SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Describe your fighting AR style carbine.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Describe your fighting AR style carbine. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
What is it? Carbine length, or mid length? Front sight post, or flip ups? 10 inch or 20 inch? Optic? Light? Rail system? Painted or not? Brand?

Tell me about it?

Hell, post a pic!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Colt LE6920, 16"; Magpul handguard, grip, stock, magazine, sling; Aimpoint CompML3; someone’s flip-up rear BUS; Tango Down(?) VFG; someone’s flash suppressor (AAC, IIRC); INFORCE light.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have two favorites atm.

Number one is currently on HD duty and is a mix-master mutt. RRA lower and upper, Colt Socom 14.5 pinned barrel, old school Larue quad rail, front post gas block, Aimpoint, VFG with Surefire pressure switch and scout. Runs like a scalded ape.

Number two is my current favorite and would be my gun to grab for a class. Spikes lower & upper, Larue MBT trigger, BA mid length Hanson barrel 14.5” barrel, 13” BCM mlok rail, flip up irons, Aimpoint PRO, handstop, Surefire scout with tail switch.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what fighting AR style is. But for the longest time going back to your colt post it was a colt 6940 with an aimpoint, surefire light with IR, switch, dbal or PEQ, PVS14, backup irons, sling and maybe something I'm forgetting.
But when the brace era arrived all that went on a shorter barrel version MK18 type gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I would describe my style as “what can I find on sale that will get me close to what I want but can’t afford.”

The base unit is a 1st Gen VTAC S&w M&P 15. On top is an Aimpoint Pro with backup Magpul flip up sights. The light and attachment came with the rifle as part of the package as did the VTAC sling that is not in the picture. The Surefire light is old and there are better options but this one still works so it gets to stay. It has a Magpul VFG because again, it was on sale and I couldn’t justify the money for one of those shorter ones from BCM. The stock is currently a LaRue version because the original VLTOR had a habit of pulling my beard whiskers out one-by-one. I just ordered a piece of neoprene from McMillen to put over the top to cover the joints that were pulling the hairs so the original VLTOR may be making a return if that neoprene does the job of saving my beard.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Currently, a 16” Daniel Defense, carbine gas gun with an Omega rail, A2 front sight and A1.5 rear. Aimpoint PRO cowitnessed, with SureFire Scout 300 light. MagPul CTR Stock and MOE grip and trigger guard under an ALG Defense ACT trigger. Using a VTAC padded sling.

Working on a very similar Spikes/PSA build but with a Leupold 1-5x VX5 HD FireDot scope and flip up sights. This one will have an Edgar Sherman Design sling.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
My main rifle (work and gets shot the most) is a 10.5 sbr. Has a pws lower, an aero upper, noveske chf barrel, geissele mk8 forend, ssa trigger, and bcm stock and grip. Currently has a scout light, T1, knights buis, and aac flash hider and m4-2000. Nothing is painted on this one. All black minus the forend, scout light, and io cover on the t1 is fde, and the front sight is of course taupe from knights (couldn't resist buying that a few years back when rsr got a bunch of them in stock). I have to upload a pic then when I'm back at a computer.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Bushmaster lower with an unknown-maker CAR-style upper. Simple sling. At times, I’ve mounted an out-of-print Viking Tactics SureFire mount to the forearm.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carried a Bushmaster 16” heavy barrel,
fixed front sight block,
Changed the front sight to a trijicon insert,
A Wilson clamp on three small rails that fit in the FSB- for a small pistol light,
USGI sling,
Hogue pistol grip,
6 position stock,
A2upper with fixed carry handle.
Nothing fancy
All utility,

When I retired I swapped the upper to an A4 flattop,
Removed the FSB,
Installed an adjustable GB,
Put a SigSauer QD three prong flash hider for my can,
Replaced the regular grips with a Midwest industries gen 2 free float tube with a small diameter tube.
Also put a CMC drop in one stage trigger(got it on sale at midway)

Then I built another one just like it out of a DPMS with a pencil barrel...(friend was getting separated and needed cash)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Mine started as a Spike's Tactical M4LE upper and BCG on a Rock River lower and LPK. Carbine-length gas, standard M4 FSB. I swapped the RR trigger for an ALG QMS and the M4 buttstock for a Magpul CTR. I mounted a used Aimpoint Comp-M4 that I picked up from Arfcom, and added a BFG Vickers sling and a Surefire Scout light. The light and front sling QD are both on a mount I found at Midwest Industries that clamps on the FSB. The tape switch for the light was held in place by a couple of rubber bands.

