SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Got a new Ruger Mini 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a new Ruger Mini 14 Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Picked up the Mini 14 Ranch model. Any aftermarket mags that will work in this rifle?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Stick to Ruger factory mags. All of the various aftermarket mags have subpar quality/reliability.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Stick to Ruger factory mags. All of the various aftermarket mags have subpar quality/reliability.

Seconded. Factory mags are more expensive than aftermarket junk, but you truly get what you pay for. Buy factory.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any aftermarket mags that will work in this rifle?

No. Factory Ruger mags only!!!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Here is a really good deal on factory 20 round mags from CDNN; not 30 round-sexy, but certainly capable. I ordered 5.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rug...__SID=U#.W1TCNeQUmUk

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I used factory 20s exclusively with my mini. Kept the rifle easy the handle and light. The ultimate ranch rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
For aftermarket look for USA Mags. They are long out of business, but show up on GunBroker a lot. Recently I bought a 20 round mag from CDNN that they call an OE Mag. From what I can tell it is a copy of the very early 180 serial number series mags. Folks keep saying the Tapco mags work great. I have a 181 series and they will not fit in it, but next week I am getting a brand new Stainless Tactical Mini 14 and will buy one to try in it.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some silver color USA mags many years ago for a stainless Mini I had at the time and thought they were junk. For a long time, factory 20 and 30 round factory mags were hard to get (thanks, Bill Ruger), but now that they are available, there’s no reason to take a risk with aftermarket mags.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Picked up the Mini 14 Ranch model. Any aftermarket mags that will work in this rifle?

If you bought it new, check for the 'Thank You' card in with the owners manual and other stuff. When you register the rifle with Ruger for warranty, they'll give you a 20% off discount code for use on their web store.

Yes, as the others have said, stick with Ruger factory magazines. Always be wary of after market Mini 14/30 magazines.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I had some silver color USA mags many years ago for a stainless Mini I had at the time and thought they were junk. For a long time, factory 20 and 30 round factory mags were hard to get (thanks, Bill Ruger), but now that they are available, there’s no reason to take a risk with aftermarket mags.

I have had twenty round Mini 30 mags in the past and had zero issues. I have one twenty round Mini 14 mag right now and same thing.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Here is a really good deal on factory 20 round mags from CDNN; not 30 round-sexy, but certainly capable. I ordered 5.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rug...__SID=U#.W1TCNeQUmUk

They arrived, and are true OEM Ruger mags. And like PSA, I’m having difficulty finding the “blems”. Perhaps it is the word “blemish” etched into the mag body Big Grin

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I've owned a mini. If I find a pre-ban folder I'd be tempted.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a love/hate relationship with them.

The standard barrel hits the sweet spot for excessively loud and inaccurate.

But they are just so damn cool.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger magazines only. The mini 14 has many fine qualities. Magazine selection is not one of them. Accept this simple truth and your relationship will be much more fulfilling.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

I found the newer barreled models to have decent accuracy. They seem to be more prone to spreading with a really hot barrel, but so do others.

I really like the action. I guess you would call it a long stroke of some sort. All I know is I would strip it to clean it only to find there was nothing to clean.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I really like the action. I guess you would call it a long stroke of some sort.

It's a short stroke fixed piston gas system.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

I found the newer barreled models to have decent accuracy. They seem to be more prone to spreading with a really hot barrel, but so do others.

I really like the action. I guess you would call it a long stroke of some sort. All I know is I would strip it to clean it only to find there was nothing to clean.

They certainly are better. The brand new Stainless Mini 14 Tactical I got last Saturday shoots much better then my 181 Series Mini. Have to try and find a Tapco mag and see if these work like people are saying.