SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which vise block and crush washer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which vise block and crush washer? Login/Join 
posted
So just got a KX5 to try on my LMT pistol build, but the one crush washer I had does not want to compress without a ton of force. As I don't have an action block (or vise block, mag block, whatever the term) I need to buy one. So what do we like for this and crush washers? Thanks.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Got a vise ??
If yes, that and a old belt... just clamp the barrel.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume an LMT pistol build is an AR style gun. In order of my preference I would prefer a reaction rod (I use a geissle), JPE upper vise blocks (if its installed in an upper), a good set of barrel blocks with a pad, some kind of padded poly high grip vise blocks, the vise with some homemade wood barrel blocks and piece of leather/rubber. I'd never rely on a mag block for this.
crush washer is a crush washer. If you need to time it with shims then I prefer the surefire kit (SureFire Replacement Shim Kit Z-71652 if its 1/2-28).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
some kind of padded poly high grip vise blocks

These Yost plastic vise jaw covers work well, with good strong magnets to hold them in place. Not sure of the actual type of plastic, but it's got some good "give" and grip. They also have a set of rubber jaw covers, but the reviews on the magnets for them are not as good.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
The BEV block from Magpul works well. Interfaces with the barrel lugs just like the more expensive Reaction rod.

I've built several rifles on it. Changed numerous muzzle devices.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
So just got a KX5 to try on my LMT pistol build, but the one crush washer I had does not want to compress without a ton of force. As I don't have an action block (or vise block, mag block, whatever the term) I need to buy one. So what do we like for this and crush washers? Thanks.

If the crush washer is copper, heat it a lot with a torch on a coat hanger wire, it will burn the impurities out of it from sitting on the shelf forever let it cool and it will be softer and crush properly without he-man force.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a reaction rod instead of vise jaws.

There is no need to flatten or compress the crush washer.

Torque to 20 or 25 ft/lb and call it a day.

There is no reason to line up the pig and serial# at 3 and 6.

Good luck.
I have a KX3 on one of my SBRs, it works great.

Posts: 13 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use a reaction rod instead of vise jaws.

This has saved me on more than one occasion. Only $40 at the gunshow.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I really like the concept of that reaction rod.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have a reaction rod and two different styles of vice blocks. The blocks are nice, but 99 percent of the time I use the reaction rod.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post