SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A Loaded ---option to buy. Home with photo added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
M1A Loaded ---option to buy. Home with photo added Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
So my neighbor has an M1A "Loaded" for sale. comes with the nylon case and 10 round magazine. This is the walnut stock.

He is asking $2000..... MSRP is showing $1962.00 on Springfield's web site.

I am thinking about offering $1500.00.. but want to make sure this is a fair offer as I don't want to cheat anyone. There is room in my safe for this.


Would $1500.00 be a fair offer for this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lizardman_u,


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3290 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I would think that would be a fair offer normally, but don’t know if the current panic and shortage situation would drive that price up a bit.

I bought a brand new loaded M1a during the promotional period within the last year and received a scope mount, a $150 value and a spare magazine or two for free, all for about $1850 out the door. Decided the old eyes just aren’t up to the task of shooting open sights anymore so I installed the scope mount and installed a Leupold VX-3i scope on it just recently and it is a real tack driver, at least relative to my ability to shoot. Once I dialed in the scope I put my last 4 rounds in the bull, with only 1 touching the ring at 50 yards (the longest range available at the indoor range I was shooting at). It is a hell of a rifle, but I think $2k is a bit steep.
 
Posts: 2355 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I would think that would be a fair offer normally, but don’t know if the current panic and shortage situation would drive that price up a bit.

I bought a brand new loaded M1a during the promotional period within the last year and received a scope mount, a $150 value and a spare magazine or two for free, all for about $1850 out the door. Decided the old eyes just aren’t up to the task of shooting open sights anymore so I installed the scope mount and installed a Leupold VX-3i scope on it just recently and it is a real tack driver, at least relative to my ability to shoot. Once I dialed in the scope I put my last 4 rounds in the bull, with only 1 touching the ring at 50 yards (the longest range available at the indoor range I was shooting at). It is a hell of a rifle, but I think $2k is a bit steep.


Thank you for that well thought out answer. It truly is appreciated.


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3290 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I would think that would be a fair offer normally, but don’t know if the current panic and shortage situation would drive that price up a bit.

I bought a brand new loaded M1a during the promotional period within the last year and received a scope mount, a $150 value and a spare magazine or two for free, all for about $1850 out the door. Decided the old eyes just aren’t up to the task of shooting open sights anymore so I installed the scope mount and installed a Leupold VX-3i scope on it just recently and it is a real tack driver, at least relative to my ability to shoot. Once I dialed in the scope I put my last 4 rounds in the bull, with only 1 touching the ring at 50 yards (the longest range available at the indoor range I was shooting at). It is a hell of a rifle, but I think $2k is a bit steep.


Thank you for that well thought out answer. It truly is appreciated.


You are very welcome. It is a tough task trying to discern the value of a firearm for someone else, especially in these crazy times!! I hope I gave you some valuable information. I guess all I can do is offer you my own recent experiences. My local Sportsman’s Warehouse happened to get one in stock with a beautiful chunk of wood and the timing was just right for me, especially with the yearly promotion going on.
 
Posts: 2355 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
In any normal timeframe, $1,500 is a fair offer for a like-new M1A loaded. During a scamdemic/election year, the $2,000 price may or may not be fair. It depends on supply and demand.

Tony.


Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-01 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
 
Posts: 4292 | Location: USA | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Way high. Look for a quality AR-10 before you spend $2k on an M1A.
 
Posts: 2242 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Thought 1: What condition is it in?

Thought 2: If you really want something now, in the current market frenzy, then list prices, old market prices, and what someone else paid back when, are 100% irrelevant. I'd look at current online auction sites sold-prices and 'buy it now' prices for similar-condition offerings to get a sense of today's market.

Thought 3: offering 75% is what a some might call a 'lowball' offer. Maybe your relationship with the neighbor is strong enough to overcome the emotions associated with that. But, some folks get in a snit when they get what they consider a lowball offer, and if your neighbor happens to be one of them, you could wind up with no chance to raise the offer and damage the relationship into the bargain.

Thought 4: If your thorough research of current market prices (see Thought 2) leads you to think that something less than asking price would be fair, I would suggest you consider sharing that data with your neighbor before making an offer, and seeing what they say before you come up with an offer.

Good luck. I have a 'Springfield loaded' and am looking forward to taking it out to the range someday soon. Hoping it'll be a great shooter.
 
Posts: 13520 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Search Gun Broker for completed sales (not listings) in the last few months. You'll see what people actually pay for these. That is the best measure.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 49345 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
thank you all for some great input.


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3290 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
what vintage is the M1A,

earlier ones bring a premium, sometimes, since they tend to have more GI parts in them


FWIW, I sold a practically new 'precision model' or whatever they called it a few months ago, ~$1500, (this is the model with the factory Archangel stock, and the stock is marked SA)

I've also sold a few M1A's that were early guns (80's or so) with mostly GI parts in the $1800 range,



www.chesterfieldarmament.com
 
Posts: 8791 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Does it have the walnut stock or that shit plastic one?
 
Posts: 3180 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Does it have the walnut stock or that shit plastic one?


Walnut.


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3290 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I dunno if I’d give him 2k for it but having the walnut stock makes it worth a wee bit more, but not much. If I were you I’d just cool it and ride this gun rush out and wait for all the deals when things calm down. I’ve thought about selling my loaded model but I just love it too much
 
Posts: 3180 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Thought 3: offering 75% is what a some might call a 'lowball' offer. Maybe your relationship with the neighbor is strong enough to overcome the emotions associated with that. But, some folks get in a snit when they get what they consider a lowball offer, and if your neighbor happens to be one of them, you could wind up with no chance to raise the offer and damage the relationship into the bargain.


I have two neighbors who no longer talk because of this exact scenario.


______________________________________________
"It's good for you, because it's got chia seeds and mayonnaise!"
 
Posts: 12450 | Location: Seattle-ish | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Well I made the offer of $1500.00, and he came back with $1800.00.

I asked if he will pay the $40.00 transfer and background check fee ($30.00 transfer $10.00 background check).

So I will pick this up later this week.


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3290 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Ya done good!! Wink


Airborne ! All the Way!!
 
Posts: 900 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Went to do the transfer today in order to comply with Oregon's unconstitutional law.

For some reason I got delayed.

Funny thing is due to having a CHL I went from 1500 up to number two in the queue.

So in a couple three days I should be able to pick up the M1A.

She is a beauty, nylon case (factory), Walnut stock (no blemishes).


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3290 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have wanted one for a long time. Unfortunately with the political climate and prices, it will be on my dream list. Nice score.
 
Posts: 5469 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think 1800 for a new loaded is fair. My LGS has a used scout on the wall for over a month at 1500 and I’m surprised it hasn’t moved in this market. They also had a used socom 2 at 2100 and it sold in 2 days. Add in nearly 10% sales tax in CA even on consignment guns and 1800 no tax starts to look very reasonable to me.
 
Posts: 3652 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd say you did good. Local place has a Standard for $1399 and a Scout Squad for $1799. Both new with black synthetic stocks...I'd much rather have the walnut. I've been lusting after that scout squad, but I can't afford it.
 
Posts: 4134 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A Loaded ---option to buy. Home with photo added

© SIGforum 2021