A couple years ago I decided to modify it just a bit. I removed the FSB and handguards / D-ring / barrel nut and replaced them with a slim 13" MLok rail and low profile gas block, and MBus front and rear flip-up BUIS. I swapped the big heavy Comp-M4 for a Sig Romeo-5 RDS, and replaced the A2 pistol grip with a BCM Gunfighter. I have a cheap Vortex 4-12 scope on a PEPR QD mount that I can swap the RDS for in a couple of minutes. It even returns to zero fairly well. I also upgraded the QMS trigger to an ACT. Mounting for the light, tape switch and sling QD are all MLok now. Just recently I replaced the A2 flash hider with a YHM FH that includes a QD mount for a suppressor. I use the same can on one other AR and will also on my 6.5CM bolt gun as soon as I get it threaded.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It started life as a Colt 6920LE.

Removed FSB
Diamondback slim handguard
Surefire light mounted at 9:00
Leupold 1.25-4 scope in ADM mounts
Flip up sights
Magpul ACS stock
Hogue pistol grip
Geiselle trigger
Ambi mag release and safety

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Mine is old school. An Armalite A2 mid-length upper with a PSA nickel boron bolt on a Lauer (LMT) lower with a Spykes parts kit, Magpul grip and trigger guard and a Colt SP1 A1 stock.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have 2,

one is a RRA lower and parts kit, A1 fixed stock,
A2 upper, 16" with some spare parts funky flash hider,

runs like a top

the other is a converted Sendra lower, (happy switch) 11.5 SGW heavy barrel, on a A1 upper and a simple A1 flash hider,
Colt aluminum collapsible stock,

3 round burst currently in it,

it has many many rounds thru it and also runs like a top

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Bushmaster lower with A2 stock and a LaRue grip, PSA Freedom 16" mid-length upper with ss barrel and a standard HG. FSB with AimPoint M68 in LaRue CCO mount. Noveske rear buis. With 20rd Aluminum GI mag. Simple, not cluttered. No sling right now.

I like simple. Fairly light weight. Handy. All the other stuff is fluff, imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I only have one in 5.56, just a mutt.
PSA 16" upper and Anderson Lower.

Tried the red dot and went with a 1x6 PA scope.
Swapped the charging handle out for a Radian Raptor.
Swapped the PSA BGC for a Radian one.
Swapped out the carbine action for a Vltor A5 running running an A5H2 buffer.
Used the trigger from a BCM lower kit.
No BU sights, I have a few sets, I just don't run them on my scoped rifles.
I do plan on getting an Inforce light and mounting it in place of the front sight.
Vickers Blue Force padded sling mounted fore and aft.

I had been looking at 1.9" mounts to get the scope up a bit and just got in a Yankee Hill .5" riser to try it out.
That seems much better for me, I just need to get out and try it out live.
It puts my head at a better angle to see through my bifocals, my neck isn't kinked over as much and my ear muff isn't pushed out of the way trying to get a good cheek weld.

As it is now.

Just got this in, no more mags in the back pocket.

Handy place to mount the Safariland holster too.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Carbine length gas system. Geissele trigger. Bravo company upper. Sbr’d to please the three letter guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Colt 6921. KAC M4 RAS, Surefire Scout light, Vicker's sling. Accurate and fun to shoot.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
SIG 516
Trijicon ACOG
Surefire light
Wilson Combat TTU
Magpul STR stock and PRO flip sights
BFG custom sling
Stock finish

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ARMT Guy,

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

LE6945CQB - Meprolight M21 - INFORCE WML - SiCo Omega 300

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CMMG SBR'd lower, LMT MRP CQB upper with 10.5" barrel, AAC Blackout FH, Aimpoint H1 and Surefire X300. No photos...haven't been home since January.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post