SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    First time out with MPX
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time out with MPX Login/Join 
posted
Finally got to go out and shoot my MPX today for the first time. Was a little nervous from some of the horror stories that I have read on this forum about other's experiences. Thankfully everything went perfect.

Shot 50 rounds of Winchester FMJ 124 grain and 50 rounds of Federal FMJ 115 grain. Had 0 FTE and 0 FTF and the bolt locked fully back after the last round every time.

Had a blast out with it and can't wait to go back out to shot again.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 28, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Which version of the MPX?

I kept debating between an EVO and the MPX.

I ordered the MPX-P-9-KM 9MM 8" on Wednesday.

My dealer called yesterday and said it was in (That's fast!) I was already at work so I can't pick it up till Monday. I need to find some fingerprint cards so I can have a coworker print me. This will be my first post 41F form submission. I'll probably chop the barrel to 5" and rethread in 1/2x28.

The only ammo I have on hand to test is Freedom Munitions 147gr RNFMJ and Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP. I'm sure it will work fine.

Time to find some mags on sale...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I like SiG products but I don't have much confidence in them anymore.

I saw a few MPX pistols yesterday at our local show, prices ranged from $1250 to $1650 ... They were all still on the tables today. The guy that had one that was $1250 said they got their first one in 6 months ago or so, it sold in a few days so they ordered another and this is it ... Still here 6 months later. I also saw several vendors that had mags for $50 IIRC ... so maybe prices are coming down to earth.

I hope you continue to have the best of luck with yours, because I'd like to have one ...
The horror stories are one thing that keep me from buying one, the price of the weapon itself, the mags, stock and the accessories is the other because if I were to get one, it would be SBR'd ... I was looking at a Scorpion EVO and looked at all these things before for it as well.
I went with the EVO, number one because there were no horror stories, the weapon was half the price and it has actual combat behind it ... mags are $20 and the the 922r kit was $300 which was a $100 premium as they were/are hard to come by.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Hoping mine won't have too many issues. Mine was $1191 out the door with tax and transfer.
I am going to buy one gen1 mag to test before I spend money on mags. It was this or an EVO so since I've been on a SIG kick I decided to stay with SIG.
The two other SIGs I got this year have been flawless (1911 Ultra TT and 320F).

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Wow, $1191 OTD!

If I'd seen one at that price before I bought the EVO, I might have gone the other way as I've been on a SiG kick myself for about 10 years ... I had a 556 Russian carbine and a 522 carbine but let some go when I SBR'd a P522 and P556 7.62 Russian.

The P553 and P556 SBR's have XI lowers but I replaced the lower because I like the XI lowers better for the trigger guard, ambidextrous mag release ... and the SiG logo on the magwell!

Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
I've run about 200 rounds reloads (115 gr XTreme at 1265 FPS) thru mine with no problems (Gen 2 MPX,Gen 2 mags). Will not function very well with Gen 1 mags.

"Son, always take your paper to the woods" - my dad
NRA Endowment Life Member
3 Gun, PCC, IDPA, Bullseye Shooter

Posts: 315 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only had a chance to go to the range with my gen 2 MPX once, but through about 150 rounds using both 1st and 2nd gen magazines, I had zero issues.

I got rid of my scorpion when I traded for the MPX and I don't miss the scorpion for a second. The MPX is a softer shooter, better ergonomics, and better built.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the SKD Tactical MPX sliding brace.

Hated the folding bace, this one makes it one clean, simple unit. Which you can now shoulder Wink

I'm also waiting on a Geiselle trigger - put on their SD-3G trigger when it was "supported" and liked it...took it off once Geiselle changed their tune and put on my Colt 6720. Waiting on the "new" Geiselle triggers for MPX.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pistol/brace and carbine versions here, both Gen 2.

Pistol brace model was flawless from day one.

Carbine was tight when new, had problems with it not going fully into battery here and there, especially on full mags with weaker ammo like fiochi. After a couple hundred rounds and two cleaning cycles it will now run everything reliably.

Both function fine on G1 or G2 mags and are very accurate with seemingly all the bulk fmj ammo I can find.

Only thing I am really worried about at all at this point is the firing pin life. These guns are tons of fun on steel plates and are getting a lot of ammo ran through them...

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
The only thing wrong with the MPX is some of the idiots who own them. Don't believe it. Get on Face Book and join the Sig MPX Owners Group.

