Forum For some ideas as to what to look at. My budget is around $1500 although I could go a little bit more if I really needed to. I think I want to stay with a semi in 12 gauge, something that I can keep and shoot for a long time and not grow out of.

In the long run, an over-under is likely a better gun for skeet. However, if the Benelli Supersport works well for you, then voila that's your shotgun. When I tried other people's guns in sporting clays events, I always like the Supersports. And I always shot them well.

Supersports are on the lighter side of clays guns. Between the low gun weight and the recoil system, you will feel recoil a little more. However, you don't need heavy loads to hit skeet clays -- 1 ounce of shot at slower muzzle velocities of 1170-1200 fps does just fine.

You may have challenges finding a Supersport for $1500. But a lightly used gun will be fine.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post