SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Gots All These AR Mags, Now How Am I Gonna Carry 'Em?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Gots All These AR Mags, Now How Am I Gonna Carry 'Em? Login/Join 
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I have a pretty heavy duty 5.11 bag I bought years ago. I have it stuffed with well over 1000 rounds of loaded magazines. Quite a mix of magazines at that.
30 round Magpuls & Lancers
20 round Magpuls & Lancers
100 Round Beta C-Mag
2 Surefire 60's
Magpul 40 & 60
and a few GI aluminum mags

The bag is plenty strong and has a shoulder strap. I still have room but it's quite heavy as it is.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I Gots All These AR Mags

This should read "I have some AR Mags" of "I have a couple of AR Mags"...

Wink

30 Cal Ammo cans can hold 6 x 30s stacked plus 2 x 20s & a couple of pistol mags in extra area.

50 cal Ammo cans can hold 12 x 30s stacked / plus 2-3 additional 20/30s and some pistol mags in the extra area.

Yeah you have have a gonzo single bag / box, but it's going to get heavy quick.

Better IMO to have a carrier (overt) with pouches and bag for covert carry; plus several smaller grab ammo boxes to use as movement / situation dictate.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I Gots All These AR Mags

This should read "I have some AR Mags" of "I have a couple of AR Mags"...

Wink

That's what I was thinking, too. Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a lightweight chest rig for range use/matches. Also useful for end of the world shit has hit the fan mad max scenarios. Razz

It is actually slim enough that a thick winter coat will conceal it for the most part although that really isn't a consideration for me.

If I had some reason to be discreet I would drop a mag or two in a cargo pocket.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'd think that keeping the rifle discreet would be a bigger problem than keeping the mags discreet. Unless you've got the rifle broken down and stuffed in a backpack. If you're walking down the street with an AR slung across your chest, or driving with it sitting on the seat beside you, you've pretty much thrown the notion of discreet out the window already.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Condor Kangaroo triple mag pouch mounted on a Condor Chest Rig

BCS. Friends don't let friends by Chinese tactical gear.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the one form Olongapo Outfitters. Holds 8 mags and has a wide strap.

https://olongapooutfitters.com...15-30rd-grab-and-go/

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Oh, and if you really have a "sufficient" number of AR mags, the answer to your questions is a large cardboard box!!! Cool

Yup 40qt tote here....spare loaded in GI bandoleers....amazon has them sometimes for $6-10

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
https://www.511tactical.com/rush-moab-6.html

I use this. It's small enough to sling over the shoulder, but I load up 10 mags with room to spare in the main compartment, has a few other mag pockets in the secondary compartment, has a Velcro pocket for a G19 and hydration.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Classic US army khaki WW2 canvas ammo bags. I love them. You can buy good copies from China off of EBay. They at inexpensive but eminently utilitarian. Buy a bunch and don’t look back.

Cross two bandoleer style like a Mexican bandito for maximum effect.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Olongapo Outfitters.

this for relatively small numbers.
my grab and go is a backpack with a couple of these in it as well as whats on the plate carrier (those in molle holders).
if I was to move all my AR mags I would be thinking cargo van. you need more and now is a great time to get them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:

I dig the concept, but I wish someone would come up with a better flap closure method than velcro or the buttons velcro has largely replaced.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olongapo Outfitters gets my vote for an immediate response. No it is not a basic load for conducting search & destroy missions. Those days are long gone for me. However, if you want 240 rds plus what’s in your rifle and be able to “Grab & Go”, Jerry Dean makes some outstanding stuff. Made in the USA by a retired Marine. I cannot amagine you will be disappointed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:

Hmmm... Similar to the BFG product. I'll have to compare them side-by-side as well as I can.

The wider strap on the Olongapo product might be advantageous. Plus two add'l mags. And no stretchable material.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that I’m particularly concerned about carrying large numbers of magazines away from my home because I’m not planning to leave my home in a situation that might require having large numbers of magazines, but one thing I believe might be important in a situation that requires reloading is not making a lot of noise in the process. That’s why I prefer clip type fasteners rather than Velcro. They also don’t self-fasten when I’m expecting ready access.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
As I was closing-up the safe this evening I thought about how I have a "sufficient" number of AR mags, then started thinking "Let's just say I did want to get the AR and a bunch of loaded mags out of the safe and go somewhere with 'em... How'm I gonna carry all that?"

