SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Educate me on AR pistols vs. SBRs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on AR pistols vs. SBRs Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
Wasn’t sure whether this belongs in the rifle or pistol section as I suppose it applies to both, so I put it here (mods please move if needed).

I was reading an article about Ruger’s new AR pistol. I believe it said it comes with a 10.5” barrel. My question is, how does this not run afoul of the barrel length restrictions for rifles? I know it’s sold as a “pistol” but to me I can’t tell the difference between it and a SBR.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious but what?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
You are missing the pistol brace. If it had a shoulder stock, it would be an SBR.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
An SBR has a shoulder stock, requires an ATF approval and paperwork. A SBR can also mount a front vertical grip.

A "pistol" AR is listed as a "pistol", has an arm brace that can double as a shoulder stock (according to current ATF rules). It does not require ATF approval or paperwork and is treated as a pistol. It cannot have a front vertical grip but it can have a hand stop or Magpul AFG. Most of the current "arm braces" look like stocks. It is well worth it just not having to go through the ATF SBR approval process and then having paperwork with the gun every time you take it out.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
You are missing the pistol brace. If it had a shoulder stock, it would be an SBR.

Makes sense, but the article I was reading the pistol has a stock. In fact the author added a folding adapter to it so the total length was around 24”. it looks like the pistol comes with a stock.

Here’s the article I read:

Pew pew tactical

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
that's not a stock
that's a brace.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Makes sense, but the article I was reading the pistol has a stock. In fact the author added a folding adapter to it so the total length was around 24”. it looks like the pistol comes with a stock.

Here’s the article I read:

Pew pew tactical

Those are arm braces. Look at the velcro strap on them. A lot of the newer braces look and function quite well as shoulder stocks.

Taking the strap off or any other type of modification done to the arm brace, means you modified the pistol and it is now an unapproved SBR.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.

Guess I’d have to hold one to see how functional that “brace” is.

So if someone put a regular stock on it then it’d be considered a SBR and subject to the restrictions (ATF permit, etc)?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A pistol is a firearm that is designed to be fired with a single hand.

quote:

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

as opposed to:

quote:
26 U.S.C., § 5485(a)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the following definitions are used to define and verify the different types of firearms:

§ 5845(c) — The term “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

This is why pistols cannot also have VFGs, because a pistol with a VFG would be interpreted as being intended to be fired with a two hands.

It's also why a pistol can have a brace, but not a traditional stock: because the brace ostensibly aids the user in firing the weapon with one hand, whereas the stock is intended for the purpose of being fired from the shoulder.

The fact that you can fire a pistol with two hands, and the fact that most people do in fact shoot their pistols with a two-handed grip doesn't really factor into the definition, probably because there is no practical way to make a gun so that it could only be fired with one hand.

The more astute of you may note that the definitions are not mutually exclusive in that, if a rifle is light enough, you can fire it one-handed while using the stock to brace the rifle against your shoulder. I've done it from time to time myself, with my registered SBR AR with .22LR upper. This doesn't make the one-hand-able rifle a pistol, because no matter how light the rifle is, it still has a stock so it was intended to be fired from the shoulder, even if you can get away with only doing so with one hand.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As usual, LDD provided a better explanation.

I have, however, seen no explanation of why an angled foregrip is okay on a pistol, and not a VFG. The AFG is clearly intended to be used with a second hand on the gun.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Explained....

Legal Brief YouTube video

AR pistols
https://youtu.be/0eJO77J8k3I

SIG Brace
https://youtu.be/tK6YJ3BD2-8

SBRs
https://youtu.be/grvXS8lJ_R4

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.

Guess I’d have to hold one to see how functional that “brace” is.

So if someone put a regular stock on it then it’d be considered a SBR and subject to the restrictions (ATF permit, etc)?

Putting a stock on it without the ATF approval and stamp would mean lots and lots prison time. I have one approved SBR.....I hardly shoot it anymore. I have two MP5 clones with arm braces and a Sig MPX Copperhead (love that little beast).

I shoot and travel with the arm brace pistols a lot. I have a B&T Apc 223 "pistol" with an arm brace that I shoot and travel with a lot.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once the brace started being used as a shoulder stock, some shooters felt it was necessary to raise the question with the ATF. Initially the answer was that it wasn’t designed as a stock, and how it was used made no difference. Then they said, no, you can’t do that. Then they said, yes, you can. That’s where it stands now. Until the next decision.

