SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sentimental bucket list rifle purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sentimental bucket list rifle purchase Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted
Lots of talk about Ruger rifles lately so I figured I'd show this one off. A little over 25 years ago I killed my first deer with a family friend's tang safety Ruger M77 in 7x57. I'm a sentimental guy so I always said I'd buy one. Tried to buy THE actual gun but my buddy has sentimental attachment to it, as well, so I had to settle for a twin.

Hard to find caliber but Gunbroker had a good deal and I didn't have to outbid anybody. Made it to my door for under $700 wearing an old Japanese Tasco, which has been replaced by the new Nikon Prostaff for the time being. Bluing in great shape, wood in good shape, rifling is fine. It's not a lightweight gun so I'm thinking it'll be a real smooth shooter with 140gr Accubonds or Partitions at about 2700 fps. I would love for one of my boys to also kill their first deer with it. I have a .243 for the other one so they won't have to fight over it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Great choice! Mine's the "International" (aka Mannlicher) style in .30-06 with a Leupold 1-4x.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Great choice! Mine's the "International" (aka Mannlicher) style in .30-06 with a Leupold 1-4x.

That Leupold 1.5-5x20 is the scope that sat atop the original and will ultimately find it's way atop this one.

I had an RSI in .308 for a little while. Lovely rifle.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Mine would be a Swiss 7.5 Mondragon.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Some nice rifles in this thread. Congrats, and enjoy, Yellowjacket. I hope your boys treasure those rifles.

Rogue, that International always catches my attention when you post it. I think I'll have to seek out one of my own some day not too far into the future.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
I took my first deer with my grandfather’s M77 in 250 Savage. Talk about an uncommon caliber! Needless to say, I have deep sentimental attachment to that rifle, and I inherited that same rifle when my grandfather passed.

I’m happy you were able to find a twin for yourself!

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post