SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I like lever guns...and I can not lie...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like lever guns...and I can not lie... Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Here you go folks. I got my Winchester 1895 today, so here's the family photo. All have perfect shiny bores.

On top: 1892 in 32WCF made in 1896
In the middle: 1894 in 38-55 made in 1896
On the bottom: 1895 in 30US (30-40) made in 1915

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This month's issue of American Rifleman Magazine has an ad for the 250th anniversary edition model .444 lever action. The Marlin website may have additional information.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

WANT!!!
What caliber is that chambered in?

.44 Rem mag
I want one just like that one.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
All Remington made, 2016 to 2019

Marlin 336 .30-30

Marlin 336 .35 Remington

Marlin 1894 .44

Marlin 1895 .45-70

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
That .44 looks like it could use a crimp...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Maybe. Its PPU 300 grain. Haven't had any issues with it out of a revolver.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifithitu:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

WANT!!!
What caliber is that chambered in?

.44 Rem mag
I want one just like that one.

Yeah who wouldn’t? that is really really nice.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
^^^^^
That .44 looks like it could use a crimp...

I noticed that right away as well. I had some 125s in 357 mag that wanted to unseat themselves embarrassing it was and I got the correct crimp die and ran the offending lot through again making sure to lock the die down this time. They were full house loads.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'll keep an eye on them. Neither the 300 grain nor their 240 grain SJHP loads are crimped. Haven't had any issues yet in my Super Blackhawk or Redhawk, but I also haven't check to see if any unified rounds have bullets walking out. I'll look next time. These and PPU's 240 grain loads get excellent reviews.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I'll keep an eye on them. Neither the 300 grain nor their 240 grain SJHP loads are crimped. Haven't had any issues yet in my Super Blackhawk or Redhawk, but I also haven't check to see if any unified rounds have bullets walking out. I'll look next time. These and PPU's 240 grain loads get excellent reviews.

I’d be interested in loading up some of those 300 grainers for deer season; not that hot 240’s have any problem putting meat in the freezer Big Grin Where can you pick up projectiles?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

Keep a close eye on them. In a revolver they don't have anything pushing front to back. In a tube magazine they'll be pushing on each other. Also, the mechanism can hag on them sometimes. Any of this can push the bullets a little deeper in the case. That means more pressure. Just a thought.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d be interested in loading up some of those 300 grainers for deer season; not that hot 240’s have any problem putting meat in the freezer Big Grin Where can you pick up projectiles?

These are factory loads. One of the reasons I am not overly concerned about them. I've used PPU ammo for many years and never had any problems. I'm not sure PPU crimps any .38, .357 or .44. Any bad reviews of the 240 grain and 300 grain concern accuracy, not bullets walking out. I find the ammo to be reasonably accurate, very clean, and always reliable.

https://www.sgammo.com/product...artizan-ammo-pph44mf

posted Hide Post
Curious about the lack of scoped on the rifle caliber guns, does it diminish the value of the gun by scoping it ? I understand , if these never leave the safe. Do lever guys never shoot beyond 100 feet ? Or are their targets the size of garage doors ?

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My eyes are such that if I am aiming at a spiral note book at a 140 feet, I will be needing at least a 4 x scope.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Curious about the lack of scoped on the rifle caliber guns, does it diminish the value of the gun by scoping it ? I understand , if these never leave the safe. Do lever guys never shoot beyond 100 feet ? Or are their targets the size of garage doors ?

I have a scope on my 1964 Marlin 336, in .35Rem. It's a 2x7 Leupold set for 3" high at 100 and zero'd at 200. Really helped in low light and allows me to put the bullet exactly where I want it.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could one suppose that Browning chose the box magazine to help manage any bullet creep that might occur in the 30-06 and .308 calibers ?

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could one suppose that Browning chose the box magazine to help manage any bullet creep that might occur in the 30-06 and .308 calibers ?

If you’re referring to the BLR series, they chose a box to make a lever gun that could shoot the high performance hunting ammo of the day. A box keeps pointy bullets from touching primers in a mag tube. I have one in .308; they are excellent rifles and strong.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you’re referring to the BLR series, they chose a box to make a lever gun that could shoot the high performance hunting ammo of the day. A box keeps pointy bullets from touching primers in a mag tube. I have one in .308; they are excellent rifles and strong.

Don’t forget the internal box magazine guns. Winchester 1895 and Savage 99’s to name the two best known. Both are available in many calibers.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've always liked lever guns for their light weight, balance, rapid follow up shots, and ability to put nice, heavy bullets, on the feral pigs I'd hunt in my former home state (CA). My first was a Winchester "Big Bore" Model 94 in .375 Winchester. Those 250 grain Power Points worked great and spoiled very little meat since they had a muzzle velocity of only 1900 fps. I also bought an old Model 71 and found the .348 Winchester load to work good too. Then the commies in the legislature banned any ammunition but "lead free" for hunting big game and I discovered the ammo I had wasn't just unlawful to use, all copper bullets wouldn't fly properly with the rifling of the leverguns I owned. I bought a Savage Model 99 in .308, made it presentable with a replacement stock and put a decent Leupold scope on it. The Savage works well and my youngest grandson took his first elk with it, but I really miss using the iron sight equipped Winchesters. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the levers-had a lot, sold most of them. I miss the 1895 Browning (Miroku copy of the 1895 Winchester) the most.

I still have the Marlin cowboy in 38-55 which shoots like a house afire.

Relatively recently I lucked into an El Tigre in 44-40 and it really shot good. I bought it from my friend who got it from an old guy who, we believe, had never shot it. It had storage wear, but appeared unfired. I fixed that ASAP!

Spanish guns get the cold shoulder (and rightfully so, IMO), but the El Tigres were really well made copies of the Winchester 1892 carbines). Supposedly, in those 30s, 40s and early 50s B-Westerns, when you see someone drop or throw a carbine, it's an El Tigre as the Winchesters were thought too valuable to mistreat. I don't know if that's true. Also, allegedly, The Rifleman used three carbines, two Winchesters and an El Tigre which Chuck Conners used if the gun was to get some rough treatment. I tend to believe that one, though I no longer recall where I heard or read that.

I wanted one as a kid, real bad, but never had the $39.95 to buy one. Got one now.

Then today I bought a Uberti 1873 Carbine in 44-40, brand new, unfired and I'll have to fix that pretty quick, too.

I like the 44-40 and the 38-55. I've sold all my reloading stuff, still have a few boxes of cast loads for the 38-55 and am trying to get over the sticker shock of 44-40 factory ammo (like $40 per fifty rounds! Ouch!).

I like levers!

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post