SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What? You Luudites don't have a -->White Laser<-- on your long gun???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What? You Luudites don't have a -->White Laser<-- on your long gun??? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://www.gunsamerica.com/di...turbo-olight-review/

Asleep at the wheel? Modern technology passing you by?

Your carbine and shotguns are crying out for this marvel of modern technology, and you're sitting there watching re runs of The Simpsons with orange Cheeto stuff on your face? The local coyotes and home invaders are laughing at you.
Step up and be the first in your neighborhood to shut down their malicious mirth.

"First, let’s talk about what an LEP is. LEP stands for Laser Excited Phosphor and it’s one of the latest developments in flashlight technology. Light is emitted from a blue laser aimed at a fluorescent slice (phosphor) and passes through a collimating lens resulting in a hyper focused white laser beam with zero spill. The technology itself isn’t new and some higher end car manufacturers use LEPs for their headlights. It finally made it’s way into flashlights over the last 2-3 years.
The new Odin Turbo is Olight’s first LEP weapon mounted light and it’s unlike any light I’ve ever used. Powered by a class 1 laser, the Odin Turbo has a max output of just 330 lumens. While this doesn’t sound impressive compared to the standard 800+ lumens found on other lights, the Odin Turbo concentrates almost 100% of that light into a single hotspot. The collimating lens paired with the laser do an incredible job of throwing light out to extreme distances. Olight claims the max throw to be 1,050 meters. There is something oddly satisfying about having a tight focused beam that seems to reach out to infinity. It truly is like having a light saber.

Specs:

Light Output – 330 lumens High, 90 lumens Low
Max. throw distance – 1,050 meters High, 600 meters Low
Weight – 8.78 oz with battery
Length – 6.1 in.
Bezel Diameter – 1.22 in.
Max. run time – 3.5 hours on High, 7.5 hours on Low
Battery – Rechargeable 5,000 mAh 21700
IPX8 Waterproof rating – Able to withstand continuous submersion in water.

Outside is where you really get a sense of how powerful and super focused the beam is. I had no problem illuminating and seeing trees at 300 yards. The beam remains tight and has virtually no spill the entire distance to the tree. The LED beam on the Warrior M2R illuminates the ground all the way out to the tree line and spills into the surroundings and really gives away your position. Having a tight beam all the way to the target not only saves your night vision but also does a better job at keeping you concealed. You can easily sit inside a house and shine out the door without illuminating the room with spill. For someone in LE this could be a huge benefit.
Shining down the bayou, I was able to illuminate objects out to ~600 yards. This was the maximum distance I had access to, but I don’t doubt it could go further. The Odin Turbo will be a great nighttime varmint hunting tool for scanning tree lines. It’d be awesome if Olight eventually made some green or red filters for predator hunting. Long distance throwing is what the Odin Turbo was meant to do and it does it very well."

Edited to add:
"DANGER

• DO NOT cover the flashlight's head or stand the flashlight on its
head when it is on. The radiation energy may cause damage to
the flashlight itself, or even result in the burning of flammable
objects nearby.

Apparently, it can do double-duty as a charcoal grill firestarter.

https://olightworld.com/index....oad/download&did=262

And, a link to its Certificate of Conformity. Its made in Guangdong, China. [beavisbutthead] Huh, huh. He said "Guangdong" Huh, huh. Huh, huh. [/beavisbutthead]

https://olightworld.com/index....oad/download&did=183

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, crap - another Olight light I didn't know I needed but will probably get after an appropriate amount of justification.

Good thing I'm a Olight rewards member! Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A defuser cap like on IR lasers would be useful for indoors.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'm curious- is this tech dangerous to eyes? Even moderately powerful red lasers can be. Green lasers that throw a solid beam absolutely are. I wonder if this one is? I read the specs and Olight SAYS its "eye safe" but I wonder.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Crap. I have been resisting a light on my long gun.
Weakening...

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I'm curious- is this tech dangerous to eyes? Even moderately powerful red lasers can be. Green lasers that throw a solid beam absolutely are. I wonder if this one is? I read the specs and Olight SAYS its "eye safe" but I wonder.

Speed trap LIDAR is shined straight into your retinas for public safety on the highways all the time, so sure, this has to be safe.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is neither here nor there on the issue of eye safety. one needs to know wavelength, energy, duration and exposure and a whole bunch of other factors to decide eye safe.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys are going to cost me money. Again.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Jeez... think looks like it's about to burn a hole right in the side of your wall!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
damn I was impressed with my 1200 lumen light shining 100-200m, now a 330 lumen light that goes over 1km???

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Thanks....My wife looked over my shoulder and just asked me why I'm shopping for lasers.
Cool stuff.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Doggone it!

I didn't even know I needed one of these.

There goes $300...

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
On sale now at olightstore.com for $199 with free shipping.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Picked one up at the sale price, and I have to say I am impressed. So far only used it hand-held, but the spot is even more pronounced than the pictures in the OP make it appear.

Negatives:

- the rail mounting hardware appears to be flimsy, nor does it appear to provide directional adjustment (haven't actually mounted it yet)

- the lack of spill makes it not particularly optimal for walking a trail in the dark.

- the color is not white, but greenish, not particularly attractive.

- spot looks too big to be used as an "aiming laser," and there is no way to adjust the size of the spot.

The next version will hopefully have a focusing/sizing lens that allows tightening the spot, or perhaps with a "managed spill" (a bright laser-like center spot with a less-illuminated halo around it).

Overall, yes I would recommend this to a friend.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Crap. I have been resisting a light on my long gun.
Weakening...

Bruce

Just curious, but why?

White lights are extremely useful on a long gun.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post