Those goalposts have been moved too many times to make me feel completely comfortable with such a pistol.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Once the brace started being used as a shoulder stock, some shooters felt it was necessary to raise the question with the ATF. Initially the answer was that it wasn’t designed as a stock, and how it was used made no difference. Then they said, no, you can’t do that. Then they said, yes, you can. That’s where it stands now. Until the next decision.

Those goalposts have been moved too many times to make me feel completely comfortable with such a pistol. How hard is it to drop the pretense and go ahead with making it a SBR?

Well over a year wait time now. Also there are no more Trusts allowed (it was a way to get around having the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your area sign off). Other than the wait times, I have not kept up on current ATF requirements. I am happy without the hassles.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So please forgive this stooooopid question...are the firearms described in the Sig Sauer MPX thread subject to ATF application and approval??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Those goalposts have been moved too many times to make me feel completely comfortable with such a pistol.

That back and forth actually makes more more comfortable about it! The silly letters and more letters contradicting the previous letters i hilarious. It merely highlights the absurdity of the NFA and the ATF's interpretation of it.

Besides, even if you get caught shouldering a "pistol" during a time when a (not having the force of law) "letter" days you can't...can you imagine the prosecutor's arguments in light of all the contradictory letters? It would be quite entertaining.

That's why Jerry says you have to be caught with it while on a pallet of cocaine.

Hey ATF, I have an AR pistol and I touched the brace to my shoulder once, just to see, (just the tip.) Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So please forgive this stooooopid question...are the firearms described in the Sig Sauer MPX thread subject to ATF application and approval??

Depends if it's a pistol w/ or w/o a brace, or a rifle with a stock (and therefor an SBR).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As usual, LDD provided a better explanation.

Thanks sigfeund!

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have, however, seen no explanation of why an angled foregrip is okay on a pistol, and not a VFG. The AFG is clearly intended to be used with a second hand on the gun.

I've never heard a satisfying explanation for this apparent discrepancy.

I'm not saying my personal explanation is very satisfying either, but in the absence of an answer from BATFE's Firearms Technology Branch, it's the best I can come up with:

Magpul Dyanmics debuted in about 2008. This is when a number of new products came to the market, as pushed by Travis Haley and Chris Costa. Among these products were the Bolt Assist Device (BAD) and Angled Foregrip (AFG).

Who was president in 2008? George W. Bush.

I'm guessing, at the time, there wasn't a lot of political juice being poured into classifying a rather obscure and uncommon piece of plastic as a determining factor in AOW-dom.

Also, in 2008, AR pistols were more of a curiosity and relatively uncommon, compared with today. This lack of popular appeal can be traced to one factor: the pistol brace hadn't been invented yet. It wasn't until 2013 that SIG debuted the SIG Brace (really SB-tacticals SB-15, rebranded, but if it wasn't for SIG's display SHOT SHOW 2013, the SB-15 probably would have gone unnoticed for at least another year or more). I know, because I covered it and had the legality debate with Jeff Cramer right on SIG's cushy carpet.

Had the AFG debuted at the same time the SB-15 and other devices like it came out, we might be looking at a very different story with regard to AFGs on pistols.

As it is, this may be a case of "If you want to make it illegal, just keep asking about it."

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Also there are no more Trusts allowed (it was a way to get around having the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your area sign off.

Trusts are still allowed, it’s just that it doesn’t circumvent the CLEO piece. But that also changed, now you just have to notify them once it’s approved, they can’t deny you anymore.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
quote:

Those goalposts have been moved too many times to make me feel completely comfortable with such a pistol. How hard is it to drop the pretense and go ahead with making it a SBR?

Well over a year wait time now. Also there are no more Trusts allowed (it was a way to get around having the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your area sign off). Other than the wait times, I have not kept up on current ATF requirements. I am happy without the hassles.

FYI:

My most recent Eform 1 came back in under a month. Two paper Form 1s filed before than in 4 months.

CLEO approval is not required any longer.

Those were filed as individuals. I see little use to a trust nowadays, at least as regards acquiring an NFA item.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post