SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How is it possible to shear an AR15 barrel extension pin?(Update)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is it possible to shear an AR15 barrel extension pin?(Update) Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
(Update) I mailed the barrel to Adco a week ago Monday and received it back today. That’s pretty quick by any standard. The barrel is now properly mated to the upper and ready for a range trip.

Many thanks to you all for the help. It is appreciated.

Badcopnodonut!!

I was switching handguards this morning and managed to do just this.

I was using a reaction rod in my vise like I always do. Torque was set at 40lbs and the gas tube hole was just short of being lined up with the upper. No big deal, I applied a little more force to line things up and SNICK. The upper and barrel now are turning together in unison.

I feared that the indexing pin had sheared thru the aluminum upper. It never crossed my mind that the pin had broken.

I got out my clamshell block, removed the barrel nut and low and behold I find the pin had sheared off smooth leaving the upper undamaged.

This is not my first rodeo when it comes to AR15 uppers but I never knew this was even possible.

Has anyone else seen this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
More importantly, how are you gonna fix it?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
More importantly, how are you gonna fix it?

I’ll send it off for repair. A web search finds guys talking about drilling it out and replacing the pin themselves. JP Enterprises sells
replacement pins. I don’t have a drill press and would likely ruin an otherwise salvageable barrel.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I've seen it happen before.

The only explanation I can think of is that the index pin is specifically soft so that it doesn't destroy the upper. It's only supposed to index, the barrel/barrel extension, but it is the "sacrificial" part, like how the gas rings in on the bolt are specifically supposed to be softer than the inside of the bolt carrier.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input LDD. Would a little grease between the barrel nut and the mating surface of the insert ease the rotational forces and keep this from occuring again?

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Yes. Always use grease on the upper receiver threads. If not using grease, the force is higher than what you're seeing on the torque bar. At least that's what I've read. The Reaction Rod can exert a lot of force. I like the Reaction Rod. But to be safe, I prefer the Supper Reaction Rod with locks into the upper receiver unlike the regular Reaction Rod.

I sheared the index pin on one of my ARs when I fired a round that had a high primer. Adco can fix it for $40.

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/...broken-ar-index-pin/

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
Ed308, thanks for the link to ADCO. I’ve always used anti seize on the receiver threads but never thought about the barrel nut/receiver area.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Thanks for the input LDD. Would a little grease between the barrel nut and the mating surface of the insert ease the rotational forces and keep this from occuring again?

Yes, it would. We always used a bit of anti-seize grease around the barrel extension before mating it with the upper receiver (not dry lube: graphite + aluminum = bad things).

There's no guarantee you won't shear another pin, but it's the most insurance you'll get during this kind of operation.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
As noted, this is an issue with the basic reaction rod. It locks into the barrel extension, but it leaves the upper free to be pulled/stressed by the barrel nut, and the index pin is bearing all of that stress.

Wish I knew this before buying one Roll Eyes . I'm likely going to keep using mine until I have an issue because money went elsewhere for the time being. The Midwest Industries one has a feature to interface with the charging handle slot to spread that stress out, isn't nearly as expensive as the Geissele Pro.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should always use oil on the threads before torqueing them. Most torque specs are based on the threads being lubricated with 30 wt. oil (you don't need a lot of it on the threads), unless the torque specs specifically state use of another lubricant (moly lube, or lithium grease for example) or dry. Different oils will give the nut different torque specs than others, and you torque bolts based on stretch and not to snap them off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
No love for the Magpul BEV block around here? I’ve been using one of those for years without issue. Keeps the upper from rotating and pins on so the teeth can’t work their way out of the extension on you.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
No love for the Magpul BEV block around here?

I like the Magpul BEV block myself.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should always use oil on the threads before torqueing them

While its better than nothing, no you shouldn't use oil on an AR for this use. The specified product for this is moly disulfide grease. Easy to get the specified product and a lifetime supply is $20.
That and in my TM the specified initial torque is 30 ft-lb. But I doubt the lack of lube was the basic issue nor the initial over torquing.
I use the geissle super to help on this, but I don't think its foolproof. The fact that ADCO has a stock item in their list of services suggests to me it happens with some frequency. But in any case you should properly lube before starting a barrel nut install IMO...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:

I've build several rifles with the BEV Block.

Unless it's a SUPER expensive barrel. Instead of sending it off. Why not just grab a Faxon barrel for $150 and be done with it?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't understand the recommendation of not fixing it for $40 via ADCO when a decent new barrel is way more than that....

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:

I've build several rifles with the BEV Block.

Unless it's a SUPER expensive barrel. Instead of sending it off. Why not just grab a Faxon barrel for $150 and be done with it?

It well worth the $40 to repair.

Not Today
posted Hide Post
Update at top of the page.

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
ADCO are good people

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post