SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about an arm brace pistol build, now wondering about Dolos takedown system
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about an arm brace pistol build, now wondering about Dolos takedown system Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm thinking about a 5.56/300BO pistol build with an arm brace.
This one looks good to me SB PDW brace

It uses a conventional BCG and carbine buffer.

Opinions from the group?

BTT for a new question:

How reliable is the Dolos takedown system? Has anyone put significant rounds through it? Put it through a class? Is it a gimmick or a solid piece of equipment that you would rely on in the gravest extreme?

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
What are you waiting for? Wink

That's a nice brace, I am still in the stone age using my KAK shockwaves. If I had some extra funds that's the same model I would add to all my pistols.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I thought about that one too but the color doesn't appeal to me. I have 3 lowers that are waiting to be built.

I would pair it with this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...r-ch-5165447715.html

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That is the brace I will be using for my 9mm pistol build.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have one. only comparison is the original sb15 brace. i like it. very sturdy, not canting or wobble when locked in any of the positions. the locking latch is simple, but effective. the link you have shows a pic with a carbine receiver extension, nut, castle nut and end plate. the brace i got had its own extension as well as machined portion for the castle nut and endplate...neither are required. the instructions/videos just say to torque it in place. i used vibra-tite vc-3, but that is not required.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What armorers wrench do you guys recommend? I see prices are all over the place.

Is the block to hold the lower necessary?

posted Hide Post
This one will do most of what you need, maybe not the best, but a good one to start with. The Tapco -

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...pco-multi-tool-ar-15

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Top three:
Gearhead Worka Tailhook (maybe even with the Law Tactical folder)
SB Tactical - excellent customer service experience
Maxim collapsible

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

They are invaluable for assembling a lower; they don’t have to cost an arm and a leg, and can be shimmed with masking tape to be rock solid. Get one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Do it! I use the KAK brace one mine. I did mine in 7.62x39 instead of .300 blackout. Similar round but a lot cheaper to shoot.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's back in black. Going to pick one up with a 10.5" upper.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ontent=11%3a00+Email

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

They are invaluable for assembling a lower; they don’t have to cost an arm and a leg, and can be shimmed with masking tape to be rock solid. Get one.

I like these...inexpensive and quick and free shipping...I also have one of their upper blocks...

https://www.plastixrevolution....-receiver-vise-block

Upper vice block...just for info if anyone is interested Wink

https://www.plastixrevolution....-receiver-vise-block

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
That is a nice brace for sure. Check out the Law Tactical Folder as another potential option. I think it offers a little more space savings in terms of length at the expense of width and allows for a longer receiver extension/brace.

As another option on the other end of the pistol, take a look at the Dolos take down system. It is pretty slick and if you are looking to put your pistol in a compact space it saves even more than the telescoping/folding brace depending on barrel length.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have one too, real nice brace!

compared to a sig brace, it's a whole lot less bulk!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Ugh! Black version sold out last night. I was too slow in getting the card out to pay.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
What are the rules concerning a forward brace?
I just picked up a new 7.5" pistol build in 556. with a SIG brace.

What can I use legally as a forward hand stop brace without it being classified as a SBR?

Thanks.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Rolan- found this in the interwebs- on page 2 of a letter from the ATF, they specify a vertical foregrip as putting an AR pistol into NFA territory. Vertical, and only vertical. I would think that any device not fitting the “vertical” description would be safe. The distinction in the regulation appears to be if the fore grip can be used as an actual grip, as opposed to a stop.

https://johnpierceesq.com/can-...rip-to-an-ar-pistol/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rolan- found this in the interwebs- on page 2 of a letter from the ATF, they specify a vertical foregrip as putting an AR pistol into NFA territory. Vertical, and only vertical. I would think that any device not fitting the “vertical” description would be safe. The distinction in the regulation appears to be if the fore grip can be used as an actual grip, as opposed to a stop.

Thanks. So I think that one of the grips that wraps around the magazine well should be OK and maybe one of these?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:

Thanks. So I think that one of the grips that wraps around the magazine well should be OK and maybe one of these?

From all my NFA research as far as I know you are good to go with that magpul AFG. Any hand stop should also be good to go.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As above, I believe that the AFG, or any other type of stop that cannot be gripped is gtg. If it was ever questioned, semantics are everything- it says “vertical” right in the opinion of the highest authority on the subject.

From the same source, here is an opinion regarding the mag well grip...
https://johnpierceesq.com/does...-pistol-into-an-aow/