SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    American Rifleman: "The T3 Carbine: First NVG-Equipped Fighting Rifle"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Rifleman: "The T3 Carbine: First NVG-Equipped Fighting Rifle" Login/Join 
posted
https://www.americanrifleman.o...pped-fighting-rifle/

The article has a history of the primitive night vision scopes associated with the M1 Carbine, but it also mentions the WWII German Army’s use of the IR sight nicknamed Vampire.

Stephen Hunter used both as major “props” in two fine books. In “Black Light,” Bob Lee Swagger searches the past to reveal who killed his State Trooper dad Earl circa 1955 using one of these devices on a T3 Carbine:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-L...003YJEZO6/ref=sr_1_5

In “The Master Sniper” (not featuring any of the Swagger family), a WWII US Army officer hunts for a German sniper carrying a Vampir scope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...hsch_vapi_taft_p2_i3

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Germans had been developing infrared night vision optics since the 1930s, and eventually employed primitive infrared night vision scopes at the tail end of WW2, though the technology was still in field trials when the war ended and was never very widespread.

The Zielgerät 1229 "Vampir" scope was used on the MP44. It consisted of an IR illuminator paired with an IR scope, powered by a large battery pack carried on the soldier's back. A few hundred were produced and fielded in the final months of the war.

A larger version, the Fahrgerät 1250, was used on Panther tanks:

As well as on Sd.Kfz. 251 halftracks:

They also fitted some Sd.Kfz. 251 halftracks with even larger IR spotlights, for use as longer-ranged spotters/illuminators in conjunction with the two above vehicles:

And they had experimented with equipping some Marder II self-propelled anti-tank guns with ZG 1221 infrared optics:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting RogueJSK! I knew about the Vampir but was not aware they adapted some versions to vehicles. I learned something! lol

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
Thanks for posting RogueJSK!

Yes, as always, and thanks to Sigmund for the original.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Brits had also experimented with mounting IR optics on rifles during WW2, but it never made it out of the testing phase. Here's an early IR illuminator and scope attached to a Sten Gun:

The Soviets likewise experimented with IR optics during WW2, although I can't find any evidence of them attaching them to guns. They were primarily interested in IR optics to allow their tanks to drive at night, and had this interesting experimental setup rigged to a BT-7 tank, with IR headlights and an IR periscope headset:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1989 a good friend showed up at my house with a wooden box. He knew I was an electronics tech and asked if I could "get something working" for him. Out of the box he pulled out an IR sighting system as shown in the AR article above.
A little wiring and wizardry later I had it functioning, but it needed more work and the project fell to the wayside in favor of life and we both forgot about it. After his death years later I remembered I still had the damn thing!
It's the model shown in the pic below:

Mine was made in 1952. I've thought about selling it but coming up with a value has been difficult.
It's a super-cool piece of military history though!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a later M3 carbine, which was the formally adopted and standardized Korean War-era version of the earlier experimental T3 carbine discussed in the OP's article. It was used not only by US forces in Korea, but also by Australian forces too:

The earlier experimental T3 was slightly different from its later standardized M3 iteration. Here's a T3:

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

Thanks for posting all of those.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakota Slim:
In 1989 a good friend showed up at my house with a wooden box. He knew I was an electronics tech and asked if I could "get something working" for him. Out of the box he pulled out an IR sighting system as shown in the AR article above.
A little wiring and wizardry later I had it functioning, but it needed more work and the project fell to the wayside in favor of life and we both forgot about it. After his death years later I remembered I still had the damn thing!

Mine was made in 1952. I've thought about selling it but coming up with a value has been difficult.

sold a couple over the years, and always a slow sell,

last one I sold was maybe 5 yrs ago, complete less rifle (basically a box like you have in the pic)

no idea if it worked, and wanna say we got $600 for it,

it did have the mount in the box,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakota Slim:

sold a couple over the years, and always a slow sell,

last one I sold was maybe 5 yrs ago, complete less rifle (basically a box like you have in the pic)

no idea if it worked, and wanna say we got $600 for it,

it did have the mount in the box,

Appreciate the info! Thanks!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post