SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    RDS that do not suffer from the starburst effect....for those that have this issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RDS that do not suffer from the starburst effect....for those that have this issue Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
So my eyes have decided to get old over the last year.....it sucks. Besides not being able to clearly see my pistol front sights my RDS are starting to show starbursts. This makes zeroing them at 50 a true pain.

My trijicon is fine and even my cheapo vortex is not as bad as my H1 and the new Sig 3 I picked up for a pistol I just built.

Which RDS do not have this issue.....specically I am wondering about the Leupold vx6.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
dewhorse,

I have very high astigmatism in both eyes, and as such any concentrated source of bright light (e.g. RDS dot, illuminated dot in a magnified optic, traffic lights at night, etc) causes a starburst effect of varying degrees. The brighter and more concentrated the source of light, the worse it is. This occurs even when my Rx completely fixes my astigmatism.

That's why I went with a Trijicon TR25 1-6X with a red triangle reticle. It's nearly RDS-speed on 1X and I get 6X capability. The other plus is that the red triangle is nice and clear. And, I'm not worried at all about the typical concerns about fiber optic illumination. Shooting from a dark area into a light area, or in a dark room using a flashlight, I have a nice crisp clear black triangle. Put it on target and pull trigger.

I'm curious... what Trijicon RDS do you have that does not exhibit the starburst effect?

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Sorry not a RDS....TR24, I agree it is almost RDS quick.

Looks like I need to go with Trijicon or EoTech.

Are there others? I was hping to find a mid range 1x8 and 1x6 in the near future....I was looking at the Burris 1x8 and Leupold VX6.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of things you can do to minimize the effect with any red dot optic.

First, if you can, move the dot farther away from your eye; if it's a 1x optic, move it as far forward as you reasonably can. This will reduce the flare, and make the dot smaller relative to your target, enhancing precision.

Second, reduce intensity of the dot to the minimum you need to see it clearly. The less intensity, the less flaring.

Third, make sure the glass surfaces of the optic are clean.

Fourth, outside in bright weather, wear polarized glasses. They will filter some of the off axis rays that contribute to the flaring.

Other than that, your options are limited to going with an illuminated reticle like the Trijicon triangle, or the Burris AR 332, where you aren't dealing with a projected dot, rather you are looking at either a fiber optic element, or an etching on the lenses that is lit.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was hping to find a mid range 1x8 and 1x6 in the near future....I was looking at the Burris 1x8 and Leupold VX6.

SIG Tango6 or the comparable Vortex?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In addition to the excellent advice by ArtieS, try looking at the dot without protective glasses. If it’s clearer without them, a higher quality or different pair may help.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
And, viewing the red dot through the aperture of an absolute co-witnessed rear BUIS can really sharpen it up.

You might have to use the smaller aperture and vary the distances among eye/aperture sight/ red dot.

Starburst is OK for up close/fast sight pictures; flip up the rear BUIS for more precision at distance.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Sorry not a RDS....TR24, I agree it is almost RDS quick.

Looks like I need to go with Trijicon or EoTech.

Are there others? I was hping to find a mid range 1x8 and 1x6 in the near future....I was looking at the Burris 1x8 and Leupold VX6.

The EoTech is the worst for me, my MRO is usable, but it is not a crisp dot.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
The EoTech is the worst for me

Which EoTech are you using? The EoTechs I'm familiar with are not a true red dot and thus don't have any flair at all for those of us with an astigmatism.

I'm envious of folks who look at red dots and see a clean red dot. I see a bunch of grapes.

OP, I've not found any red dots that work for me. I've just learned to deal with the starburst, or buy a non-reddot optic.

As for zeroing, I have my buddies zero my red dots at 50. It's darn near impossible for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Wow...thanks, lots of good data

I was wondering why at normal HD distances, max 10m, the dots looked fine but at the range I get the starburst.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
In addition to the excellent advice by ArtieS, try looking at the dot without protective glasses. If it’s clearer without them, a higher quality or different pair may help.

Looking through the flippy-up rear co-witness sight...this does work...

My eyes suck...on a descending scale on RDS...

