SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger American Ranch, in 300BLK, part 2.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Ranch, in 300BLK, part 2. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I think I can confirm now I have a Ruger problem.

I've been staring at my local dealer's Ranch in 300BLK. And just when I was ready to make a purchase, I found Ruger's American Rimfire Target in .17HMR.

Back and forth, back and forth. Quoting Jimmy Buffet: "Indecision may or may not be my problem." So I stopped at the LGS yesterday and chatted a while with the owner and a couple of regular customers. It seems the general .17HMR opinion is that it's too big for small game and too small for big game. Turkey, perhaps (if I'm a steady shot); groundhogs, for sure. Prairie dogs? Perhaps.

So after a good bit of discussion, I think I've changed my focus back to the Ranch in 300BLK. It seems very versatile. I could build an AR for it if I wanted; suppressable; suitable for deer hunting; much lighter than my .308; I could reload for it. I'm not sure I've found any drawbacks yet.

So. I believe I'm going to make a trip back to the LGS on Friday and bring home a new rifle. Cool

I've read several threads here regarding the Ranch in 300BLK, and it seems to be well-liked. Is there anything else I ought to know or consider before trekking back to the LGS?

Support our troops, and thank 'em when you see 'em.
Go Hokies!
New favorite quote from the golf course: "It's not the club, son."

Posts: 7008 | Location: Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I smell a package deal, get both!!!!!!

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 16830 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Doggone it, Black, I asked you before!

Let! Go! Of my arm! Razz

Go Hokies!

Posts: 7008 | Location: Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of a Package Deal. Yeah the .17 HMR isn't a caliber with a lot of applications but it's a real hoot to shoot and will knock a tree rat flat like a lighting bolt.

As for the 300 BLK, I think of as sort of a 30 caliber rifle specific variant of the 357 Magnum. Energy level and power are very similar between the two and the refined aerodynamics of the 30 caliber do a lot to extend the range. End result is you get an effective load for Whitetail that doesn't beat you up like the 308 can in a lighter rifle. Actually if you start out your range session with the 308 when you move to the 300 BLK you'll think you're shooting a 22 Magnum.

BTW, my favorite powder for the 300 BLK is the same as my favorite for 357 Magnum Rifle loads, good old H110/W296. It meters like water and is good for superb accuracy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 3677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus, it's threaded so you can add a suppressor (dual purpose with a 9mm handgun and subsonic .300 BLK, or use a .30 rifle can for all .300 BLK).

Posts: 254 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
One of those Rugers has taken up residence in my house.

It's a riot with 245gr subs and a can.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 14909 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
So. I believe I'm going to make a trip back to the LGS on Friday and bring home a new rifle.

Based on more than a few years around here and there, here's what I have seen occur.

You'll go to the LGS, see two rifles and you'll proudly come home with two rifles. Soon after, you'll realize you need two scopes, two sets of rings, more magazines, probably a bipod or two, and two bunches of ammo to see what the rifles like. Because you've just dropped some fair coin, you'll want to know what's the best scope you can buy for a minimal budget.

You'll buy bargain basement scopes. Maybe with simple duplex reticles, maybe with a BDC reticle, most likely with capped elevation turrets. You'll find that either the BDC doesn't work for your loads, or the turrets don't easily adjust for your various shooting distances. And maybe the scope is dark or of low clarity, so seeing targets is a challenge. Maybe parallax is fixed at a distance that's different than what you shoot.

After a couple months of sorta-ish-fun, the rifles go to the back of the safe and rarely see the light of day, as you look for the latest new thing.

Yep, I'm the wet blanket. The party pooper. Brought about by month after month of seeing it occur and reading about it.

Figure out the one rifle you really want. Have a plan for using it. Buy it. Invest in a scope that costs way more than the rifle. Get good rings. Get a good bipod. Buy good ammo, shoot the piss out of the gun, and post really good targets on line. Shoot the rifle so much than you have to rebarrel.

Then, just maybe, consider the second rifle.

