SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who made the SIG 522?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who made the SIG 522? Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted
It was discontinued in 2015, but...

Simple question, I think, does anyone know who actually manufactured the SIG 522 pistols/rifles?

I don't think it was Umarex, was it actually SIG??

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, and I'm pretty sure it was made by Sig.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
ETA, all the photos online seem to indicate it was in fact made by SIG SAUER in NH

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They're great guns. I haven't found any ammo they don't like, which is rare for rimfire autoloaders.
Great with a supressor, too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Only asking because I just acquired this heavy barrel and I was curious regarding its provenance.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
heavy barrel was an optional accessory. I had a 522 with original threaded barrel and the accessory HB and it was a great gun.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
heavy barrel was an optional accessory. I had a 522 with original threaded barrel and the accessory HB and it was a great gun.

I have the same gun, second one actually as I stupidly sold the first one. I had the heavy barrel cut to 16.25” and threaded. Great suppressor host. Not ammo sensitive at all. Trigger is heavy on it.

And yes, these were made by Sig and for the money probably the most robust .22 replica of a centerfire rifle out there. If you ever needed to use it as a club I wouldn’t hesitate. The down side is that being so heavy makes it tough for a younger shooter to hold. Still a very very well made rifle that mostly flew under the radar.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I believe they were at least assembled by Sig in NH, and maybe even produced there. Great little rifles, accurate and reliable.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to try one but never got around to it. For a time there was a pistol version that would have been superb with today’s brace options.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

I still have that exact package with the HB still in the original packaging.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a 522 with the folding stock and had no idea they were discontinued. It is an excellent rimfire rifle, extremely reliable shooter. It has literally never failed to fire in the over 2000 rounds I have put through it. I like the Black Dog Machine mags. I haven't shot it in a couple of years. I think I'll pull it out next time.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just don't break it as with all things sig discontinued its past its parts due date.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Another plus is that the mags are the same as those used in the CMMG type AR .22 conversion kits.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
ETA, all the photos online seem to indicate it was in fact made by SIG SAUER in NH

So did the Mosquito that was produced by GSG.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Until I read this post I didn't realize the 522 had been discontinued. I purchase mine in 2011 and has always run without any problems. So we are screwed if we need parts?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Until I read this post I didn't realize the 522 had been discontinued. I purchase mine in 2011 and has always run without any problems. So we are screwed if we need parts?

Yes, as with many things Sig.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
I always wanted to try one but never got around to it. For a time there was a pistol version that would have been superb with today’s brace options.

I bought the pistol version some years back, for a while they were offering them with a green laser for $499 but there was a dealer or maybe a distrbutor that was selling the pistol & laser seperate ... IIRC the pistol was $299 I got one to SBR, sold the swat handguard a year or so later on GunBroker, it was enough to cover the stock & plastic handguard ... I really should have taken an updated picture, for a while it and my P556 SBR were almost identical.

I had a 16" for a while too but sold it to a buddy.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

So did the Mosquito that was produced by GSG.
That's kind of the reason the question was in the back of my mind, when I posed the question. The main difference I see in the 522 is that it seems to be far simpler, more robust in design and materials than the pot metal used in a lot of those types of designs.

Certainly the choice of magazines (Black Dog) was much better than some/most.

Thing is, American Tactical lists a GSG522 that "looks" a lot like the SIG 522, albeit, a WAY more complicated design.
https://www.americantactical.us/page/downloads.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stoic-one,

NRA Benefactor

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I sent Sig an email over the weekend about parts for the 522. As we know, they don't sell the parts, but with the lifetime warranty they will always do a repair. As someone already stated shipping is expensive, but I like this Sig enough to pay the shipping. I like my M&P 15/22 a lot, but if I had to make a choice in one or the other, I would take the Sig 522.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I sent Sig an email over the weekend about parts for the 522. As we know, they don't sell the parts, but with the lifetime warranty they will always do a repair. As someone already stated shipping is expensive, but I like this Sig enough to pay the shipping. I like my M&P 15/22 a lot, but if I had to make a choice in one or the other, I would take the Sig 522.

CDNN has/had a number of small parts for the 522 available.

As for the lifetime warranty not so much.
Once they are out of parts you are SOL on your 522. They’ll replace it with something of equal or lesser value in current production.
Guess what that is? Nothing so you’ll likely get a credit to their generally overpriced webstore.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post