SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You probably don't want to fire .300 BLK out of a 5.56mm barrel.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You probably don't want to fire .300 BLK out of a 5.56mm barrel. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Agreed. This is known as “error proofing”, doing something in advance to eliminate or vastly reduce the chance of error. Like, when I make my daughter put her Sax in front of the door so the only way she can forget it is after tripping over it!

I also have a dust cover with 300 BLK stamped inside and out.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
Wonder how far one of my (AR) .450 Bushmaster rounds will go down the barrel. Here. Hold my beer...

Big Grin

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed at just how far a .30 projectile will travel down a .224 tube...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
If I had a 300blk, I would have an entirely different color for my mags, and would spray the mag well of that rifle as well.

I spray painted the lower part of my black Magpul dedicated .300 BO mags with FDE Krylon (making them two tone) as well as marked the dot matrix spots with the caliber in silver paint...they stand out from my other Pmags like a sore thumb...

Still, I look at getting them mixed up with .556 magazines sorta like having two types of powder out at the same time when reloading...don't do it...be sure. In my life I've personally seen only one rifle completely destroyed (7X57 Mauser) with bad injuries which resulted from reloading cartridges with DuPont PB powder by mistake...

I too am surprised that that .308 bullet made it that far down and the shooter was not injured.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

( M855 5.56 round for scale )

That bullet has one hell of a ballistic coefficient.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something here?
A 300 BO is a 30 cal bullet on a 223 casing.
The mags are the SAME. The Lowers are the SAME.
The mags are interchangeable -- therefore the error could occur.

Sigfreund makes a good point--separate the cartridges and the rifles.

When I see my RED charging handle--I know 300 BO.

Same goes for my suppressor--No QD mount--direct thread so I don't send a 30 cal into a 22 cal suppressor.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People do some crazy stuff with their guns. A guy at my carry permit class was trying to load 357Sig ammo in his GP100.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
My .300s all have FDE furniture and use the .300 Magpul PMAGs. My 5.56s are all black and use smoked Lancers. I figure that way they all look and even feel different.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll admit it, I tried clambering and firing 2 rounds of 300BLK in a 5.56 rifle one day at the range. Rounds chambered just fine, would not fire however. It finally dawned on me what I was doing. Took a long break after that to clear my head.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
This right here is why the Army should not, and will not, adopt 6.8SPC/300BLK/6.5Grendel, etc. You do not want this to happen, and it will be even more common, in a chaotic combat environment. Whatever they adopt next will have a different OAL and an incompatible magazine.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There are cheaper ways to make swaged bullets.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I was under the impression that you couldn't chamber .300blk in a 5.56 breach/barrel.

I'm building a .300blk, and I'm not very smart, so this whole color coding thing may need to happen.

I’ve got 7 or 8 300blk rifles and about double that many 5.56 rifles. Try as I might, I have never been able to. Get a 300blk round to chamber in a 5.56 gun or visa versa.

That pic obviously shows it’s possible, but it ain’t easy based on my guns.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I only keep 3 magazines loaded with 300 blackout. On each I wrapped a couple of layers of blue and a couple layers of yellow electrical tape around the lower portion of the mag like stripes. Not only will I see the difference but I will feel it.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
At the risk of being CW3 Obvious, I’ll stress my own opinion on this.

Murphy identified it long ago: “Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.” If the situation makes it possible to load 300 Blackout ammunition in a rifle chambered for 223/5.56 and fire it, it will happen. Color coding and labels are great, but they rely on shooters’ thinking about what they’re doing. And if we are thinking about what we’re doing, then all that’s necessary is to look at the rifle, look at the ammunition, and not do the wrong thing. The problem is that most of us don’t always think about what we’re doing.

A safer way is to not rely on keeping things straight when we’re actually shooting, but to separate the ammunition and guns before we’re shooting. Safest is to take only one type to the range, but it’s pretty good if things are separated in our vehicles and only one type is taken to the firing point at a time. Color coding or other markings are useful for quick identification—when we’re paying attention—but they’re not a guarantee.

(All that is just one of the many firearms safety rules I try to follow beyond “the” four.)

This is great advice. I had a panicked moment a year or two ago when my buddy, his wife, and I were out shooting. His wife was shooting, and I looked on the bench and saw 270 Win, 30-06, and 280 Remington ammunition all on the bench at the same time. Eek I called a time-out and policed up everything right there before it all went south.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
People do some crazy stuff with their guns. A guy at my carry permit class was trying to load 357Sig ammo in his GP100.

I've seen both sides of this, ( as you described above and the occasional wayward .357 SIG shooters ending up with .357 MAG. Confused )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You error proof them by leaving one of them at home.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post