Found myself over at Blue Force Gear and spotted this: Ten-Speed 6 Pack Bandolier.

Looks like a pretty neat, light-weight, minimalist solution. Economical, too.

I'm using one of their Ten-Speed dual mag pouches for my P320F .45 ACP mags and I like it.

Thoughts?

Blue Force Gear is go to go. Chest rigs work well for me but they aren't for everybody.

You need a few more magazines, like triple your current inventory, unless you only have one rifle which means you need to remedy that too. Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Not that I’m particularly concerned about carrying large numbers of magazines away from my home because I’m not planning to leave my home in a situation that might require having large numbers of magazines, ...

If I needed to move around my own home in a defensive situation, I'd want those magazines to go with me, there, too.

In fact: It was just such a scenario that was on my mind when I posted the question. Outside threat. Grab AR-15. Mags...? Uh oh...

quote:
... but one thing I believe might be important in a situation that requires reloading is not making a lot of noise in the process.

I suppose that might be a concern... if anybody can hear velcro after/through all that shooting.

quote:
That’s why I prefer clip type fasteners rather than Velcro. They also don’t self-fasten when I’m expecting ready access.

Do you know of any product resembling what's already been suggested that uses such fasteners?

quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
You need a few more magazines, like triple your current inventory, unless you only have one rifle which means you need to remedy that too. Smile

If I can't do it with one rifle I doubt I'll get 'er done with two. In any event: In a world of finite resources I won't be buying any more ARs nor any more magazines. Prolly more ammo, tho...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, guys! I'm kind of leaning toward the Olongapo. Since home defence seems the most likely scenario, I'm thinkin' black would be the best bet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I suppose that might be a concern... if anybody can hear velcro after/through all that shooting.

And assuming that the person/people I’m concerned about isn’t/aren’t wearing good hearing protection or using suppressor(s).

I give such subjects a lot of thought, and therefore I can imagine many scenarios that might require reloading a weapon—or even initial loading—from a pouch when I might not want to make any more noise than necessary. There’s a video showing a police officer who arrived at the scene of an active shooting with no magazine in his rifle. Although not explained, he evidently lost the mag en route someplace, and that’s a reason, if no other, for carrying at least one spare mag.

All of my imagined scenarios are extremely unlikely, but so is the likelihood of my ever having to use a gun to defend myself at all. Because I have a lot of time to imagine such things (and adequate money) my philosophy is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst to the degree that’s reasonably possible for me. Most, but not all, of my magazine pouches have plastic clips to hold them closed or a piece of stretchy cord to keep the mags in place. The latter are admittedly not perfect because it’s possible for them to become dislodged and the mag be left unsecured.

Thigh pouches with clips are offered by Blackhawk industries.

https://blackhawk.com/products...6-drop-leg-mag-pouch
https://blackhawk.com/products...-elite-m16-mag-pouch

My bulk carrier with shoulder and waist strap that holds a total of six 30-round magazines was made by an old company, Assault Systems, but this is a very similar “mag bag” that now holds nine:

http://shootingsystems.com/mag...mag_bag_mag_holders/

I haven’t researched further, but with the huge number of companies that manufacture such things, I would hope that one or two others would also recognize the advantages of securing them with silent clips rather than Velcro. Velcro is of course much easier and cheaper to manufacture, and may not matter in the vast majority of situations, but ….

There are also a number of pouches that use elastic to grip the magazines tightly. They usually involve more elaborate and complex designs, and are therefore more expensive, plus mags can be pulled out if they catch on something, but they might be worth a look.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
My bulk carrier with shoulder and waist strap that holds a total of six 30-round magazines was made by an old company, Assault Systems, but this is a very similar “mag bag” that now holds nine:

http://shootingsystems.com/mag...mag_bag_mag_holders/

I admit I do like the idea of those fasteners over Velcro. But I'd prefer something more along the lines of the other two products already discussed, that hold 6 or 8 mags, two deep, narrow sides out, rather than edge-out.

I'll have to do more looking around.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd be happier with the kind of knotted elastic thongs one finds on chest rigs, but I suppose they could be knocked off of the bottoms of the mags if one had the bag swinging around behind one's back.