Posts: 4451 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
^^^^^-- sage advice.

Posts: 1222 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Or skip the .17 & get the 5.56NATO version!
You already have an AR & ammo.

Just sayin

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

"He's a Mean Motor Scooter & a Bad Go Getter !"

Posts: 5173 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ubelongoutside
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

Just sayin

GrumpyBiker, what is that optic on yours? I just picked up a compact all weather in. 223 I need a scope for.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Posts: 825 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

Just sayin

GrumpyBiker, what is that optic on yours? I just picked up a compact all weather in. 223 I need a scope for.

Looks like a Nikon P223, but what d I know. Frown

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 6326 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Yeah that RAR in 300blk is definitely on my list! Right now I'm focused on finishing up my 308 build. Once thats finished, hello blackout. Big Grin

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 3891 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
It's the Nikon P223 , 3x32 BDC reticle.
I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC scope for it during the pre-Christmas sales but I've not mounted it as it's too cold & wet to get to the range & zero it.
This 3x32 scope has been on just about everything in my safe from one time or another. Great little scope & perfect for ARs. But I'm a huge fan of Nikon scopes especially when pared with their SpotOn app & web site.
Doesn't hurt that they've worked the bugs out of the software.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

Posts: 5173 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
^^^^^-- sage advice.

Having read a LOT of your posts here, fritz, I went back and re-read this one a number of times. And I have to say, your advice sinks in deeply.

I went back to the LGS, and I came home with one rifle -- the RAR in .300BLK. My dealer made what I thought was a nice offer on a Leupold VX-1, and I went with it. Big enough [caliber] to deer hunt with, light enough to carry into the woods easily, easy to clean, and reloadable. It just seemed far more practical than the .17HMR.

A friend came up on Saturday and we went out primarily to help him with his new AR (having spent a day prior chasing holes all over the place, later finding his scope mount to be loose).

After getting him sorted out a bit, we pulled out the new RAR and quickly found that the boresighting was okay in terms of windage, but way low at 80-100 yards. It didn't take long to sort that out, and my friend and I were not at all unimpressed with our shooting. We put out a few orange golf balls and tried to send them flying. We were unable to put holes in them, but we were close enough to them to send them well away from what they were sitting on. It's a matter of operator and technique now, not hardware. I'm pleased.

With your "rarely see the light of day" comment in mind, you've got me rethinking a couple of past purchases. I'm thinking I should sell a couple and put the funds toward improving my skills with this rifle, my .308, and my carry gun. Have few, concentrate well. Have many, be very distracted.

I don't have a target to post, but I intend to shortly. I'm really liking this rifle.

I did notice an oddity with the magazine. If I put five rounds into it, the first one would hang up upon closing the bolt. I'd have to open the bolt again, turn the rifle over and dump that first round out, and go again. The next four cartridges from the magazine would feed just fine.

Go Hokies!

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Although running it thru an AR, there is a bunch of info on handloading the .300 in the Reloading forum. Happy to toss out whatever Ive stumbled upon along the way too. Do you know the twist of the barrel? The Barnes 110gr Black tips are the schnizzit in the .300. If you google a place called "American Reloading" they always have good deals on pulls to get you started in various weights.

Posts: 9587 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information offer, entropy.
The twist on this rifle is a 1:7, and the only thing I've fed it so far is a Hornady 125-gr. I'll look for the Barnes 110s -- what makes them the schnizzit?

Go Hokies!

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
My bank account could have done without seeing this thread.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14325 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Mine too, I went by and looked at one today, $399.00. Nice, light ,short good bush gun. (sigh)

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.

Posts: 78 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
While mine is in 5.56 NATO it looks like the .300BLK
I just got the Nikon 4-12x40 mounted.
Since we had a break in the usual winter weather here I limped out & snapped some pics.

For those thinking of picking up one of these....

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm really fighting buying a Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle, Stainless and a laminate stock.

I also want a MK IV, 22/45 Mk. IV, and the list goes on....

And then...

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 21304 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post