SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New HK MR 556 A1 Owner, any SF MR556 owners here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HK MR 556 A1 Owner, any SF MR556 owners here? Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
Last week my LGS sent an email blast out around lunch stating they had a consignment HK MR 556 available. I have not picked up a new HK piece in some time, I have been waiting for the right time to pick up one of the new SP5K but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Well I tried to avoid the email after I saw it but that ended quickly. Then I decided I would swing by and have a look what the heck. So I did and it was like new, no signs that it has ever been fired. It came with only the gun, and factory diopter sights but no extras not even a mag...
They had it listed at $2000, a fair price I was pretty sure but really hadn't thought of a new HK rifle in some time. I knew there was a cultish love hate for them on HKPro.com. I also knew that the newer models have a keymod forearm that really does not do it for me. This one had the picatinney rail.

I left the store and went to another LGS down the road to see what they had. I checked gunbroker hoping to find that the price was way out of line, nope! I killed some time there but had to return past the shop on my way back to work, so while on the way back I decided that I had some gun money set aside that would cover the HK but I would buy it only if they negotiated a little on price. Otherwise I would take it as a sign.
Well they took $100 off which covered a lot of my Texas sales tax.

Been researching it more deeply and see lots of HK parts available for it, grips and folding iron sights, slimline rear stocks, etc.

It is a front end heavy thing I will tell you with plenty of barrel out to the FH. Piston driven and swiss bank vault tight between the upper and lower. I learned that like our Sig 55X's they have an engineered pin that requires a tool(located in the butt stock) to push a recessed plunger that will then enable the retaining pin to slide to the side like a typical AR. This is some of the hate I mentioned. I also learned that the early Magpul mags don't work in this of course... apparently Gen 3 forward and the older E Mags work well.

My list of obligatory expensive HK branded accessories to obtain includes some rail covers, maybe the flip down front BUIS, a factory manual, mags, HK factory cheap lock, HK allen tool, maybe the black HK case that come with it from the factory.

Any other MR 556 owners here?

What RDO optics have you mounted on your MR 556?

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the MR556! I have one also. I haven't mounted optics yet. When I do, I will probably go with a good variable optic. Mine came with Troy BUIS and I really like them. Like you, I never cared for the new HKey mod handguard. Glad mine has the quad rail. Although, I'd eventually like to get Geiselle rails for it and my MR762.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never handled one, but I'm not a fan of some of the things they did with it. Having a "special" bolt carrier that specifically make the 416 BCG not work. Why they didn't just ship a 16" 416 upper makes me shake my head. If I were going to run a piston gun, it would probably be a SBR with a can. I've heard the MR556 is incredibly accurate, though.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
I've never handled one, but I'm not a fan of some of the things they did with it. Having a "special" bolt carrier that specifically make the 416 BCG not work. Why they didn't just ship a 16" 416 upper makes me shake my head. If I were going to run a piston gun, it would probably be a SBR with a can. I've heard the MR556 is incredibly accurate, though.

Actually, it's not the bolt carrier that makes a 416 carrier not work. It's a tab extending from the MR barrel extension that prevent the use of a 416 carrier. The MR carrier has a cutout for that tab.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dwill - that's what I meant. I phrased it imprecisely. There's no reason that I can think of not to use a full auto BCG, ever. (If there is, please enlighten me.)

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post