SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How to attach a vortex scope to a Marlin 336
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to attach a vortex scope to a Marlin 336 Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
It’s that time of year again, my father in law makes me accompany him hunting on his land with no deer.

Just in case a deer is there this year, I figure I’d use my marlin 336 from 1958, rather than continue to beat up my ol’ Winchester 94 with the weird off set scope mount.

Before I start buying the things I don’t need, what exactly should I purchase to attach my Vortex Strike Eagle to it? Do I need to attach a rail first?

Any recommendations?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I put a rail on my 1956 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. It was already drilled and tapped, and it lined up perfectly.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the XS rails on my levers. EGW makes rails too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My 1964 336 .35Rem has a Leupold 2-7x33mm scope in Talley "low" mounts. They screw directly to the topstrap, no rail required.
The Talley mounts would be a nice clean setup with the Strike Eagle and set it about as low as you can go.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I have a rail on the receiver of my 1894 and use Warne QD rings.

Easy on/off and return to zero; can see irons when scope is off.

I may replace them with this Skinner mount for a more elegant appearance, and the rear aperture.

http://skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html

"Our base is designed to look "CLASSIC" "TRADITIONAL" and "SLEEK"
with the scope mounted and removed.

Unlike the Picatinny Rails, this does NOT feel or look
like a cheese grater on top of your rifle."

Teehee. " Cheesegrater." Teehee.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Another up for XS rails.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold mount screwed directly to the top strap and use Leupold QD rings to mount the Leupold scope on my 336.

Keep in mind that, depending on the mount height and eye relief of the set-up you go with, that you may need to use use a hammer spur offset as well.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
This is an awesome thread.

I'm thinking about a 30/30 for a trunk gun and putting a red dot on it. A few suggestions here are new to me - and are quite nice.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post