SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What scope are you all running on your hunting rifles?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope are you all running on your hunting rifles? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I have a Winchester M70 Extreme in 30-06 that is getting some upgrades (McMillan stock, scope) and it needs a new scope. Im just sort of curious about what you all are running on your all around hunting rigs, almost all of my hunting scope experience has been with Leupold with exception of a few Vortex scopes and a swarovski.

For this rifle Id sort of like to go a different direction than Leupold, Ive just had so many of them for so long. If this was your rifle and it was going to be used a fair bit for things like moose and caribou etc, what scope would you put on it?

Thanks!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Budget?

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Budget?

~4-500 dollars. I could stretch it to 6 for something good.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leupold vx3...

Zeiss conquest are the two i have used. Out of the two, i liked the zeiss. I picked it up used with the rifle at the time. 350ish iirc.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy carp! I did not know they had gone up so much in price. Mine was a generation or two prior to the 1.2k models out there. Even so i was very happy with it.

I am somewhat in the same boat. I have an annie 64 mpr comming. I am looking for a suitable scope. I have not found any 8,10,12 fixed power scopes i like. Maybe i will stick with the 6-24 ffp models from vortex.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have VX3s on a few guns, Id sort of like to try something other than a leupold this time around.

posted Hide Post
Meopta 3-9x40 MeoPro

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would probably buy a Monarch grade Nikon. With a 30-06 used for hunting, I'd probably stay with the traditional 3-9 x 40 but might look at a 4-12.

I don't like the 50mm objectives on hunting scopes for the most prosaic of reasons; they are harder to manage in tight quarters, and don't fit in a lot of rifle cases.

The Zeiss are nice, also. I have heard good things about Vortex, but don't have any experience with them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Burris or Nikon in that price range. I have Burris on two of my CZs and like them a lot.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Been using a lowly Burris 2-7x since 1979, a Burris straight 12x since 1985, and also have a Burris 2-7x EER pistol scope. All of mine are US made (most Burris today are not), and all are very good performers indeed. Burris scopes are built hell-for-stout, great optics, reliable, and a forever warranty. Lots of choices out there, seems Burris does it for me. FWIW, I have a Nikon EER scope, that has treated me well too.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never used meopta, Burris or Nikon, I'll look into those.

Is weaver worth looking these days???

Zeus makes great stuff but I'm not trying to spend hd5 money on this gun, it's not going to be used for precision/long range shooting. Just a basic hunting rifle, I already have my sheep/mountain rifle set up.

posted Hide Post
On my huntig rifle, I run an old Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X44. It's an incredible scope with very high light transmission and I've hunted hogs at midnight with that set up and brought down some big hogs.

I would suggest you look at the Nikon Monarch 5 3-15X42. That bad boy has ED glass, if you can believe that and a 42mm objective lens. It has side focus and a 5x zoom ratio. All for just under $600.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
All of my hunting guns wear no less than Nikon, Burris, or Leupold glass. None of these brands have failed me, and Leupold in particular, has a bombproof warranty. It does not matter what the issue, if they cannot repair it for free, they will replace it for free. I bought a sight unseen 2-7X32 that turned out to have a completely fubared adjustment turret. I sent it in and in less than 2 weeks, had a brand new scope in hand. All my new glass will be Leupold.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Most of the game I've shot has been seen through Leupold scopes, and three with the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x.

Vermin I've predominantly used el cheapo Weaver or Tasco on rimfires. Although I have a Leupold 1-4 on my 10/22 TD that I really like.

Whatever your price point is if you want to noticeably upgrade you'll have to figure on spending twice that amount...each time.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
The SWFA branded scopes seem to have good reviews and a lot fit in your budget.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Do the Leupolds work?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Leupolds on all my rifles that have a bolt, lever or slide (pump). Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Do the Leupolds work?

Yup leupolds work great, Ive used them for years, I recently put the new Vx3i 2.5-8x36 on my Kimber Montana.

I just happened into this M70 and thought Id go a different route. Ive seen lots of people using Nikon, Burris, Etc but I never have, so I was thinking it would be a good chance to try something else.

Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50 SF with BDC reticle.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post