5MOA dot TruGlo...

2MOA Vortex Strikefire...

2MOA Sig Romeo5 (pretty much tied with the Vortex which I accept with my shitty old eyes but works at the close ranges for which I use them)...

#1...Vortex Spitfire 1X power prismatic circle and dot (way better for me than the EOTECH reticle (emphasis on ME)...this is my favorite "can't see for shit" illuminated optic (I'm sure the PA Optics version is one and the same or just as good)...

Welcome to the world of old shitty eyes Big Grin...

At 10 meters...put the center mass of your target in the center of your optic and press the trigger 20+ times...they are pretty much fucked and will not be around to argue Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^

Just tried the trick with using the backup rear peep sight and WOW that made a world of difference. I’m young-ish but have needed glasses my whole life. While the starburst isn’t terrible as long as I adjust intensity for light conditions the above trick for more precise shooting should really help! Thanks Bisleyblackhawk for the pro level life hack!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If you are really having trouble with a RDS, ditch it and go to a low powered variable. Adjustable diopter will allow you to focus the reticle to your vision.

I have often contended that a 1-4x or 1-6x has no downside over a red dot except for weight, and perhaps cost.

I am just a gamer.

It was gratifying to see a guy like Kyle Defoor who is former special forces and now makes a living training people how to shoot rifles quickly, said basically the same thing.

Vortex Strike Eagle can be found for around $300.

Burris MTAC is similar.

Steiner P4xi is available for around $450 -$600 depending on if you catch it on sale.

Vortex PST Gen2 1-6 is about $650

Vortex Razor 1-6 is $1000-$1200.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can, try looking through an etched reticle red dot like the Vortex Spitfire.

Posts: 12582 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2risky
posted Hide Post
Obviously you aren't the only one with that issue. The worst for me seems to be the EoTechs. Aimpoint is better. Some of the variable power optics even better.

However, for true RDS, I've found the Sig Romeo 4 to work well (better than the EoTech). As suggested by others, don't mount it all the way back. I haven't tried the Vortex ones so I can't comment on those. Under normal use circumstances (non magnified) the Romeo works very well. Good luck.

Posts: 658 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
As several others have mentioned, try the Vortex Spitfire Prism scope.
My older eyes don't let me use red dots either. I have wasted a lot of money trying to find one that worked. Then my LGS recommended to me the Vortex Spitfire, I now own several of them.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My astigmatism, even corrected, plays hell with red dots. Aimpoints are useable, but not precision. EoTechs worked better for me, but then there was that whole reliability issue. Smaller, dimmer dots work better for me than larger bright dots. Looking at the dot through a rear sight also helps. For me, RDS is great as a Minute of Bad Guy sight, but I wouldn't want to try to take a precision shot at 200 with one. I'd actually do better with irons.

If you want to know if its the sight or your eyes, try this. Rotate the optic while looking through it. if the starburst rotates, it's the optic. If it doesn't (which it probably won't) it's you.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I always thought Eotech were the worst for me until I picked up a Vortex Huey - that thing is completely unusable for my eyes. I get the smeared red dot with an Aimpoint or any RDS really. I have resigned myself to ACOG's for a clear recital. I may do a LPV on the next one, so I am looking at the Trijicon 1-6 but need to shoot with one to be sure. They are also on the lower end of the weight scale for a LPV.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
If you know someone with a Vortex MRDS have a look at it and see if it's sharper for you. I have two RMRs and a Burris FFII and the dot on the Vortex I just tried was exceptionally crisp and round by comparison. Not sure if that will help with your particular issue but you might try it.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive had good luck (better than a weird crescent but far from perfect) with the Sig Romeo 4H. The true answer is to have it corrected or use an etched reticle. Have you tried something like a PA cyclops 1x or the like with an etched 1x reticle? I tried the Vortex Spitfire and it had a weird negative magnification where it looked like I was farther away, not recommended.

I did like the Leupold CQT which is etched and appeared very crisp at the cost of a huge freakin optic. Thats 2003 tech though. Look for etched 1x and you should see a big improvement.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post