SIGforum
CZ Bren 2 MS Carbine

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6610033074

May 20, 2020, 07:38 AM
Andyb
CZ Bren 2 MS Carbine
I have one of the original military import Bren 2s pistols. Not sure why they changed so much on the 2MS including ditching the lightening cuts in the reviewer.

I too am waiting on the 308 version

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."
May 20, 2020, 08:28 AM
110JBP
It looks like the ACR, and I am not saying that's a bad thing. Nice rifle.
May 20, 2020, 06:55 PM
hrcjon
interesting analog the acr. be interesting if CZ is able to deliver on barrel length and caliber changes. I would think not based on history, but if they do that's a big plus. At the moment I'd be happy if we could find 7.62x39 mags at some point.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
May 21, 2020, 06:22 AM
djpaintles
I have a couple of the Bren's they are indeed very good weapons. I even bought the conversion kit to original magazines for one of them.

The biggest comparison I could make between them and the SCAR's is that though the Bren's are somewhat less expensive the SCAR's they don't have nearly the aftermarket support here that the SCAR's do. You have to weigh the lower cost of the BREN vs the greater Flexibility and maintainability of the SCAR.

I certainly wouldn't feel underequiped with either weapon and am happy to own both. If I could only own one or the other for me it would be the SCAR.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
May 21, 2020, 07:40 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
though the Bren's are somewhat less expensive the SCAR's they don't have nearly the aftermarket support here that the SCAR's do. You have to weigh the lower cost of the BREN vs the greater Flexibility and maintainability of the SCAR.

For now. The SCAR has been around for longer, so naturally it has more aftermarket support.

Keep in mind that the CZ Scorpion had minimal aftermarket support when it was first introduced, but that is no longer the case. Aftermarket support has exploded as it gained popularity.
May 21, 2020, 07:57 AM
PGT
I guess I would ask what is missing or needs to be replaced in response to that. Maybe the handguard but there are already options on the way.

I’d add some iron sights, a RDS, a sling and shoot the piss out of it.
May 21, 2020, 01:12 PM
djpaintles
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
though the Bren's are somewhat less expensive the SCAR's they don't have nearly the aftermarket support here that the SCAR's do. You have to weigh the lower cost of the BREN vs the greater Flexibility and maintainability of the SCAR.

For now. The SCAR has been around for longer, so naturally it has more aftermarket support.

Keep in mind that the CZ Scorpion had minimal aftermarket support when it was first introduced, but that is no longer the case. Aftermarket support has exploded as it gained popularity.

Good point about the Scorpion which is a great gun for sure but my 2 Bren's have already been replaced by a newer model. I seriously doubt they will ever receive much aftermarket support.

I wonder what the parts interchangeability is as far as firing pins, gas plugs and other replaceable items between the Bren 1 and Bren 2? I may need to lay in at least a couple parts for my earlier models just to be sure I can keep shooting them long term.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
May 27, 2020, 07:55 PM
onpointgun
I finally bought my new optic for it. I think this is going to be a nice set up.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.
May 27, 2020, 08:39 PM
hrcjon
My 7.62x39 bren2 arrived today. Will be interesting to shoot it. I have lots of experience with short barrel ar's but not with7.62x39.

May 28, 2020, 06:24 PM
creslin
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
I finally bought my new optic for it. I think this is going to be a nice set up.

Is that an NX8?

This is where my signature goes.
May 28, 2020, 06:42 PM
onpointgun
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:

Is that an NX8?

Nope I wish I bought a NXS 1-4 from a buddy that had one in his safe that he never mounted.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.
May 28, 2020, 06:42 PM
ersatzknarf
Hrcjon,

You've been holding out on us, man!!!

May 28, 2020, 08:02 PM
esdunbar
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Good point about the Scorpion which is a great gun for sure but my 2 Bren's have already been replaced by a newer model. I seriously doubt they will ever receive much aftermarket support.

I wonder what the parts interchangeability is as far as firing pins, gas plugs and other replaceable items between the Bren 1 and Bren 2? I may need to lay in at least a couple parts for my earlier models just to be sure I can keep shooting them long term.

