SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What kind of Safe Do you Recommend?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of Safe Do you Recommend? Login/Join 
posted
What safes do you own and who still makes mechanical combination safes, e.g., 5 rifles 15 handguns?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Almost everyone makes a mechanical safe still. After researching and reading, it seems that the quality electronic locks are actually more troublefree that mechanicals. Something to do with the mechanicals needing to be serviced to keep the m running smooth. I hneslty dont know, I went electronics on mine. I currently have a Cannon and a Browning Hells Canyon.The Brwoning is nicer but it cost more too. Liberty seems to be where cost meets performance.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have had a mechanical with an S&G lock for 20+ years. no trouble whatsoever.

can anyone match that with an electronic lock?

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have a Sturdy Safe with mechanical S&G lock and it's smooth as butter, when I buy another safe it will be between Rhino and Sturdy and will have a mechanical lock.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My FIL has had his Cannon electronic lock replaced 3 times already and it still won’t work for shit. You might get lucky on the first try or you might have to enter the code 30 times.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would comment that until you get to UL rated safes, it really doesn't matter too much. Second one consideration on the electronic/mechanical issue that affects me is that the approved environmentals on the S&G electronic lock are very much more restrictive than the mechanical one. My safes are in an unheated space and that's an issue here in Maine for me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few Stack-On Elite electronic lock safes that I've had for some years now, not an issue. They are inside the house if that matters.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
have had a mechanical with an S&G lock for 20+ years. no trouble whatsoever.

can anyone match that with an electronic lock?

--------------------------

Yes, bought a used Amsec TL30 safe from a small father/son company. They move, install, repair... safes mostly for banks. KABA electronic lock on my safe and their personal safes. Safe I bought came out of a bank.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A TL30 safe is an actual safe. Versus the stuff we normally discuss around here. There are 50+ year old electronic locks on real safes. At this point I wouldn't want to have one personally as the point of getting repair is probably past for an individual (anyone can fix an S&G mechanical).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Champion or Safe Guard

https://championsafe.com

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a Champion and like it, I bought it for the fire rating.
I bought my son a Amsec, If I had seen that first I might have bought that for myself.
My Champion is much prettier though.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Liberty safes and have been pleased with how they have held up over 6 years of use.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have a Cannon I purchased an easy 30+ years ago and still trucking a long. That S&G mechanical combo squeaks but still runs smooth. While it's not much of a fire safe it will slow the bad guys down. Tractor Supply has them on sale from time to time, the newer ones are much better fire safes but electronic combos coming in right around $1K. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Bern happy with the price and quality of my liberty safe.

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a used 64 gun cannon I picked up for $600 delivered. Bought it from someone I know & trust. It's got the electronic lock. For the price I think I did well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Liberty Franklin 35

mechanical, had it for 20 years or so, no issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lots of good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Liberty seems to be where cost meets performance.

I would agree with this. I have a few TL 15 and 30 safes and obviously those things are indestructible, but the couple Liberty safes I own are worth every penny I paid for them. I’m extremely happy with those and they didn’t cost me an arm and a leg.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the biggest and best safe you can afford. I didn't as I was fearful my wood stairs would collapse, and I regret it almost every day. So I bought my son the safe I should have gotten, an overpriced American Security safe that went for @$3 grand and I also dumped a few of my guns in there for him so it wouldn't look so empty. I wanted the dial lock for the kid (it's a pain in the ass to open) and I was surprised when the Amsec salesguy said that they had less breakage of their electronic locks than the manual dials.

Anyhow, the kid will be able to get in there after the next EMP or Carrington Event.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I would comment that until you get to UL rated safes, it really doesn't matter too much. Second one consideration on the electronic/mechanical issue that affects me is that the approved environmentals on the S&G electronic lock are very much more restrictive than the mechanical one. My safes are in an unheated space and that's an issue here in Maine for me.

I’m currently looking at a couple Liberty safes and the only difference I see is one is UL and one isn’t. What makes the UL safe better?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post