SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is a good replacement for an Eotech XPS2?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good replacement for an Eotech XPS2? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have an Eotech XPS2. Nothing wrong with it. However, I know there are better choices nowadays. Something a bit smaller and lighter. I don’t need anything special. It’s for my 10.5” work AR. I’m thinking maybe a Sig Romeo5.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
The Sig red dots are definitely smaller and lighter but i kept going back to the Eotech for the lens size/field of view. The Sigs were also cheap. I broke a couple screws too. But that was determined to be partly my fault, over torquing tbe sbcews..

Im just not a super big fan of small red dots, personally. It took quite some experimentation and trigger time for me to learn it.

Some of the bigger ones like the Trij MRO intrigue me though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While the Romeo 5 is a nice RDS, it is made in China and to me not on par with what one expects from Eotech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon.

I own a Romeo 5 as well as units from all 3 of those companies.

For 'smaller', options are really Aimpoint Micro H-2/T-2 (spendy at $650-750), or a Trijicon MRO ($400), or a Romeo 5 ($150).

If it was a duty / HD gun, I'd go with an Aimpoint or Trijicon. Hobby / range / fun gun, the Romeo 5 is fine (it's on my 9MM AR-SBR). Aimpoints are on all my serious rifles and I only have the Eotechs because they were on sale and are my AA battery RDS.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on a 'work' AR get an aimpoint. For an AR the entry level ones like the PRO will be fine and the price includes the mount. I've had good luck with the MRO on several competition rifles and it seems durable enough, but it has nowhere near real world experience and toughness that aimpoint has.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the MRO. I like those. I guess I could try to sell or trade my Eotech. I had an Aimpoint Pro a couple years ago. I wasn’t happy with the dot.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I forgot about the MRO. I like those. I guess I could try to sell or trade my Eotech. I had an Aimpoint Pro a couple years ago. I wasn’t happy with the dot.

Thanks guys.

What was wrong with the PRO? Too small? The MRO was HUGE when i looked at it at the gun store a month or so back. But un-mounted and with me probably not focused right, im sure it wasnt as bad as i thought it was.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
The dot didn’t look like a dot to me. Like anyone, I can be really weird.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks guys.

After that garbage EoTech pulled years ago I dumped mine for their refund and went with the Trijicon MRO and am very happy with it.
Took some time getting used to just the dot but shooting is fun and a bit of practice did just fine.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like you have astigmatism. It's a common eye issue that will warp the shape of a red dot reticle to one extent or another, depending on the severity of your astigmatism.

Holographic reticles like Eotechs are less affected by astigmatism.

Etched reticles like prismatic sights and traditional magnified scopes are not affected by astigmatism.

So if your astigmatism is so severe as to render an Aimpoint PRO's reticle unusable, then I would recommend sticking to your Eotech, as all red dots will be similarly affected (including the Trijicon MRO or Sig Romeo you're eyeing).

I personally have only a slight astigmatism, which just turns the dot into a comma shape, or basically a dot with a slight diagonal "tail" on it. That's still perfectly usable.

Another option is to go with a very low power prismatic optic, like a 1.5x ACOG. That etched reticle won't be affected by your astigmatism, but it's also not a true 1x so it will take a bit of practice to get used to, and cannot cowitness with iron sights. (Invest in a QD mount to remove the optic entirely if you need to switch to backup irons, or go with a set of 45 degree offset BUIS.)

There are some lesser quality prismatic sights that are closer to a true 1x, like the Vortex Spitfire or Primary Arms SLx, but I'd be hesitant to put them on a hard use duty rifle. (I have similar durability/reliabilty concerns about the Sig Romeo.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with my Eotech. I'd be fine with keeping it. I haven't had any battery issues like I have read about.

This SBR is banged around and shot quite a bit. I know the reticle of the eotech does look fuzzy to me and I know that it should.

I like your description of the PRO dot being shaped like a comma. That is exactly how it was! It woulda worked but a buddy wanted it and he still uses it to this day with no issues whatsoever.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Sounds like you have astigmatism. It's a common eye issue that will warp the shape of a red dot reticle to one extent or another, depending on the severity of your astigmatism.

Holographic reticles like Eotechs are less affected by astigmatism.

Etched reticles like prismatic sights and traditional magnified scopes are not affected by astigmatism.

So if your astigmatism is so severe as to render an Aimpoint PRO's reticle unusable, then I would recommend sticking to your Eotech, as all red dots will be similarly affected (including the Trijicon MRO or Sig Romeo you're eyeing).

I personally have only a slight astigmatism, which just turns the dot into a comma shape, or basically a dot with a slight diagonal "tail" on it. That's still perfectly usable.

Another option is to go with a very low power prismatic optic, like a 1.5x ACOG. That etched reticle won't be affected by your astigmatism, but it's also not a true 1x so it will take a bit of practice to get used to, and cannot cowitness with iron sights. (Invest in a QD mount to remove the optic entirely if you need to switch to backup irons, or go with a set of 45 degree offset BUIS.)

