SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Opinions on PSA quality?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Opinions on PSA quality? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I picked up one of their blemished AR pistol lowers for $129 and they have a 8.5" .300 BO upper for $299. Is it worth it? How rugged are they have have a LMT and a 516 so will dependability be close?

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 2879 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have bought two PSA AR-15's and both times I bought the Lower and upper separately. They both are both excellent entry level AR-15s that are 100% reliable and shoot at 1.5 to 2 MOA based on the ammo they are shooting. So far for the price I have been very happy with them both.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 8948 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have built a few rifles using their premium bolt carrier groups, and their nitride barrels.

All have been excellent.

I have never bought a complete upper from them.

Posts: 12624 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The upper was $259 pretty hard to beat at that price. I have a couple of BCM bolts and a few charging handles laying around.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 2879 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
The several I have bought have been ok with fit and finish.I think a total of five this year.
Triggers are not to my liking and I re-spring them with J P enterprise ones after I tweak them with a little love.

Posts: 20980 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have an ALG Combat trigger to put in it.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
Be aware that they have three quality levels available...PTAC, Freedom, and their Premium lines. I was told there is a difference between the three levels in quality.FYI.

Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Used a Freedom upper on a build I did for my brother as a wedding present, it is definitely good to go. My brother is new to the AR world and he was impressed with the finish, I was impressed with the accuracy. My only gripe with PSA is the ridiculously long lead times on getting things shipped to your door, but at those prices one can be patient.

Posts: 2715 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Report This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Stainless Freedom upper that does what it is supposed to do.

I bought one of their lower parts kits and the trigger was complete and utter garbage. So I won't be getting any of those again.
ALG is my go to trigger now.

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 17427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
About average.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34850 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Their premium CHF line use FN parts if that matters.

Posts: 9301 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I like their .223/5.56 stuff. I would stay away from the 9mm stuff though. I built a 9mm pistol using their components (if you consider putting a complete upper onto a complete lower building) and had to send it back due to extraction issues. They offered me a refund and I took it. I've also read about issues with the 9mm bolts.

I think their regular AR stuff is good to go though.

Posts: 973 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Report This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a premium upper and a Freedom pistol upper and a couple of their lowers. I like the Premium uppers, they are good to go. I've never found an actual flaw on their "flawed" units. I think they have the best bang for the buck going on ARs.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigP239Hokie:
Used a Freedom upper on a build I did for my brother as a wedding present, it is definitely good to go. My brother is new to the AR world and he was impressed with the finish, I was impressed with the accuracy. My only gripe with PSA is the ridiculously long lead times on getting things shipped to your door, but at those prices one can be patient.

Either I got lucky, or maybe they are getting better with shipping. I ordered a rifle kit on Christmas eve and it will be delivered sometime tomorrow. It's my first order with them and with all the complaints of slow shipping I've read plus the extra holiday volume, I was expecting a lengthy wait.

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. – Anonymous

Posts: 782 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
no experience with lowers,
however

I have a few of their LPK's (PTAC) and inexpensive uppers (again, PTAC) that function as they should,

trigger with no issue, and the uppers look ok, no blems or stuff wrong, and shoot well,

www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Posts: 5645 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've used two of their stainless freedom uppers and one of their complete lowers on a couple of builds. Both have PSA bcgs. Everything has worked perfectly, and they are as accurate as I can shoot.

I put an ALG ACT trigger in the Dissipator and the PSA version of that trigger in the other one.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 13260 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, I feel confident I will get a decent firearm for a good price.

YAT-YAS

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I like their .223/5.56 stuff. I would stay away from the 9mm stuff though. I built a 9mm pistol using their components (if you consider putting a complete upper onto a complete lower building) and had to send it back due to extraction issues. They offered me a refund and I took it. I've also read about issues with the 9mm bolts.

I think their regular AR stuff is good to go though.

I had the same issues on a 9mm colt lower and upper I got from them. I received exemplary service from them, sent it back, they replaced the extractor and it runs like a champ now.

One of many products I've bought from them and this was the only one with issues.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12372 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA lowers are generally good to go.

PSA has four different "lines" / quality levels: PSA premium, PSA, PTAC and Freedom.

The PSA and PSA premium are decent quality.

I would avoid the PTAC and Freedom lines, particularly for any serious use.

Posts: 189 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Landchipper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
The several I have bought have been ok with fit and finish.I think a total of five this year.
Triggers are not to my liking and I re-spring them with J P enterprise ones after I tweak them with a little love.

I have had the same experience and with a good
trigger, have been very pleased.

Too many SIGs .. ... Nah not really

Posts: 266 | Location: AL | Registered: August 04, 2006Report This Post