SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shockwave/Tac-14 mods.....what have you done to yours?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shockwave/Tac-14 mods.....what have you done to yours? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Originally posted by Malicious Compliance:
AOW

Wrong. They are classified as a firearm.

Yep. Not an AOW. Not a SBS. Not a pistol. Just a "firearm".

Since the overall length is 26+ inches, it's not an AOW. 26+ inch OAL isn't considered to be readily concealable on a person's body by federal law.

(Similar concept to a 26+ inch AR pistol being able to legally add a vertical foregrip without being considered an AOW.)

That's why these non-AOW shotguns have an elongated "birdshead" grip instead of a traditional shotgun pistol grip, to squeeze out the necessary extra few inches of additional length to get it over 26" total.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well now I know why I can't find any factory 14" 870 barrels for a SBS project...they threw all of them on these Tac14s. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. The flip side is that if you want a SBS, now it's easy to buy a Tac-14, shoot it as-is while you wait for the stamp, and then just engrave and stock it once the stamp arrives.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have really taking a liking to my Shockwave, I added a brace and it now is dang near perfect. I wish that I could find a +1 extension that would add an extra 2 ¾ round. I emailed Van Comp about their's and they said it would stick way past the end of the barrel and not look good on the shockwave.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
David W: This is with a Vang +1. Looks a little funky, but should be totally functional.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
David W: This is with a Vang +1. Looks a little funky, but should be totally functional.

Rogue, will that allow one 2 ¾ shell or only a mini? I thought I read were you would need a +2 to get one 2 ¾ shell and maybe that's why they said it would look weird? If not, that will be added after I get one of those Streamlight TL rackers.

David W.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Haven't personally tried it. But if that's the case that a +1 isn't enough extra length for the Shockwave magazine geometry, then a +2 VC extension would definitely protrude significantly.

Sounds like you may be better off with a velcro shell card on the receiver and some extra practice at reloading.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post

My mind just likes the idea of another shell on board Big Grin

David W.

posted Hide Post
As it rusted after spending 45 seconds in the trunk of my cruiser, I spray painted mine with Rustoleum.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:

So what is that classified as? The other posts didn't really explain it. Since it's a pistol brace and not a stock does it fall under a "category" that requires extra paperwork or fees?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:

So what is that classified as? The other posts didn't really explain it. Since it's a pistol brace and not a stock does it fall under a "category" that requires extra paperwork or fees?

It is still classified as a firearm, ATF has determined that attaching a pistol stabilizing brace to a firearm does not alter the classification of the firearm or subject the firearm to NFA stamps.

David W.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I bought a 20ga Shockwave a while back, mostly on a lark and "because I can". I put maybe a couple dozen rounds through it and now it really just sits in the safe. For HD I'd have to trick it out with a sidesaddle, light and probably a laser, don't know if the latter is even possible. And, I already have either my 870 or an AR for HD. With a sidesaddle and MAYBE a folding brace it might make a decent truck gun. I always thought an M1 carbine with a folding stock and a couple extra mags would make a dandy truck gun, but the price those are going for these days makes it a non-starter for me.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I always thought an M1 carbine with a folding stock and a couple extra mags would make a dandy truck gun, but the price those are going for these days makes it a non-starter for me.

Back in my dad's LE days (70s to early 80s), that was the go-to patrol rifle. Many officers had M1 Carbines riding around in their patrol cars.

But yeah, prices have risen considerably.

posted Hide Post
I bought a Nightstick because of the look of it. I threw a side saddle on it, but it in a racket ball case and its in the trunk. SURPRISE!

I had it out to the range for a proper function test. Ate everything I gave it, pattern was fine at 7 yards, even liked the mini-shells.

I was concerned about recoil, but the flight control was really nice.

I think it has limited applications but is a cool piece and I like to keep it handy, for um, close encounters........ Smile

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have the shockwave. I installed the SB Brace and a more positive Alum. safety and adapter to shoot the small shells.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post