SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Son is cross dominant. Should I teach him to shoot LH?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son is cross dominant. Should I teach him to shoot LH? Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
By all means teach him to shoot long guns lefty if he is left eye dominant.
There are a heck of a lot more options for LH guns now than ever before. Dad should buy some more for himself ..err.. I mean for the kid.
Handguns it doesn't matter as it will come to his L eye anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by TampaSIG:
My daughter is cross dominant. I taught her to shoot right handed with left eye closed.

That might be an option...however, I **can't** close my left eye and have the other open so it isn't for me. Close my left eye and you might as well turn off the lights because both my eyes will be closed. With OP's son it may not be the same issue.
I shoot all guns with both eyes open but long guns belong on my left shoulder in line with my dominant eye.

With an optic it doesn't matter, the reticle is like an overlay on the target image with both open.
With iron sights, from my right shoulder there are two images of sights. I know which is which because I've been shooting for 50 years but the dominant eye image is, well...dominant.
(been that way since my vision was 20/10 in both eyes. It's not 20/10 this decade)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
My short answer is "yes". I would. At that age he is just learning. Should not be hard for him and it will serve him well to adapt to it now. My two cents.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I would say yes. I would do it before he has to “unlearn” anything.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post