SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    That long gun under your bed (poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That long gun under your bed (poll) Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Or wherever you keep it at the ready; what's your currently trusted long arm?

I'm curious how the statics fall out in 2018.

Question:
Is it a

Choices:
high powered rifle or SBR ?
pistol caliber carbine or SBR?
shotgun?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need an ‘ All of the above’ button.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marlin 336 ... corner of bedroom, lightly concealed.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Rifle

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
5.56 rifle

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pump city!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have migrated back to a pump shotty (870) in my case.

The more I look at the realities of any real SD situation a few things stick out to me.
-Living in suburbia means any errand round is going to probably find it’s way into another house wall. A shotgun will limit that due to its much closer range of effectiveness and the spread of the pellets as range increases.

-Spending a little time in law Enforcement in an ancillary way my experience was, folks don’t take a round of 00 and generally continue a fight. They do at times take a .223 and do so. I honestly think it has less to do with energy on target and more to do with multiple simultaneous wound channels. It’s almost like a tight 9 shot SMG burst.

-the reality is needing more then a couple rounds of 00 buck is unlikely. Using a full tube of 6 or 7 should be winning the bad luck lottery. (I am in no way saying you are crazy to have a 30 round EBR at the read. More ammo is only bad if you are swimming or on fire) I am just saying that I have come to the conclusion for my personal risk level that I think 6-8 rounds of 00 should be fine.

-The shotty gives me options. Smaller buck, slugs, bird shot(I don’t recommend but I could see limited situations where it might be prudent). Etc. a rifle always gives me a rifle round.

Now don’t get me wrong, there are a whole host of disadvantages but it’s all about weighing personal pros vs cons of whatever tool you use.

AND NO, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN CLACK CLACK AS A DETERENT. THE ONLY SOUND MY SHOTGUN MAKES BEFORE FIRING IS THE SNICK OF THE SAFETY. ALSO FOR THOSE WHO READ THIS WHO ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH SHOTGUNS.....YES VIRGINIA YOU DO ACTUALLY HAVE TO AIM. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
5.45x39 goodness, currently.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
rifle

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
300 Blackout pistol with SIG brace.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A 7.5" 300 Blackout pistol...I kept tripping over the Ma Deuce linked belts...so it had to go Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
These are both within reach of my bed. .45ACP and 5.56 goodies.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5.56 SBR

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Shotgun.

590A1 beside the bedroom door
Beretta 92A1 in the passenger seat
Beretta 92G behind the end table beside the living room couch
S&W M10 in the utensil drawer in the kitchen
Glock 17 (gen 2) under the workbench in the garage (it's humid out there)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
7.5" suppressed 300blk SBR.

Granted, it's still loud since I have it loaded with supersonic ammo.

I have some Lehigh ME subsonic ammo, but I want to try it out on deer first.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
CX9.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
5.56 suppressed SBR...

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Literally "under" the bed, a Benelli M1 12 gauge.
Within reach, a Colt 6920 custom; even closer, a Sig P220!

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rem 870 with a red dot and WML.
At some point it will be swapped out for a Beretta 1301 with a red dot and WML.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have all of them nearby and ready, plus small, medium and large handguns.

Loaded and not too far away are:

.308 semi-auto rifle
5.56 semi-auto carbine
9mm semi-auto carbine
9mm semi-auto pistol
.357 revolver
.40 semi-auto pistol
.44 magnum revolver
.45 semi-auto pistol
12 ga. pump

You see, I don't have any children in the house, I work from home as does my SO, so someone is always here, and my safe isn't big enough for everything, so some stuff is just ready to go.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post