SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Gots All These AR Mags, Now How Am I Gonna Carry 'Em?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Gots All These AR Mags, Now How Am I Gonna Carry 'Em? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The cost of plates has come down so much I figure if you have time to toss on your magazine carrier...it might as well offer ballistic protection at the same time.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
There are a number of "active shooter" type bags, but I got one of these:

http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/245

Super durable, it was my IDPA/ Carbine match bag for years. Super durable, strong but quick zipper. Holds 12 AR mags plus six double stack handgun mags. Gives you more options if you do something dumb while rushing. I typically have 8-10 AR mags, a small first aid kit, plus the half dozen 226 mags.

I like a shoulder bag with handle. If I'm grabbing my rifle plus a bag and running, I don't want to be fiddling with multiple straps or weird vest setups to get the thing on right. It's much quicker to throw something over your shoulder.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a few of the Garand and M1 Carbine pouches from Olongapo. Awesome stuff. If I was in the market for a carrier for AR mags they would be my first choice.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
There are a number of "active shooter" type bags, but I got one of these:

http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/245

Super durable, it was my IDPA/ Carbine match bag for years. Super durable, strong but quick zipper. Holds 12 AR mags plus six double stack handgun mags. Gives you more options if you do something dumb while rushing. I typically have 8-10 AR mags, a small first aid kit, plus the half dozen 226 mags.

I like a shoulder bag with handle. If I'm grabbing my rifle plus a bag and running, I don't want to be fiddling with multiple straps or weird vest setups to get the thing on right. It's much quicker to throw something over your shoulder.

Nice looking little rig. American made too.
I had the Larue version, but that seems lower profile and able to carry more.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

If I can't do it with one rifle I doubt I'll get 'er done with two. In any event: In a world of finite resources I won't be buying any more ARs nor any more magazines. Prolly more ammo, tho...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, guys! I'm kind of leaning toward the Olongapo. Since home defence seems the most likely scenario, I'm thinkin' black would be the best bet.

2 is 1 and 1 is none. If your AR goes down it is very convenient to have an extra.

Have you looked at waist belts that you can attach pouches to? What about USGI gear?

I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me.

I don't know what else you plan on carrying along with magazines, keep in mind the weight and your physical condition.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
2 is 1 and 1 is none. If your AR goes down it is very convenient to have an extra.

Possibly the most hackneyed statement ever made by gun owners. If the one is none, then the one is the wrong one. Those of us who shoot rifles enough to wear out parts, know that with a little cleaning & lube, a quality AR is incredibly reliable.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Your body will thank you if you source a wider pad to go on that strap. Just looking at that thing gives me knots in my shoulders.

Yeah, yeah, it's only six mags. Wear that for a day and you'll understand.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ok, serious answer.

What is this AR for, and where will it be kept.

You can run the realm of ideas from target shooting to home defense, to zombie Apocalypse to revolution...

But unless you really define and decide where it will be kept and how it will be used this is actually a hard question to answer for actual reasons.

If, like me, this in intended to be an HD rifle, and "all of the above and including answers I haven't seen listed on this test" type answer...

1. Get a plate carrier, and some plates. You can get a plate carrier, plates, and mag pouches that are quality on a sub 500 dollar budget. If you are gonna keep and AR next to the bed for "bumps" in the night, then keep the plates too.

2. If you REALLY don't want plates (i'd disagree, cause it's faster and has more protection) then you can build a "battle belt" type set up. Literally a belt that goes on easily, has a holster set up for your pistol, spare mags for whatever you need spare mags for, and other gear (flashlight, med kit, cuffs, etc.)

3. IF you still are talking about a defensive situation (and you aren't wrong to, I'd much rather prepare for a possible defensive situation that i NEVER have to actually use, than to be in one and have no gear, no plan and therefore no chance) then at least get a pouch. You can get decent 6 mag pouches, and I have a nice 2 AR mag/2 pistol mag pouch that sits with my rifle. It sits in my patrol car in case I HAVE To get out immediately and engage...

(Actually, with that said, let me talk about my "active shooter" kits, both work and home....

1. Work: There is an AR in the patrol car. Rock River Entery Tactical with a quad rail, 120 Lumen surefire light, VFG, and an Aimpoint with backup sights. WIth it I keep an Eagle Industries pouch that carries 2 AR Mags, 1 Sig 229 mag (duty gun) and 1 Glock 22 mag (Carry Glock 27 as backup on my ankle). Additionally I keep a 30 round mag loaded in teh driver' door pocket in case I can't grab the pouch I can get it as I exit the car. There is also a 20 round mag in the center console.

