SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Ordered - Budget Red Dot Suggestions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Ordered - Budget Red Dot Suggestions? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Coworker is finally wanting to pick up an AR (after the past couple years of urging him to get one while they were cheap).

Anyone know any vendors that have ARs in stock (M&P Sport II or similar, entry level) that I can direct him to?

OP Edit:
He ordered a rifle (in 2 pieces) & will be adding a rear sight (probably MBUS).

Thoughts on a good, budget/entry level red dot?
Was thinking something like the Sparc AR?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
https://palmettostatearmory.co...r15-guns/rifles.html

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim, will forward that his way.
Guessing the days of the sub-700 complete rifles are done for a while.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I have a Radical upper and like it. They seem well built especially for the money.

https://aimsurplus.com/radical...ocom-b5-m-lok-rifle/

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Found a complete upper & lower on PSA that comes out just a bit less than a complete rifle.
He's on hold with a local FFL to get the info to process the sale through.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ordered.
Thanks guys.

Went with a complete lower & upper, separately. Came in under $600 (before tfr).

Just need to add a rear sight & some magazines, now.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If I didn't own so much Aimpoint I'd buy a Holosun if I were looking for a new RDS.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I’m running Vortex Spitfire 1x and Sig Romeo 4 and have no complaints about either. My friend has a Romeo 5 and it is a nice option in the $100 range.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Vortex SPARC here. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Holosun HS510C

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Primary arms labeled red dots, (have a couple)
Bushnell TRS or tr-25 (or whatever it is called now)

almost picked up a Sig Romeo, but after looking at what I have, I realized I did not need one,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bazillion to choose from these days:

https://www.midwayusa.com/red-...6Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest sticking to iron sights on that AR, but people think bolting things onto a rifle automatically "improves" it.

When people start talking about budget electronics, a little alarm should go off in your head: "warningwarningwarning..."

Don't put Chinese anything on your rifle.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'd suggest sticking to iron sights on that AR, but people think bolting things onto a rifle automatically "improves" it.

When people start talking about budget electronics, a little alarm should go off in your head: "warningwarningwarning..."

Agreed, should've prefaced with Budget 'quality' RDS.
I advised him to get comfortable with it on iron sights first & think about extras afterward.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
An Aimpoint is a worthy item on an AR. But will cost more than half the price of the rifle. But worth it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Bushnell TRS-25

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Holosun HS510C is a great RDS. I just purchased another one but after I installed and zero'd my Troy iron sights. I'd recommend good quality irons first and zero them. Once that's done, nothing wrong with putting an RDS on as well.

At the risk of being put on a rail and carried out of town, I'll admit to owning a couple of Sitemark's as well. For a budget sight, I'm impressed with Sitemark.

Ive run a Sitemark on my Ruger 9mm PC Carbine Rifle which is not a kind to any RDS. At Steel matches with the Ruger, the Sitemark has never gone down or lost zero. It even provides a choice between green or red dots depending on your fancy on any particular day.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The Spark is junk. Look at the specs... battery only last like 2000 or 5000 hours or something ridiculous. It’s like 15 year old technology. You can buy the same thing from dealextreme for $20, but since an American company imports them and gives you a life time warranty they mark it up to $150.

Look for a red dot with the latest technology... they will have 50,000 hour battery life in the specs and be similar in price to that Sparc.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Agree and what some people may not realize, with the exceptions of companies like aimpoint and trijicon, almost all the other red dots no matter who’s name is stamped on the side are made in China

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post