The biggest problem, every other person having issues has removed the factory trigger and put some other tactical trigger made for an AR15 in the gun. When a company like Geissle makes an MPX specific trigger, then knock yourself out. Until then, stay with the factory trigger and your issues will most likely be none.

I've had my MPX for 6-7 months. Zero problems. I put a 3 lug adapter on it and run it suppressed and non suppressed, no issues either way.

The biggest deterrent to MPX sales is the HUGE price increase.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have had like success with my Gen 2 MPX shooting 124 and 147 gr fmj and jhp through gen1 and gen2 magazines.

I did not know about all of the nightmare stories so I was not surprised at how well the MPX functioned, just pleased.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SKD Tactical MPX sliding brace. ????

Posts: 259 | Location: NW USA | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait what? horror stories? I know some suffered learning the trigger is not an AR. I haven't done it but I a timney (683) and a wilson around here to eventually try, but those being a mess I won't blame on the gun.
But I haven't heard anything seriously bad about the basic gun. And I have (I think 4 of them) shot the snot out of them without even the slightest hint of an issue.
So... other than the usual sig problem of parts I think the basic gun is sound.
I've EVO's as well. Mags cheap but have sent many back, trigger a nightmare...
When I want to seriously have a good score in the matches I shoot I get the MPX. When I don't care I shoot something else for fun.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Wait what? horror stories? I know some suffered learning the trigger is not an AR. I haven't done it but I a timney (683) and a wilson around here to eventually try, but those being a mess I won't blame on the gun.
But I haven't heard anything seriously bad about the basic gun. And I have (I think 4 of them) shot the snot out of them without even the slightest hint of an issue.
So... other than the usual sig problem of parts I think the basic gun is sound.
I've EVO's as well. Mags cheap but have sent many back, trigger a nightmare...
When I want to seriously have a good score in the matches I shoot I get the MPX. When I don't care I shoot something else for fun.
FWIW>

This was posted 3 years ago.
This is a stupidly old thread that got resurrected by mefly2 with some cryptic response.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks; I hate that old post resurrection thing!

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
So y'all better stay away from the Glock thread ... Razz

posted Hide Post
FlyingSCot recommended an SKD ??? brand of sliding brace. That is a brand of which I am not familiar - not as a civilian, military, or Law Enforcement. Sorry to offend the posting police, but I feel that I can respond to ANY posting ... and check your math - it was not "three years old" nor did I find it "stupidly old". I guess that I may be stupidly old and have been on her for over ten years, but ...
My apologies as I can see why you thought my response was cryptic IF you didn't read the previous posts.

Posts: 259 | Location: NW USA | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I shot a full auto MPX last week. It was nice but SIG's reputation regarding long gun support concerns me. Good luck with yours.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mefly2:
FlyingSCot recommended an SKD ??? brand of sliding brace. That is a brand of which I am not familiar - not as a civilian, military, or Law Enforcement. Sorry to offend the posting police, but I feel that I can respond to ANY posting ... and check your math - it was not "three years old" nor did I find it "stupidly old". I guess that I may be stupidly old and have been on her for over ten years, but ...
My apologies as I can see why you thought my response was cryptic IF you didn't read the previous posts.

Often, posters ressurect old threads with mundane simplistic unhelpful comments such as "nice gun" or "great pic", or "cool"...and in some cases resurrect an old thread simply to add an emoji response such as Smile or Cool

Ressurecting old forum posts is generally considered "poor form" or bad forum etiquette... unless you are adding pertinent relevant information to the topic being discussed or answering an important question that had been long ago left unanswered. If you are going to ask a question regarding a comment that was made long ago, it is best to at least note at the beginning of your post that you are resurrecting an old thread and then clearly and directly ask your question.

quote:
Originally posted by mefly2:
SKD Tactical MPX sliding brace. ????

While you may have added question marks to your comment I wouldn't call that a clear direct question for specific info or details.

Although I generally try to avoid resurrecting old threads, sometimes I have new information to post to the topic or have additional questions. IF I decide to resurrect an old thread I make sure to post an apology for doing so at the beginning and explaining my reason for doing so, to hopefully avoid any confusion such as what occurred in this thread.

Having said all this, unfortunately some who read threads don't pay attention to relevant details such as post dates.

Best general forum advice is to do what you can to avoid causing others confusion in a thread.

I have no experience with the product but I would assume the reference is to https://www.skdtac.com

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
SB Tactical https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/mpx-psb/

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post