SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need help with sighting problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with sighting problem Login/Join 
posted
I am a right handed shooter with everything but long guns. I am left eye dominant and have trouble acquiring the target with both eyes open using a hand gun since I have to tilt my head a little to sight with my left eye. I only shoot my hand guns with my right hand. Should I try to learn to sight with my right eye or just keep shooting with one eye closed. I know this reduces my field of vision by at least 40% which could be a problem in a defensive situation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion is that you continue to work towards learning to shoot with both eyes open.

In the end you will be better for it. Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I'm left eye dominant also, I shoot a handgun right handed, rifle left handed.

Dry fire practice will help you. Start from a low ready and press the gun out until the sight align with your eye, squint your non dominant eye at first, over time open it more and more.

You will develop the ability quickly, it just takes a little getting used to, for both eyes open shooting.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
JRC is absolutely correct. It takes practice but is doable. You will suffer less tiredness as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although this is the Rifle Room, I understand that you’re referring to sighting with and shooting a handgun—correct?

If so, I tell my students who are right-handed, but left eye dominant to just use their left eye. The advice already given is correct, except that I’d add that there should be no reason to tilt your head when sighting with your left (dominant) eye. As part of the practice in acquiring a sight picture with your left eye, assume a relaxed head-upright position and bring the gun up to the position that you can aim without moving your head. That will require moving the gun over to the left slightly as compared with aiming with your right eye, but once you become accustomed to it, that won’t matter. Although I’m right-handed and right eye dominant, I can’t focus on the front sight with my right eye. When I want to have a clear view of my front sight, I use my left eye and simply move the gun so my sights are in line with it.

So, I agree that it’s simply a matter of practice and training one’s brain to use the eye we choose. Start slow and become accustomed to what’s required.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've had several clients who were right handed and left eye dominate.

The important thing to practice is to bring the sights to, in front of, the dominate eye; not the eye to the sights

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
I'm left eye dominant also, I shoot a handgun right handed, rifle left handed.

Dry fire practice will help you. Start from a low ready and press the gun out until the sight align with your eye, squint your non dominant eye at first, over time open it more and more.

You will develop the ability quickly, it just takes a little getting used to, for both eyes open shooting.

Handgun right, rifle left.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post