SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ideas for keymod rail covers request
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for keymod rail covers request Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
I've been building up an AR pistol and thought I'd request some ideas for my 8.5" AR upper from PSA with a keymod rail. I'd like to get some keymod rail covers in grey and/or black that will not only look good but give me some protection from heat when gripping the rail. I don't want to break the bank but want to get something decent. Any ideas? If so, would you consider posting some picture to give me an idea of how they look? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excuse the DD Oakleys in the pic, its the only one I had that showed the covers well. BCM.

Posts: 6095 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Try BCM. I looked at it but my 22 is my only keymod upper and it doesn't get hot.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 4684 | Location: South of Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
BCM covers are great, easy to install and they stay in place.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 2445 | Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Noveske NSR rail covers.

They are perfect on my BCM KMR haven't come off in over a year.

Posts: 8736 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely BCM

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 203 | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
BCM, especially since you have Keymod slots on all 7 facets. (Since they're so skinny, they don't work as well for handguards with Keymod slots at just the 3/6/9 positions. I like the wider Midwest Industries panels for handguards like that.)

Here's some BCM covers on one of my rifles.

And here's one with the MI covers.

Posts: 17299 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the input. I had been considering the BCM heavily but wanted something that would keep my support hand standing off a little bit more away from the rail. Those MI look like they probably will act more as hand guards since I have the 3,6,9 slots.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
BCM - The Noveske covers are absolute trash, in my experience.

Posts: 2687 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have the Noveske NSR covers on one rifle.

They're not quite absolute trash in my opinion, but they're far from ideal, and I would never recommend them. They are an absolute pain in the ass to install or uninstall, but once on, they work fairly well. You'd just better hope you got them set up exactly like you want them on the first try.

They were the first widely available Keymod covers, but there are several significantly better options these days.

Posts: 17299 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
BCM, especially since you have Keymod slots on all 7 facets. (Since they're so skinny, they don't work as well for handguards with Keymod slots at just the 3/6/9 positions. I like the wider Midwest Industries panels for handguards like that.)

Here's some BCM covers on one of my rifles.

And here's one with the MI covers.

Rogue, does the MI kit like this one:
MI-SSK-PK
MI KeyMod Handstop Panel Kit
Come with the hardware to mount it? Just wondering if I need to get the screws separately. Thanks!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The MI covers come with the screws.

Just make sure you buy enough panels. You may need a couple sets to cover everything you're trying to cover.

Each cover set comes with a 5x panel, a 4x panel, and either a plain or handstop 3x panel. The setup shown in my photo requires two sets, one each of the standard cover set and handstop cover set. There's the 3x handstop in front of the VFG, the plain 3x behind it, and a 5x and 4x panel on both the right and the left side.

posted Hide Post
These are Rail Scales. Low profile and made from G10.

Posts: 162 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks RogueJSK! I thought so but didn't want to waste time in case I needed the hardware. You saved me some time, I appreciate it. I'll get both sets. I was pretty sure I'd need both and I'll appreciate the hand stop. I thinking the Magpul grey.

Marc308, funny you should mention it. I've been eyeing some of those made in G10 and Micarta but the price tag on those will put them on the back burner for me, additionally, most of those great looking scales aren't very wide and don't cover enough real estate to keep me from grabbing a hot rail after extended shooting. I'm sure I'll end up getting some nice scales eventually but I'm going to try to find some that will be a little wider. I'm putting some Griffin Armament M2 (I'm really digging these but only have the front so far) micro front and rear sights with a Trijicon sight post in the front, a ADM QD mount for a Trijicon NSW Reflex sight that I picked up from Clyde Armory for $150.00 recently.

They (Griffin Armament) enclosed the stickers with the shipment, pretty fun little stickers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Also meant to ask you Rogue, are those grey panels and grey LaRue rail clips? On my screen they look grey but I don't see any on his website.

Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Also meant to ask you Rogue, are those grey panels and grey LaRue rail clips? On my screen they look grey but I don't see any on his website.

Looks like Foliage Green on my screen.

Larue's grey is called UDE
http://www.larue.com/indexclips-72-piece-set
Their grey is very very light in color compared to Magpuls and others.
It may be more similar to BCM's Wolf Grey or at least I am hoping as I just ordered the BCM Wolf Grey Keymod rail covers from Aimsurplus for $10.95 with free shipping.
I have the Larue pistol grip in UDE and am going to utilize a Magpul stock but will be getting black as there is a huge difference in the two greys.

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 16947 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:

Looks like Foliage Green on my screen.

Correct. They're Foliage Green.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Larue's grey is called UDE
http://www.larue.com/indexclips-72-piece-set
Their grey is very very light in color compared to Magpuls and others.
It may be more similar to BCM's Wolf Grey or at least I am hoping as I just ordered the BCM Wolf Grey Keymod rail covers from Aimsurplus for $10.95 with free shipping.
I have the Larue pistol grip in UDE and am going to utilize a Magpul stock but will be getting black as there is a huge difference in the two greys.

UDE and Wolf Gray aren't the same shade, but may be close enough for your purposes. UDE is certainly closer to BCM's gray than Magpul's gray.

UDE is very light tan-gray.

BCM's Wolf Gray is a somewhat light traditional gray. (Half of the BCM covers in the above photo of my Blue Line AR are Wolf Gray.)

Magpul's Stealth Gray is a dark gray that's almost navy blueish.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that.

Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
LaRue UDE and BCM Wolf Grey are not even close either.
When couples together the tan really comes out in the UDE over the grey.

Yowzas, that trigger guard needs to go!

These BCMs are very nice. Snap into place very solidly and are a beast to get off so make sure you lay them out first and are positive that is where you want them.
Smooths out the rail in the hand almost perfectly. This gun pretty much required gloves if one was doing much shooting and moving.
Would not be the case anymore though this gun is currently bringing repourposed to a bench rifle.

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 16947 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all the input I've gone with the Midwest covers in grey.