SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ever see a stripped AR lower stamped 'rifle'?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever see a stripped AR lower stamped 'rifle'? Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
This was brought up by a family youngling (normally anyone under the age of 35 to me, but this one's a real twerp at 17). He asked me why a stripped lower couldn't be sold to anyone under the age of 21. I explained about the whole 'build it as a pistol' aspect but then he asked me if that would apply if the receiver was marked 'rifle'. I told him that receivers are typically never designated one way or the other so the question was moot.

But then later on I got to thinking: what IF there was a receiver maker stamping their serialized lower receivers specifically for rifle builds. Would those be legal for an 18-20 yr old to buy? With a bit of logic, it would seem a likely possibility but then I also considered the reality that I've never actually seen a receiver marked in that manner, including the few minutes spent searching the web with Google last night.

So...has anyone ever come across a lower marked 'rifle'? And could a 18-20er actually buy such a receiver?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Can't say in all of the years, seeing any thing like this. But there are some catches that could be applied or done.

1. When filling out your 4473, your FFL could check "rifle" though. I always have him check "other".

2. Or if a complete lower with stock (think psa specials) was purchased, only thing you could build is a Rifle. Then refer back to 1 above.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Can stripped lowers not be purchased by someone under 21? I've never heard that.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Can stripped lowers not be purchased by someone under 21? I've never heard that.

yep. gotta be 21 for a stripped lower.

I think manufacturers try to avoid stamping lowers with any specific marks like caliber or pistol/rifle unless you're buying a specialty or even novelty one that is specifically for a caliber or pattern of firearm (like a clone or something). i can't say I've seen one that says "rifle" off the top of my head, but those specificities are probably out there.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

Used to be able to be purchased by 18 year olds but then the ATF changed some rules a few years back and now you cannot.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Okay, so it's a newer thing, because I bought my first lower when I was 19 or 20.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Nuance: You need to be 21 to purchase a firearm, except you only need be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun.

Since a stripped receiver is neither a rifle nor a shotgun but IS a "firearm," 21.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Here in Maryland for a stripped lower you must be 21 years old. We have to do 77R form, Maryland State Police check with registration. Once purchase can only be built as a HBAR rifle or pistol not a M4 config. They have checked before, knocking on the door wanting to see the lower. It's the "Firearms Safety Act" of 2013 rules, Thanks to the Democrats in Annapolis. One of their knee-jerk reactions the bill was flawed but still passed into law "It's for the Children". Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
In most of the country it’s perfectly legal for an 18 year old to own a pistol, and can even buy one private party, just can’t buy one from a FFL until age 21. So an 18 year old can own an AR lower in most of the country just fine.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can buy a rifle in a neighboring state, but not a handgun. Recently while in another state, Cabelas wouldn't sell me a stripped receiver because it had the "potential" to built in to a rifle. I could have bought a complete AR and stripped it down to build a pistol, but I understood their policy on the receivers.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I could have bought a complete AR and stripped it down to build a pistol, but I understood their policy on the receivers.

You cannot build a pistol from a rifle.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have only seen "pistol" marked lowers, not rifle. I still have two stripped lowers transferred to me as rifles (years ago).

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter how it is marked.

ATF has decreed that since a lower hasn't yet been manufactured to meet the definition of a rifle, ie buttstock, 16" barrel and 26" oal, that it can still be manufactured to meet the definition of a pistol.

As such, it falls under the same requirements as a pistol. A dealer can only sell it to a person 21 or older.

However, federal law doesnt prohibit an 18 year old from buying or owning one. It also doesn't prohibit private citizens from selling one to an 18 year old.

It just prohibits dealers from selling them to anyone under 21.

State laws are a different matter.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
A few places around me will not sell an AR or other semi auto rifle excluding something like a 10/22 to anyone under 21.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter what it is stamped, pistol, rifle, etc.

It matters what it is.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Rhinowso says other than the original and required mfg. marks what's on the lower has no meaning. But how it originally got transferred can be an issue if it was before other.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I could have bought a complete AR and stripped it down to build a pistol, but I understood their policy on the receivers.

You cannot build a pistol from a rifle.

I'm fully aware of the law. My comment was meant to say that the law wouldn't have prevented me from getting a pistol if I really wanted one. It's just one more law that doesn't make any sense.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
Can't say in all of the years, seeing any thing like this. But there are some catches that could be applied or done.

1. When filling out your 4473, your FFL could check "rifle" though. I always have him check "other".

2. Or if a complete lower with stock (think psa specials) was purchased, only thing you could build is a Rifle. Then refer back to 1 above.

#1,

dealers don't do this,

if you do the dealer would be considered a manufacturer, and have to submit the 11% excise tax,

bad juju when the compliance inspections shows lowers (other) in the bound book and rifle on the 4473 for the same serial number,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never thought about it, but obviously with the cheap/easy availability of complete lowers, that is the way to go for an 18-20yo looking to "build" an AR.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strambo I think I am missing your point? No dealer is going to transfer a complete lower to anyone under 21, see the post above.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post