SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Gun scale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun scale Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
What scales do you folks use for weighing your guns?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
why would you weigh your gun??

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To see how much it weighs?

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use a regular postage scale that I bought at Harbor Freight.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I use this one .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use a normal scale you weight yourself on. First, weight yourself. Second, weight yourself holding your gun. Next, subtract the first weight from the second. That is the weight of your gun. Smile

Posts: 22 | Registered: January 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I use a kitchen scale, similar to the one Grumpybiker posted up.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends how accurately you need to weight the rifle. If it's for competition purposes with specifications, I suggest looking at something from Old Will Knots. Something that will handle the weight that you're considering.

For instance in F-class, your rifle has some very specific guidelines to meet when it comes to overall weight, so I purchased a certified scale that could go to 50lbs.

The last thing you want to do is build a rifle and then take it to a state or national, or worse yet a world competition and find out it weighs too much. I have seen people do strange things to stocks when this occurs. And it does.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
To see how much it weighs?

hehe

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, I get why Nikon might weigh a gun...but why do you need to know and what gun is it...

Typically the maker has a website that lists all the pertinent particulars....

unless you made your own franken-AR..there might be questions...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Confused

Why ask why? All that matters is that someone wants to weigh a gun. The reasons are totally immaterial. This is a perfect example of, “It’s not something I am interested in doing, so it’s stupid.” Shooters in particular should keep in mind that people who aren’t shooters believe that almost everything we do is stupid.

I personally got interested in weighing guns and various parts after reading claims that some people could detect the difference in handling caused by an ounce or two of weight variance in two-pound guns (and no, I don’t believe such claims). And because I started doing that I found that factory data is often incorrect.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I use a digital luggage scale. Just hook it through the trigger guard, and you're done. They're usually accurate to 1/10th of a pound.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I use a digital luggage scale. Just hook it through the trigger guard, and you're done. They're usually accurate to 1/10th of a pound.

Thanks for mentioning this.
My lab scale is very accurate but only useful for pistols & smaller items.
Your luggage scale statement sent me looking.
Found one I can hang from my pull-up station & weight all my ARs.
Especially the ones I put together for folks.
They always ask & my old hanging scale was proving very inaccurate.
Got two day shipping on this for less than $25 on Amazon !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
With regards to the "why?" question...

Mostly just idle curiosity.
Sure the manufacturers list the weight of a rifle on a specs page - but that's before I get my hands on it and start adding shit (scopes.... lights... cruise missiles.. etc)

I'm just curious what the end result weighs after all is said and done.
Sadly it's not as simple as: "default rifle weight + scope weight + rings weight" because sometimes the stock stuff gets pulled off and replaced with different items.
My Scar16 is barely recognizable as a Scar anymore.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
With regards to the "why?" question...

Mostly just idle curiosity.
Sure the manufacturers list the weight of a rifle on a specs page

And the manufacturers' sites are not even close sometimes, even with SIG. They list my P220-10mm as 39.4oz (presumably with no mag), while it actually weighs very close to 42 oz with no mag, and 44.6 oz with an empty mag.

A good quality line of analog scales, which can also be used for trigger pull weights, is Pesola. They operate like a fish scale, or the luggage scale, with a spring, but are highly accurate within a limited range. I have used them as postal scales, as well as trigger scales, as well as checking bearing preload on LandCruiser front wheel bearings (different models, of course).

https://www.pesola.com/e/  

Forestry Suppliers is a major vendor in this county, but I am sure there are others.

My "goto" scale is an Ohaus Valor 1000 (V11P3 model) digital platform scale. It supports up to 3kg, and reads to an accuracy of .5gm. It is a great general purpose scale.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tiburon91:
Just use a normal scale you weight yourself on. First, weight yourself. Second, weight yourself holding your gun. Next, subtract the first weight from the second. That is the weight of your gun. Smile

That is what I do. Smile

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do the cooking in our house and the food scale works very well for my guns. (Don't let the wife watch.)

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electronic kitchen scale has worked well in the past for mushrooms or hand guns

Many years ago I stopped by the grocery store and weighed a hand gun and individual magazines on the meat scale

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
I use a postage scale I got off Amazon. Use that thing all the time for weighing guns or gun stuff. Really helpful to have. Used it last night in fact to tune the buffer weight on my 9mm AR buffer.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My new hanging scale arrived today!!!
I'm sure I'll be annoying my wife , running around weighing things for no reason !

YHM 300blk pistol

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%