SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about an arm brace pistol build, now wondering about Dolos takedown system
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about an arm brace pistol build, now wondering about Dolos takedown system Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The SB PDW brace is available at PSA without the LPK for $299.
In stock, now.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I just picked this up. I added the sites, Magazine grip, and forward grip.

Photo Mar 07, 4 23 45 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Very nice

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'll second gearhounds post...that does look nice...we will need a range report Cool

Edit to add...if anyone is considering in building an AR pistol, do it, they are a blast to shoot and very handy...I wouldn't put it off much longer though with things being the way they are.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My arm brace arrives in a couple of days. Now, to think about the upper.
I want this pistol for discrete carry in a backpack or similar. That means a barrel shorter than 11.5", probably.
How short is too short? I want reliable function and I also don't want to lose all the velocity in a noisy fireball at the end of the barrel.

What's the sweet spot for a 5.56 pistol? 9" or 7.5"? I just don't know.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Picked up my SB Tactical PDW brace this week.
Need to order my LPK and slap the 9mm upper on and see how it runs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I decided to go with a 7.5" 300 BO upper. It seems like more pop from that barrel length, in that caliber.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I went with the Maxim Defense brace and it is built very well. I may try an SB Tactical to see how it compares.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I want this pistol for discrete carry in a backpack or similar. That means a barrel shorter than 11.5", probably.
How short is too short? I want reliable function and I also don't want to lose all the velocity in a noisy fireball at the end of the barrel.

Bruce

When I started looking into building my SBRs, it seemed the consensus on barrel length needed to allow time for all the powder to burn was something like 9” in .300 blk and 11” in 5.56.....or something pretty close.

I’d not mind building a PDW, but like you, I’m kinda curious as to what would be a good round for it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Bruce

When I started looking into building my SBRs, it seemed the consensus on barrel length needed to allow time for all the powder to burn was something like 9” in .300 blk and 11” in 5.56.....or something pretty close.

I’d not mind building a PDW, but like you, I’m kinda curious as to what would be a good round for it.

FWIW, when I built an AR pistol with the same intention of being able to put it in a backpack, I went with an 8.5" 300 BLK upper (Sig M400) with a Law Tactical folding stock adapter and a Gearhead Works Mod 1 brace.

My thought process was that 300 BLK is optimized for the shorter barrel, and to fit in a normal-sized backpack, the overall package needs to be as short as possible. With the stock folded, the pistol is exactly 19.5" long.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That PDW brace looks very nice.

Posts: 123 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
BTT with a new question.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTT for a new question:

How reliable is the Dolos takedown system? Has anyone put significant rounds through it? Put it through a class? Is it a gimmick or a solid piece of equipment that you would rely on in the gravest extreme?

While I have no experience with it, I've heard positive things. I've watched some reviews and such and considered one for a while. My focus, however, is just intended use. With an AR pistol, I have a folding stock adapter on one of mine, and that lets it fit in my backpack for storage/carrying and it has a more rapid-deployment than a takedown system. I'd also worry a bit about the gas tube getting bent when broken down.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I have no direct experience with it, but from what I've seen it is a solution looking for a problem. They advertise getting into action in 10 seconds or less. If I need, or want that, I can easily put an upper on the lower, push in the takedown pins, insert a mag, and charge the gun, in 10 seconds or less. All without worrying about damage to the firearm, which the manufacturer highlights as a possiblity. If not the very rare case you needed to rapidly deploy your rifle,with the adrenaline pumping, will you really be able to, "ensure that the lock collar is securely attached to the tri-lug and there is no freeplay in the barrel before shooting your rifle, take care to protect the gas tube when your barrel is separated from the rifle,
be careful when inserting the gas tube into the upper receiver, because it can and will bend bend if improperly installed?"

how effective will that rifle be in a high stress incident, if you damage your has tube?

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Just a question, a little off target, is the 9mm AR/M4 platform starting to take a larger part of the market
Is the pistol with brace the mass that fills the small void created by the decrease in the 5.56/300bk share of the market for the same purpose.

Back to the discussion, the 'forearm' brace is just a necessary evil for me. I actually prefer the plain padded extension tube.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Dolos on a 300blk and a 5.56 barrel (10 & 7.5 respectively), the pistol also has a LAW adapter.

I love it. I chose the longer 300 barrel to easily tell the two caliber a apart.

It's not designed to react to immediate use, as it takes ten or so seconds to deploy.

The draw to it was the ability to carry it covertly. I use a laptop bag. No one knows any different.

A friend carries his in a Herters range bag. It looks like a camera bag. If you didn't know what Herters was you would not think "gun"

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Where are you guys buying from?

I've been looking at PSA but they're still talking about a minimum 10 day wait to process orders. Then add in shipping time.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
PSA quotes 10 days. Most of my recent orders have been received in less than that. 2-3 days plus shipping time has been my real world experience, in March.
YMMV,

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd share my experiences as of today. I have been shooting a 7" 5.56 that I pieced together a year or so ago. No issues at all, and I used the KAK brace on a regular pistol tube. I like it alot, enough that I went on a hunt for something "nicer" to add to the collection. I came across a used Sig 516 10.5 complete upper, and brought it home. I started looking at new lowers, and found a source for Sig M400/516 stripped lowers. Snatched it up, and was overjoyed when it arrived. A couple months go by, and this past Saturday night I ordered the SB PDW stock. It was a long 5 days waiting, but it was in the mailbox Friday afternoon. Opened it up, inspected, and it looked great!! I had already built the Sig lower, minus the buffer tube, so I grabbed it and the SB and headed to the garage. I put the mag block in the vice, threaded the supplied buffer tube in the lower, and torqued it down. All thats left now is adding the "brace" onto the buffer tube. Perfect fit, and it looks awesome. Quality is top notch.

Now the kick in the crotch.... If you notice, which I did not.... The Sig lowers have built in QD mounts in the rear of the lowers. They are located EXACTLY where the two sliding rods move along the sides of the lower. So...the stock fits, but it will not collapse at all. It can only be used in the fully extended position. Pretty bummed...

With that being said, now I'll just build another one!!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Where are you guys buying from?

I've been looking at PSA but they're still talking about a minimum 10 day wait to process orders. Then add in shipping time.
My friends and I buy direct from PSA, off the website. Some stuff comes quick, some does not, but I'm usually not in a rush to get "toys."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post