In the trunk I keep my plate carrier that keeps on it, 4 30 round mags, 1 12 round 229 mag, 1 med kit, 2 tourniquets.

So theoretically I have the potential to grab 290 rounds for rifle, 49 for duty pistol, and 27 for my backup pistol before going into a gunfight... (you can only have too much ammunition if you are underwater or on fire...)

Now, a home defense type situation is different, you can hole up, defend the room, and keep loaded mags on site.

10 mags would be my min for ownership, and by that I mean I was on welfare, and could never afford to buy more.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use surplus bandoleers or chinese type 63 chest rig for pretty cheap.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
I have this lttle bag I use. I have plate carrier with pouches But I like this

https://www.dragogear.com/prod...s/ammo-tool-bag.html

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You ONLY have TWO GI style magazines? WTF man? When the world collapses, those plastic mags will turn to dust. Aluminum mags still work fine 60-70 years later.

Get a ten pack of Okay brand (the best GI mags) mags ordered pronto.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I like the 5.11 Two Banger shown here https://www.511tactical.com/2-banger-bag.html It actually can hold more than 2 AR mags. I keep 4 AR mags, a couple of pistol mags, a handheld flashlight, and a small IFAK in mine. They also have a Four Banger model, which I use for more of a range bag.

I guess I'm just a damn Gear Queer, because I also have a Viking Tactics Brokos Battle Belt, a Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist Plate Carrier, and a couple of different chest rigs, my favorite being the AR/AK Micro Rig from Original SOE Gear.

Lots of good choices already mentioned. My wife is gonna kill me if I buy any more bags.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic—
I’ve got a Condor chest rig laying around that I’m not using. It’s not black, I think it’s like ATACS camo or something. It’s yours, if you want it. My email is in my profile. Shoot me your address and I’ll send it to you.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
My
Mayflower plate carrier.
LBT H-harness
Eagle Plate carrier
HSG Denali

Alas, can only have 10rnd mags in NY.
What a waste of nylon Frown

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For grab and go to the range or moving mags to various parts of the house, or for just keeping track of all the mags I have I like these inexpensive cases from MidwayUSA. They are t tactical but they beat a cardboard box. They’re discrete enough to keep in the truck or carry around. I like to keep mags and stuff in different parts of the house. Anyway here’s a link. If you wait around these can go on sale for $10 on occasion. I wrap some different colored tape on the strap so I can quickly identify the good stuff from the range ammo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-ar-15-magazine-case

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-ar-15-magazine-case

I second the recommendation from Jimineer above. I just bought 3 of them. They'll work. 4 mags per unit isn't too heavy, and it is "enough" firepower to take care of anything you'd run into even in the most exotic and rarest of "crazy" circumstances.

They're cheap, so you'll buy them in the first place, and they're cheap enough to get multiples. The more you have, the more locations you can keep spare mags.

-One for the vehicle
-One for the house
-One for range use

You should always have an assortment of AR mags loaded and ready at all times. Having units like the above make the whole idea feasible.

In the end, you should get a decent rigger belt (thick, durable, rigid, discrete enough for every day carry) AND easy on/off AR mag holders for that belt for EDC capability, should you need it, a battle belt, chest rig, plate carrier with mag pouches (not too many, don't get weighted down to where you're an immobile, exhausted, short-winded, easy bullet magnet), and a whole mound of ammo cans, some of which may contain even more loaded AR magazines that are cryptically marked and stragetically located so that you'll know where your ammo mag depost cans are situated and are identifiable. Everything is a process, and getting your ammunition setup is also going to take time. Do it incrementally.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Query: how wide is the shoulder strap?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Shoulder strap on the Midway product is 1". Just measued it. The strap is capable to being switched out, prn.

Indeed, the Midway ammo bandoleer isn't a "premium" product, but it is good enough. Catch it on sale and it's a good deal, IMO. I bought mine with the "birthday" price discount and they were about $10 each. I'd be hesitant to buy more than one for the standard price of $15 each.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
I guess I'm just a damn Gear Queer,

Ahem.....we prefer kit whore Cool

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:
You can use surplus bandoleers or chinese type 63 chest rig for pretty cheap.

Yup as I mentioned earlier...why pay $20+ when I can get these
https://www.amazon.com/Militar...Cgarden%2C199&sr=8-4

for $5

I have 6+ *(can't remember) in the house and truck

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post