SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How often do you change your AR-15 gas rings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you change your AR-15 gas rings Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
How many rounds do you guys normally go through before changing the gas rings on the bolt?

I have less than 3k through my MK18 SBR. I just tried the table test with the bcg and it didn't hold.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
if you're testing them and the bolt closes on itself, yeah, go ahead and replace them. They're cheap, I keep a bag of them in the spares kit. But otherwise there's no real "recommended interval" that I've ever seen.

Not everyone thinks the table test is valid. Colt has a different process:
Check bolt assembly for proper fit with bolt cam pin removed. Turn key and bolt carrier assembly and suspend the carrier so the bolt assembly is pointed down. The bolt assembly must not drop out. If weight of bolt assembly allows it to drop out of key and bolt carrier assembly, replace bolt rings.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
If weight of bolt assembly allows it to drop out of key and bolt carrier assembly, replace bolt rings.

That has always seemed like a reasonable test to me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I test the BCG every time I clean the rifle.

If I can extend the bolt to the outermost position (when the BCG is assembled) and stand the BCG on the bolt, without the BCG collapsing back down on itself, then the gas rings are still good.

I know some prefer just pulling the bolt out setting the BCG on its tail and seeing if the bolt falls back down into the body, but the carrier weighs more than the bolt. If the gas rings can hold the carrier up, then there's plenty of tension still there.

I keep both 1 piece and three piece gas rings around. Just accumulated both over time.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You test the gas rings using the weight of the bolt, not the weight of the carrier. An AR will run with all three ring gaps aligned, or with just two rings.

Per the TM 9-1005-319-23&P.

4. Check bolt assembly (5) for proper fit with bolt
cam pin removed. Turn key and bolt carrier
assembly (6) and suspend so the bolt assembly
is pointed down.

NOTE:
The bolt assembly must not drop out. If
weight of bolt assembly allows it to drop out
of key and bolt carrier assembly, replace bolt
rings (p 3-21).

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
A touch of lube on the gas rings and they just keep on keepin on. I have not replaced a set yet on several carbines and varmint rifles. We assembled a really nicely appointed varmint rifle for a buddy. No lube, he destroyed them in 500-600 rounds. Never seen this happen before, but this guy just has the knack Roll Eyes

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
You test the gas rings using the weight of the bolt, not the weight of the carrier. An AR will run with all three ring gaps aligned, or with just two rings.

I know that's the way the military does, it, but as I stated previously, the weight of the carrier exceeds the weight of the bolt, so if the gas rings can hold the carrier, they can hold the bolt.

If they cannot hold the carrier, they're starting to get marginal and I replace them. Gas rings are cheap, failures are not.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to replace mine last year in my duty Colt Commando. Round count was at least 4,000.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’ve had them last thousands and thousands of rounds and as little as 250 rounds. I keep spares.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Anyone try the one piece gas ring? Looks like it would be a big pain installing.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Anyone try the one piece gas ring? Looks like it would be a big pain installing.

They are a little more difficult to install than 3 single rings, but I think the one-piece rings are better. All my rifles now have one-piece rings. I also find that one-piece rings last longer.

I attended a couple of carbine courses from Rifles Only a number of years ago. Some of using an AR-15 is understanding what is lore and what is reality. Some things related to rings:
-- Single rings don't need to have the notches offset. They get jumbled around every time the gun is cycled.
-- Many rifles can cycle flawlessly with only 1 or 2 single rings on the bolt. Suppressed or unsuppressed, energetic or bunny-fart ammo, hot or cold, super clean through somewhat dirty.

I don't get all that excited about rings anymore. I swapped out single rings at 2,000 to 3,000 rounds. Some of my one-piece rings are at 4,000 rounds without issues. One of my one-piece rings are loose enough that they don't pass "the test" when the BCG has just been cleaned and lubed. It's my most accurate rifle and it has never failed to cycle.

One of my one-piece rings is really tight, and could hold the weight of multiple BCGs in "the test". It is a very accurate rifle and it has never failed to cycle.

But rings are cheap and easy to replace. If you don't feel comfy with them, replace them.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my ARs and spare bolts have the McFarland one piece ring. It's one of the things I do to all my AR bolts.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Gas rings are cheap, failures are not.

Pretty much this.

Spend an extra $3 the next order from Midwest, Brownells, LaRue, Bravo Co, Palmetto... or whoever you regularly order from and get a handful of rings.

Better yet, spend $20 - $30 and get rings, a firing pin, extractor, 2-3 extractor pins, bolt cam pin, 3-4 take-down pins.... Toss this in an old prescription container and put it in your cleaning kit. It's money well spent. You, or one of your shooting buddy's will be thanking us in less than a year.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Better yet, spend $20 - $30 and get rings, a firing pin, extractor, 2-3 extractor pins, bolt cam pin, 3-4 take-down pins.... Toss this in an old prescription container and put it in your cleaning kit. It's money well spent. You, or one of your shooting buddy's will be thanking us in less than a year.
This and more. I have a full, complete BCG in my small kit, along with everything you mention and a bit more. It allows a number of remedies - if you want and have the time to tinker, you can do that and replace individual parts. If you don't or just want to keep shooting, swap the whole BCG and carry on, I can do that too.

AR parts, along with some G19 parts fit in a tiny, thin plano case which takes up minimal space in the range bag.

I have a separate one with similar stuff for the SCAR 16/17.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post