There are some lesser quality prismatic sights that are closer to a true 1x, like the Vortex Spitfire or Primary Arms SLx, but I'd be hesitant to put them on a hard use duty rifle. (I have similar durability/reliabilty concerns about the Sig Romeo.)

posted Hide Post
If you like the circle/dot reticle used on the EoTech only in a red dot format, you might try the Sig Sauer Romeo 8. It also has a choice of a single red dot, a circle with 3 dot bullet drop compensator, and just a 3 dot bullet drop compensator.

I just bought the Romeo 8T and so far am pretty impressed with the field of view and the clarity of the lens. It's a little on the pricey side, but then most quality optics are anyway.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I just checked them out. They are interesting looking.

quote:
Originally posted by rlbuzz:
If you like the circle/dot reticle used on the EoTech only in a red dot format, you might try the Sig Sauer Romeo 8. It also has a choice of a single red dot, a circle with 3 dot bullet drop compensator, and just a 3 dot bullet drop compensator.

I just bought the Romeo 8T and so far am pretty impressed with the field of view and the clarity of the lens. It's a little on the pricey side, but then most quality optics are anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks guys.

I've got an MRO on my CMMG Banshee 10.5" 10mm AR pistol (probably SBR it eventually). It is superb.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too got rid of Eotechs back in the day - moving to a PRO and a couple of variable power illuminated reticle optics. I recently traded a buddy a Strike Eagle for his Eotech because I was stripping the weapon back down to a usable weight. Its all about what are you going to use the weapon for? Do you need to shoot at 300m+ or are you thinking more of a 25-200m weapon?

The 1.5x6 or 1.5x8 illuminated reticle options are great if you need to reach out further, but they add weight and bulk to the rifle.

The PRO is a great economical choice. I had one since they came out and have had zero issues.

The Romeo 5 is a good choice as well for a lower end optic. I have had good luck with them.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the aimpoint is a vision problem, the MRO will have the same issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
This definitely a 25-200m weapon. I was afraid of that with the MRO, hrcjon.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Holosun make one that retains the Eotech reticle which I prefer. This one is mounted on my sons Turkey gun and hasnt had any issues.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm going to throw up an anecdotal point.

I have always been an Aimpoint guy. I'll go as far as saying I am anti-EoTech for a host of reasons. But, work has been sending me to a bunch of CQB classes. We issue the T1. I have noticed over the last few years that all of the high end SF units run the XPS. It never made a lot of sense to me as the T1 was superior in just about every aspect. Then I started to notice a fundamental shift in tunnel vision in CQB with a smaller optic among shooters in the shoot house. The smaller optic seems to have more of a habit of "sucking you in" instead of looking through the optic. IE- I'd roll into the room and go hot, and have a hard time keeping situational awareness on what the target and immediate surroundings were doing. I started making runs with the EoTech EXPS and the problem is much, much less.

I think that is why when you look at the upper crust of CT units, I think that is why you see so many EoTechs. I was told that SIGs EoTech clone was a direct request from JSOC.

So, it makes a certain amount of sense to my train of thought.

My opinion is change your batteries in the XPS every so often and don't go smaller. If you want to go to an Aimpoint, go larger to a PRO or Comp M4.

Next year when we replace our T1s, we will replace them with Aimpoint M4s, or EoTech EXPS.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'm going to throw up an anecdotal point.

I have always been an Aimpoint guy. I'll go as far as saying I am anti-EoTech for a host of reasons. But, work has been sending me to a bunch of CQB classes. We issue the T1. I have noticed over the last few years that all of the high end SF units run the XPS. It never made a lot of sense to me as the T1 was superior in just about every aspect. Then I started to notice a fundamental shift in tunnel vision in CQB with a smaller optic among shooters in the shoot house. The smaller optic seems to have more of a habit of "sucking you in" instead of looking through the optic. IE- I'd roll into the room and go hot, and have a hard time keeping situational awareness on what the target and immediate surroundings were doing. I started making runs with the EoTech EXPS and the problem is much, much less.

I think that is why when you look at the upper crust of CT units, I think that is why you see so many EoTechs. I was told that SIGs EoTech clone was a direct request from JSOC.

So, it makes a certain amount of sense to my train of thought.

My opinion is change your batteries in the XPS every so often and don't go smaller. If you want to go to an Aimpoint, go larger to a PRO or Comp M4.

Next year when we replace our T1s, we will replace them with Aimpoint M4s, or EoTech EXPS.

Many moons ago when I took your rifle course in North Carolina and I borrowed your T1 for the course to decide if I was ready to make the jump to a dot or not while I loved the speed I gained with the dot I hated the small field of view. While my shots were quicker and while not precision they were certainly hitting what would need to be hit in a gun fight I felt I was missing something. I ended up going with the EoTech and enjoyed it for a few years, then the thing with EoTech went down and we were no longer allowed to use EoTechs. Sold mine back and went with the MRO for the larger field of view. I do miss the ring reticle of the EoTech. Still can’t use one for work and still have a sore spot for the situation and not sure I would buy one again if I could.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jones. I believe I’ll just keep her. Like I said, I’ve really had no issues. I was just thinking smaller and lighter but that doesn’t seem the way to go.