SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's the used market for Scar 17s like?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the used market for Scar 17s like? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Is there such a thing as a used market?

Is there even such a thing as a deal on a Scar 17? Or should you always expect to be out to the tune of well over 2 grand?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used 17s seem to be selling around $2500. It goes up from there depending on additions like triggers and rails.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I doubt there will ever be a depressed market for SCAR-17s like there is on ARs right now. I paid $2700 for mine 3 years ago, but I know for a fact it had never been fired. The extras it came with were 6 new mags, GG&G angled charging handle, ERGO pistol grip and a VTAC sling... all of which I had advised my friend to add when he bought the rifle new. Cool

So basically I paid the going rate at the time for a FDE SCAR and got the extras for free. At the time I thought it was a good deal when goods deals were few and marginal. I would probably make the same deal today at that price if I was in the market for a SCAR and didn't have one.

SCARs hold their value, especially the multi-shade FDE versions which are far more accurate and tacti-cooler than the boring black versions.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or should you always expect to be out to the tune of well over 2 grand?

Yes, for a lightly used stock 17 you'll be in the $2400-2600 range. More for upgrades.

I doubt you'll ever get a <$2K used 17 unless it's hot or a lucky personal sale when someone doesn't know what they are selling or just needs cash fast.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I just don't see a really depressed marked for any SCAR right now, or maybe ever. I looked in my records and I paid, in Dec. of 2013, $2657 for a 17 and $2399 for a 16.

Looking around right now used numbers look close to that and new numbers look slightly higher.

Part seems to be supply and demand. As far as people asking more for modified ones, I treat guns like old Chevys. I don't care what you did, to me it's still a 1976 Chevy. I won't pay for your mods because most likely your tastes are different from mine.

If you really want a SCAR I'd recommend using Bud's layaway program and getting an untouched version.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Scar 17 price range seems about 2500 plus... best price new I have ever seen is 2399.00 and that was LE Price. They seem to really hold value, wish magazine prices were the reasonable. I paid 2,449.00 years ago.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
the only used 17's locally are around $3k "with upgrades."

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They hold value for a reason. I can sell mine used for more than I paid for it new. Its worth the price of admission atleast in my book.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same seems to hold true for the 16S. Been thinking of replacing mine (didn’t think I needed a 17S + 16S - wrong!) but the CZ Bren seems like a better buy. Sadly it doesn’t hold its value like a SCAR.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
I looked for a year to buy either a used black or FDE SCAR 17s, the amount I found for sale was extremely low. For that small amount of used SCARs, the prices were always very close to what I ended up paying for mine brand new.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And IMO, the $100-300 you MIGHT save finding a lucky good deal on a used SCAR is offset by the months / years it would take to find said deal. I think the little bit of extra cash is well spent on the extra time you'd have with the weapon.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Almost forgot that if your LE or Mil check with program dealers and you'll probably get the best price youll ever find used or new. I believe mine was in the 23-2400 ballpark.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Almost forgot that if your LE or Mil check with program dealers and you'll probably get the best price youll ever find used or new. I believe mine was in the 23-2400 ballpark.

I checked yesterday. With my NRA instructor discount about $2500 for the 17.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
While the SCAR 17 is good at holding its value there are a lot of overstocked gun dealers out there. It is definitely a buyers market.

I recently picked up a FDE SCAR 17 that was being sold as used. It appeared new and unfired to me. I got the SCAR, 5 magazines and (the best part) a Geissele Super SCAR trigger. The trigger was not installed yet, still in the original packaging. I’ve wanted one for a long time and was pleased with the price with the extras.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sauer Kraut,

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I'm with Rhino, I wouldn't let $100-200 give or take stop me while scouting for a used at a crazy low price. Supply is on the low side and FN rifles tend to retain value. Some may have decent triggers and some are not so great (as military triggers). They're great rifles.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:

Yeah, but good luck getting some. Ive been waiting 18 months for some LE 17's

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:
While the SCAR 17 is good at holding its value there are a lot of overstocked gun dealers out there. It is definitely a buyers market.

I recently picked up a FDE SCAR 17 that was being sold as used. It appeared new and unfired to me. $2400 out the door. I got the SCAR, 5 magazines and (the best part) a Geissele Super SCAR trigger. The trigger was not installed yet, still in the original packaging. Sales tax in NC is 6.75% so overall I think it was a decent deal. I’ve wanted one for a long time and was pleased with that price with the extras.

Thats a smokin deal especially with the trigger. I've heard great things but havent broken down and picked one up. My stock triggers is a bit heavy but clean

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:

Yeah, but good luck getting some. Ive been waiting 18 months for some LE 17's

Yeah, pricing one out and paying the deposit is the easy part.

Meanwhile, I'll be at the range shooting my 16 & 17. Big Grin