I would argue the Bren 2 already has better support than the SCAR 16. Have you ever tried to buy a spare part for a SCAR? It’s like buying hens teeth. CZ on the other hand sells every single little part in their guns freely on their website.

Also, HBI makes handguards, Dan Haga makes adapters, there are a couple companies making rail sections...other than trigger I think it’s all there and the trigger is just a matter of time. One of the major reasons I love CZ as a company is because they will sell you every tiny component of their guns.

Even if the price was the same, the Bren 2 wins hands down imo. It’s slimmer and sleeker for sure. The SCAR feels bulky in comparison. And the bolt on the Bren is insanely smooth. I need to see a bit more on the accuracy of the Bren 2 however. I’m reading mixed reviews so far.

The SCAR 16 is 3k and the Bren 2 carbine is currently at 2k and will settle in around $1.7k, so when I consider that, it really wins.

The only thing the Bren 2 doesn’t have yet is a robust proven track record. CZ as a company definitely has one, but this gun will have to stand on its own.
May 28, 2020, 08:38 PM
hrcjon
You can argue all you want about the bren2 having better support, but it would be just that a spurious argument. I have bought many spare parts for the scar. Once hard to get I agree, but no longer. CZ might list parts on their website, but for the moment you can't get any. Take a look. Mag for the 7.62x39 the most basic item... no bolt no barrel no extractor no springs no pretty much the rest of the parts you might want no. I happen to like CZ for parts they do a really good job. But at the moment in the lifecycle of this product they haven't got to their normal. So for the moment it does not have better support. And the aftermarket is pretty thin compared to the SCAR. That mostly reflects the current lifecycle and will probably improve, but its not where we are today.

May 28, 2020, 09:22 PM
HKAngusKL
From what I have read, the 2MS carbine has a heavier profile barrel than the military variant or pistols that have been imported. Anyone been able to get any range time to see how it shoots?

I would normally agree about CZ being a great value, but am still a bit sore about them discontinuing the Bren S1 so quickly after it had been released in rifle form. Hopefully, the Bren 2 will be around for the long haul.
May 28, 2020, 09:47 PM
hrcjon
quote:
You've been holding out on us, man!!!

not sure how. I'm now at 5 of these bren2s. They really seem quite nice substantially better than the earlier one. We shall see as I said on the 7.62x39 one as I haven't been to the range with it, but the 5.56 ones seem quite acceptable. Not willing to ditch the SCAR as my go to, but certainly an acceptable alternative.

May 28, 2020, 10:22 PM
esdunbar
Spurious argument? lol get bent man. FFS you’re annoying.

You’re also the only person who seems to think SCAR spare parts are easy to find, congrats.

As for the accuracy of the M2S my experience isn’t enough to really know. They are shooting one ragged hole at 40 yards but that’s not impressive.
May 28, 2020, 10:23 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
You’re also the only person who seems to think SCAR spare parts are easy to find, congrats.
Not the only person. Wink
May 29, 2020, 08:25 AM
esdunbar
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Not the only person. Wink

I looked around, I stand corrected, it’s muuuuuuch better than it used to be. One of the things that kept me from being a “SCAR guy” was the fact that I couldn’t find any parts.

Still, aftermarket support is an argument I’d say is a tie/nonissue when comparing the SCAR and the Bren 2.
May 29, 2020, 09:34 AM
Brett B
quote:

You can just about build an entire SCAR from the OEM parts that are available. While not as easy to find as the ubiquitous DI AR15 (nothing else is of course) I have had no problems buying every single spare part I could wish for to keep all of my SCARs running. The BREN is understandably not at this level yet. Here is my current spares list (hopefully useful for others):

16S Unique Parts
F144200020 SCAR 16S Bolt Assembly
F144310010 FNH SCAR 16S Firing Pin
F144240020 FNH SCAR 16S Extractor
F144270010 FNH SCAR 16S Spring, Ejector
F144400010 FNH SCAR 16S Return Spring Assembly
F144430010 FNH SCAR 16S Return Spring
F144410010 FNH SCAR 16S Guide Rod

16S/17S Common Parts
F141290020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas regulator
F141200010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas Piston Assembly
F141220010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ring, Piston