SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I like lever guns...and I can not lie...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like lever guns...and I can not lie... Login/Join 
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I love the levers-had a lot, sold most of them. I miss the 1895 Browning (Miroku copy of the 1895 Winchester) the most.

I still have the Marlin cowboy in 38-55 which shoots like a house afire.

Relatively recently I lucked into an El Tigre in 44-40 and it really shot good. I bought it from my friend who got it from an old guy who, we believe, had never shot it. It had storage wear, but appeared unfired. I fixed that ASAP!

Spanish guns get the cold shoulder (and rightfully so, IMO), but the El Tigres were really well made copies of the Winchester 1892 carbines). Supposedly, in those 30s, 40s and early 50s B-Westerns, when you see someone drop or throw a carbine, it's an El Tigre as the Winchesters were thought too valuable to mistreat. I don't know if that's true. Also, allegedly, The Rifleman used three carbines, two Winchesters and an El Tigre which Chuck Conners used if the gun was to get some rough treatment. I tend to believe that one, though I no longer recall where I heard or read that.

I wanted one as a kid, real bad, but never had the $39.95 to buy one. Got one now.

Then today I bought a Uberti 1873 Carbine in 44-40, brand new, unfired and I'll have to fix that pretty quick, too.

I like the 44-40 and the 38-55. I've sold all my reloading stuff, still have a few boxes of cast loads for the 38-55 and am trying to get over the sticker shock of 44-40 factory ammo (like $40 per fifty rounds! Ouch!).

I like levers!

Bob

The cowboy 38-55 is a hell of a gun...the first two shots out of mine were just barely larger than one hole. My eyes are not what they used to be and I ended up letting it go a few years ago. I had a bunch of the cowboy series guns and that was by far my favorite.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I passed on a Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 at the last gun show I went to
Just happened to run on to a 40x Remington that I had to have and dropped too much cash
It’s on the short list

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you find that 38-55, ElKabong. In the meantime, I got to the indoor range today and shot the new 44-40 1873 replica.

For the second time, the range said I could not shoot a 44-40 there. Not sure what they were thinking of, maybe some sort of weapon of mass destruction, but both times, a few seconds of explanation fixed it. I guess I am surprised that so many people, even "gun people" don't know about the 44-40.

Anyway, I got to shoot and the '73 was truly a great shooter. I had a new 20 round box of Hornady Cowboy loads and the holes were all in the center (surprising to me as I was shooting off hand) and in a nice clump.

Gun functioned perfectly and now it's time to go out and clean it. Not my favorite task, but one I have always believed should be done after shooting.

Maybe I will go to the outdoor range and shoot the El Tigre and '73 at 50 and maybe 100 yards. The indoor range is limited to 25 yards so my shooting was not really so phenomenal (but I liked it).

I really do love the levers.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is anyone salivating over the new Marlin Dark series ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I'm currently without a lever gun. When I get the spare change I'm going to pick up something in .45LC, either an older Marlin or a Winchester `73. Or maybe a Henry if they come out with one that has a side gate on it. Roll Eyes

Got room on your Mastercard for $970.00 ? Smile

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted July 07, 2020 12:16 PM
is anyone salivating over the new Marlin Dark series ?

Not me. Aside from being a little ugly, I handled one at the NRA convention last year and was unimpressed by the furniture...it felt like OSB with truck bed liner on it. If I wanted a lever gun with a scout rail, I'd just put one on a regular 336 with wood furniture and call it good. I'm also not a fan of big loop levers.

I don't own any suppressors...I guess if I did the threaded barrel might peak my interest. But to me the appeal of a lever-action is it's handiness, light weight, and supurb balance. Hanging a suppressor off the end of it would kind of ruin that, imo.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I like lever guns but certainly do not like the Marlin Dark.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post