SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR 15, praire dogs and barrel length... <Pic Added>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15, praire dogs and barrel length... <Pic Added> Login/Join 
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
Last year I went on my very first P-dog hunt. This year I want to take a heavy barrel AR instead of my Ruger bolt gun. Ive used RRA varmint barrels in the past and will likely do so again, but I cant decide on barrel length.

Will a 24" barrel have a decided advantage over a 20" barrel?

This rifle will be used only from a bench so weight isn't a concern.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2448 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I've gone P-dogging with a 20 & 22" AR. For me the 22" is preferred since it's a custom with a Shilen barrel.

I think either would do. A nice trigger is important, one of mine has a Jewel, the other a Timney. Then one wants very frangible bullets, like a V-max or blitzking.

Add a good scope & blast away.

Posts: 2720 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have ARs with a 20" Krieger and a 24" unknown brand barrel ARs. The 20" Krieger is noticeably more accurate, and it has the same muzzle velocity as the 24" with 69 through 77 grain ammo. The 24" barrel has the MV advantage with 55 Hornady V-Max -- 3,256 vs 3,078 fps in the Krieger. Run a ballistics program to see what that difference does for you.

Depending on your trigger skills with an AR, you will likely bag more p-dogs with your bolt gun than with an AR. Many people blast away with an AR, thinking volume makes up for precision.

Posts: 4573 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Depending on your trigger skills with an AR, you will likely bag more p-dogs with your bolt gun than with an AR. Many people blast away with an AR, thinking volume makes up for precision.

I understand where your coming from fritz.

Posts: 2448 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt H3 Enhanced 6724 with a 24" barrel that I use for prairie dogs. Replace the oem stock with a Magpul PRS stock.

Posts: 1705 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I want to go Prairie Doggin' bad. But we don't have them in Ohio!

Would my 91/30 be to much?

"When Bruce Gray speaks, I STFU and take notes." - PD (05-10-06 22:27Hrs)
"da evil Count Glockula."-Para
--->Click here to see my photos!<---

Posts: 7291 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

I don't think it would be accurate enough for shots over 100 yards if that and yes imo its to much gun for those little critters. Confused

Posts: 1705 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-- Would my 91/30 be to much?
-- I don't think it would be accurate enough for shots over 100 yards if that and yes imo its to much gun for those little critters.

I've shot p-dogs with 22lr, 223, 270, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The most successful shoots (not hunts) were with 22lr up close while driving around the field in a pickup, and 6.5 Creedmoor at distances of 300-400 yards. Bigger calibers work -- if the rifle system is accurate and distances can be accurately measured. IMO the 91/30 wouldn't be accurate enough.

The 6.5 Creedmoor does the job against really fat p-dogs. The bullet just ice picks through soft tissue and produces substantial trauma. But it also produces nice backward twisting swan dives with spinal impacts.

Posts: 4573 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

Well, if you shoot it with the bayo on and miss then you could run up and stab them.

PC

Posts: 487 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

Well, if you shoot it with the bayo on and miss then you could run up and stab them.

PC

HAHAHAHAHAHA that would be horrible. Funny to watch but just horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd use my AR 15 battle rifle. It should be ok!

I still wanna go Prairie Dog shooting!

"When Bruce Gray speaks, I STFU and take notes." - PD (05-10-06 22:27Hrs)
"da evil Count Glockula."-Para
--->Click here to see my photos!<---

Posts: 7291 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

I don't think it would be accurate enough for shots over 100 yards if that and yes imo its to much gun for those little critters. Confused

There is a guy on youtube that is hitting a 18" steel target at 1,000 yards with his 91/30. He was using hand loads if I remember right.

Posts: 6222 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S4Fl3180g

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42806 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I built a bull barrel 24 inch for prairie dog hunting. The difference between the 20 and the 24 won't be that noticeable in terms of accuracy as either will be fine, but the weight will be different. I like the heavier gun as the recoil doesn't take the scope off the target and you can watch the bullet hit through the scope when you are shooting longer distances. When I shoot my 22-250 I have to rely on a spotter since the recoil moves the gun and I can't see the bullet hit through the scope.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
Take the AR!

I use my AR's on ground squirrels mostly anymore. Ranges usually aren't too long <130m} but I've killed a LOT of them with bolt guns in many calibers, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, AR's.

We normally get out our deer and elk rifles as well. Nothing hones deer shooting skills like ground squirrels!

Even the .375 H&H gets some action!

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4604 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt so I'm curious what you do with Prarie dogs after you shoot them? Are they edible or do you just leave them for turkey vultures to consume.

Posts: 736 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I don't hunt so I'm curious what you do with Prarie dogs after you shoot them? Are they edible or do you just leave them for turkey vultures to consume.

Good question...what happened to the rest of that dog (pictured)? Ka-poof??

Posts: 2774 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:

Good question...what happened to the rest of that dog (pictured)? Ka-poof??

Prairie dogs {ie what's left of them} are left to naturally and organically fertilize the soil which in most places they are shot is deficient in prairie-dog rich nutrients.

For myself, I use ground squirrels {or what's left of them} retrieved by my buddy as bait to kill coyotes that are a threat to my livestock, and the carcasses of the coyotes I trap I use to catch more.

In the spirit of the Lion King..."The Circle of Life!!"

A good haul:

Say goodbye, stock killer...

Having said all that, after a long day of baitshooting, sometimes we have to just take a deep breath and relax....

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4604 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
quote:

PD colonies can be infected with bubonic plague disease, so it's advised (at least in our area) to leave them where they lie. Coyotes & hawks clean things up fairly quickly. More on the subject: http://source.colostate.edu/pl...ious-disease-spread/

---------------------

Posts: 1884 | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished the AR today. I ended up buying a Wilson Arms, 24" bull barrel, 1/8 twist, that had been given the salt-bath Nitride treatment. I'll post a pic or 2 when I get back to work. The optic is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5x21x50 on a 34mm tube. I used a LaRue MBT trigger.

posted Hide Post