SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    LGS Find (VZ52)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LGS Find (VZ52) Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
I'm a sucker for anything Czech/milsurp, and this fit the bill. Got a call from the store and I went down to give it a look.

Its a Czech M52/VZ52. I've been on the lookout for one for a while but never found one for the right price or decent enough shape. Came with an extra mag and a couple hundred rounds of 7.62x45. It's not in perfect shape but quite nice for it's age. No import marks that I can find. Rifling is very strong and no corrosive pitting to be found (I don't think non-corrosive 7.62x45 exists). Excited to shoot it, but probably won't run too many rounds. Cool caliber but not very common. Anyone else own one?

When in doubt, pinky out.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, but it's definitely been on my "that would be cool to own" list for a while. Hasn't anyone ever geared up to make brass?

Posts: 19645 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Yep, mine was a complete factory refurb, with new barrel, and plumb bolt. No import stamp too. Sold it last year, never even fired it, but wow what a great rifle, with an interesting mechanism.

Posts: 1892 | Location: W PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, have had one for a while. IIRC, it ejects to the left.
Many of those imported got the stocks coated with bedoliner to hide cracks, etc. It's nice to find one that hasn't been so treated. OP's looks like it might have been coated and then cleaned up.

There was onlly one other firearm that ever used the same ammo, a light machine gun. The ammo is filthy as heck.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 15416 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle. Used to see them more often, not so much anymore.

My wife and I did a Viking River cruise in December. First stop - Prague. While there we toured the Presidents Palace and I noted the rifle the Guards carried. VZ52, naturally. Missed the chance to tour the factory at Brno. Wish I had planned a little better.

Nice find.

Posts: 867 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought mine back when Ohio Guns(?) was selling them for about $225(?). Never fooled with the Czech surplus ammo since the supply (and quality) has always been pretty "iffy".

Bought a couple of hundred new .220 Swift brass along with case forming and reloading dies from RCBS, You have to turn the rim to 0.441" diameter, cut a new extractor groove and anneal the case; so it's kind of a PITA! See see J.J. Donnelly"s "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" for more info.

I did wind up with a source of nice clean non-corrosive ammo. A 130 gr. spire point over 32.4 gr. of IMR3031 works well.

And no, I don't care to get into custom brass business.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Portson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 981 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by Andyb:
Anyone else own one?

I have had two and still have one.
Have around 1400 rounds of surplus ammo but it is all corrosive.
Also have RCBS reloading dies but not certain if they are still made.

If that long line on the the left side of the stock is a crack (check carefully) make certain that it has been properly repaired BEFORE shooting the rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
No, but it's definitely been on my "that would be cool to own" list for a while. Hasn't anyone ever geared up to make brass?

Not cheap but available:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/762...157820.aspx?CAT=3842

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve

Posts: 2034 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one with Granada capture papers. I was able to get a couple of spare mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo at the same time. Take down and through cleaning is an all day job. I did it once and don't intend to do it again.

Posts: 89 | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost bought one from a small gun shop in Hattiesburg, MS, cool rifle, price was right but I passed because of the difficulty getting ammo.

Posts: 731 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
I bought mine back when Ohio Guns(?) was selling them for about $225(?). Never fooled with the Czech surplus ammo since the supply (and quality) has always been pretty "iffy".

Bought a couple of hundred new .220 Swift brass along with case forming and reloading dies from RCBS, You have to turn the rim to 0.441" diameter, cut a new extractor groove and anneal the case; so it's kind of a PITA! See see J.J. Donnelly"s "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" for more info.

I did wind up with a source of nice clean non-corrosive ammo. A 130 gr. spire point over 32.4 gr. of IMR3031 works well.

And no, I don't care to get into custom brass business.

Why not just buy surplus ammo and take it apart for the cases? Or is it steel case?

Posts: 1509 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Why not just buy surplus ammo and take it apart for the cases? Or is it steel case?

Some are steel and some are brass. But the surplus 7.62x45 ammo uses a corrosive Berdan primer. Removing and reloading Berdan primers is troublesome, if you can even find the correct new production Berdan primers to use. Or, you can try to convert the cases to Boxer primers, which removes the challenge of finding Berdan primers, but adds even more inconvenience to the process.

Even though it's a pain in the butt, it's actually the easier solution to make your own Boxer-primed brass from something like 6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, .35 Remington, or .220 Swift.

Posts: 17692 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Ah, forgot about Berdan priming. That makes since. Thanks for the explanation!

Posts: 1509 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post